XL2430T Firmware Information

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
djriful

Re: XL2430T Firmware Information

Post by djriful » 01 Jan 2015, 03:01

VT1500
100Hz
Intensity = 01
Area = 50
Single Strobe = OFF

djriful

Post by djriful » 01 Jan 2015, 03:02

VT1500
120Hz
Intensity = 01
Area = 40
Single Strobe = OFF

For 120Hz same as above picture.

Maybe because I stare mostly at the top area of the screen than the bottom in most games. VT Tweak did not improve in that zone unless I push Area to 40-50.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Jan 2015, 04:10

Ok.....
what the hell is the intensity variable?
If it were only persistence (aka "old" strobe duty"), you would not be able to even take a screen picture because the screen would be too dark! With the VT 1500 tweak on a Z monitor, if strobe duty is set to 001, the persistence is exactly 0.167ms, and the screen is almost too dark to read anything.

if you're still here, can you tell me what the monitor's brightness (luminance) and the quality of the blur reduction is, when intensity is set to the lowest value (1) and the highest value (25?)
Does it affect the amount of inverse or normal ghosting (trailing image?)
How bright or dark is the difference between minimum and max intensity?
On the moving pictures test (not alien invasion, its one of the ones above it), does it affect text readability?

Because initensity 001, without a VT tweak, "should" have the screen almost completely dark ...I'm going to try to take pictures through my horrible laptop of my screen. Don't expect much, though.

It looks like strobe duty on the 2430T seems to somehow affect ghosting...the overdrive artifacts in your pictures are MUCH lower than on the 2720Z or 2420Z

Masterotaku?

Chief?
Can you chime in?

*edit*
Sorry can't take pictures...laptop webcam is like 5-10 fps and super low resolution...can't even make out the UFO in the screen shot, instead of blur reduction its "blur enhancer!"

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Jan 2015, 05:38

Hmm, I zoomed into your picture and here's what it looks like

1) ghosting is much lower on yours than on the 2720Z. I don't know if that's because of blur reduction 2.0 or because I have a 27" panel. Ghosting is always worse on the 27" than the 24" panels (that's how it was on the Lightboost models as well). I'd need a 2420Z to compare apples to apples, because in a much older post, someone tested the 2720Z and 2420Z side by side, and they said the overdrive artifacts were lower on the 2420Z (as expected).

2) Your testufo background color seems more light blueish. Mine seems more greenish.

3) strobe duty 001 (with BBR on of course, and VT 1500) on mine makes the screen --very-- dark. MUCH darker than brightness=0 and blur reduction off. it's even darker than brightness 0 and contrast 0 with BBR off, although not by much.

4) Definitely interested in what 'intensity does' (as I rambled about in the post above this one).
Sorry for harassing you about this...if only someone could donate masterotaku or Chief a 2430T :(
Report back when you have time.

5) the BIG difference I noticed:
The "area" 000 setting is different than the strobe phase 000 setting on the Z monitors. The positioning of the top strobe pulse seems to start off -lower- on the 2430T than it does on the Z monitors.
Also your screen seems to 'accept' VT tweaks better with a higher value for strobe phase.

(question: if you pump up strobe phase to 100, WITH (not without, just with) the VT tweak, does your backlight shut off? if so, at what value of Area/phase does it shut off?)

At 120hz and VT 1500 on a Z monitor, strobe phase 050 or higher shuts off the backlight (strobe phase 049 drops the persistence to 0.167ms, the lowest possible value)
At 100hz and VT 1500, strobe phase 060 or higher shuts off the backlight (strobe phase 059=0.167ms persistence, 060=no backlight).
On the Z monitors, raising strobe duty from 003 going down to 030 slowly drops the position of the 'top crosstalk pulse making it move down the screen (slowly), but not as much as strobe phase. So you would want a strobe duty as low as possible.

On the 2720Z (and 2420Z), using or NOT using a VT tweak has absolutely no effect on the position of the TOP crosstalk error zone, it remains at the very top (or off screen completely) at strobe duty 003 and strobe phase 000--the VT tweak would only push the BOTTOM farther away from the top (thus pushing it off screen!) Seems like the 2430T changed this somehow, which is good because on the Z models, there was no way to use a HIGHER persistence without making the top of the screen look WORSE. Looks like Benq did this on purpose, if my guess is right, this change is very good.

djriful

Post by djriful » 01 Jan 2015, 13:02

Note: below pictures are stock without VT Tweaks

2) It's Cyan, a compose color of blue and green. XL2430T is calibrated side by side with my calibrated 27" IPS monitor (color accurate) via OSD only. No ICC, Nvidia Color been touched.

3) Intensity is Strobe Duty as said in the Service menu, 01 to 25 max. Unless they forgot to change the name of it.

Intensity / Strobe Duty at 01 is bright, 25 is like 0% brightness with Blur Reduction OFF.

Last edited by djriful on 01 Jan 2015, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

djriful

Post by djriful » 01 Jan 2015, 13:11

FYI: Screen brightness shut off

VT1500
120Hz
Area = 41+

VT1500
100Hz
Area = 51+

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Jan 2015, 13:16

So they reversed it, apparently.
1 intensity =low effect of blur reduction=bright screen (high persistence in ms, e.g. 2.5ms)
25 intensity (max)=dark screen=lowest persistence in ms=highest effect of blur reduction, e.g. 0.5ms
But now there are only 25 values instead of 30...
Wonder what the actual persistence values are on this thing.

Anyone want to send one over to Masterotaku? he's going to have a field day with this thing...

Thank you for your help and those pictures.

You said the backlight shuts off at 51+ area with the Vt tweak.
Very interesting. Yet at area 50, the crosstalk at the top is completely OFF the screen and its also completely off the screen at the BOTTOM, with just the "normal" ghosting showing some more intense normal ghosting (literally the same as phase 000 and duty 006 on mine). Almost exactly the same, in fact.

But on mine if I move area to 59 (or 49 if its 120hz), there's a big difference in the position of the strobe pulse settling errors.
On yours, the worst part of the errors is completely off the screen. at the bottom.
On the 2720Z it's still visible; it's not quite pushed off the screen.
So they definitely recalibrated it to respond better to VT tweaks. If I didn't know better, and I'm sure Masterotaku is going to eat up my analysis of this, it seems like they literally -inverted- everything, to make higher persistence values easier to use with VT tweaks ! (without VT tweaks, this doesn't matter, since you have the full 0-100 range of strobe phase, to make either the top or the bottom of the screen perfect, but without accelerated scanout (e.g. VT tweaks), you can't have BOTH the top and bottom looking great.

Masterotaku sort of did this with his 2420Z with VT, he pushed the strobe phase as high as it would go before the screen would darken out, pushing the 'top' strobe pulse to the very bottom, although on our monitors, it wouldn't go fully off the bottom before the backlight got to 0 persistence and blanks; it would get very close to the bottom, then it would stop dropping and instead the persistence would go down instead. On yours, it actually goes off the screen before blanking (if I'm understanding you correctly).

Masterotaku, do you want to take a picture of the crosstalk settling errors at strobe phase 057 and compare it to the 2430T at area 050?
Last edited by Falkentyne on 01 Jan 2015, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

djriful

Post by djriful » 01 Jan 2015, 13:19

Falkentyne wrote:So they reversed it, apparently.
1 intensity =low effect of blur reduction=bright screen (high persistence in ms, e.g. 2.5ms)
25 intensity (max)=dark screen=lowest persistence in ms=highest effect of blur reduction, e.g. 0.5ms
But now there are only 25 values instead of 30...
Wonder what the actual persistence values are on this thing.

Anyone want to send one over to Masterotaku? he's going to have a field day with this thing...
That probably explains why the suggested Tweaks didn't work on mine...

I want to put a note:

Having VT1500, Strobe Duty at 01. Area 00 the image is bright and blurry than stock, pushing it up Area 40/50, the image is sharper no blur and the brightness only drops like 5%.

While pushing the Area incremental number, the crosswalk shadow moves down until it goes off the screen at the bottom near 40 (120Hz) / 50 (100Hz) before it gets darker till shutoff.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 01 Jan 2015, 13:25

I had a post prepared but both of you were faster than me :lol: .

Good to know that intensity is reversed.
Falkentyne wrote: 1) ghosting is much lower on yours than on the 2720Z. I don't know if that's because of blur reduction 2.0 or because I have a 27" panel.
He took the photos without following the UFOs with the camera. Overdrive artifacts look a lot fainter than in real life. I remember that when Chief posted a photo of his XL2720Z, it was a still photo and it almost didn't show artifacts (only crosstalk), and that made me think the XL2411Z wouldn't have overdrive artifacts. And you see that you and me have them :( .
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

djriful

Post by djriful » 01 Jan 2015, 13:28

masterotaku wrote:I had a post prepared but both of you were faster than me :lol: .

Good to know that intensity is reversed.
Falkentyne wrote: 1) ghosting is much lower on yours than on the 2720Z. I don't know if that's because of blur reduction 2.0 or because I have a 27" panel.
He took the photos without following the UFOs with the camera. Overdrive artifacts look a lot fainter than in real life. I remember that when Chief posted a photo of his XL2720Z, it was a still photo and it almost didn't show artifacts (only crosstalk), and that made me think the XL2411Z wouldn't have overdrive artifacts. And you see that you and me have them :( .
That's not the case, shutter at 1/100 for 100Hz. I did compare to my shot and the screen after taken the photo on my DSLR and it looks the same as I see with my naked eyes.

Try open that image in new tab, forums shrunk it.

Same thing with the brightness shots, manually adjust my shutter, exposure, iso till it shows same as naked eyes for you guys to see.