XL2430T Firmware Information

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2430T Firmware Information

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jan 2015, 21:39

New Strobe Utility Beta that works with XL2420G's (works in Classic Mode over DVI) and XL2430T (untested)

http://www.blurbusters.com/files/BlurBu ... p_BETA.msi

Currently unsigned publisher at the moment, so if installing under Windows 8, click "More Info" and run anyway.

Please let me know if it works on BENQ XL2430T's
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

djriful

Post by djriful » 02 Jan 2015, 01:23

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Jan 2015, 02:58

BTW Chief when you fix that detection issue, remember on the 2430T, strobe duty has a reduced range of 1-25 (instead of 1-30) and duty (intensity) seems to have the values reversed (1=highest persistence, 25=lowest (dimmest screen, most clear motion).
Most likely the values are the same (60hz pulse widths with a VT tweak, Intensity/duty 1=5ms, duty 25=0.167ms) but this is a pure and complete guess, because the math doesn't work (each increase in strobe duty (backlight pulse width) has to be a multiple of the first, and that would only work if the max or minimum persistence values were changed or removed.

djrful, can you do a quick test?
(first, enable single strobe; it avoids certain "bugs" with strobe settings not working initially when you enable BBR in the OSD)

First, set 144 hz, intensity 25 (dimmest), brightness 100 contrast 50.
disable BR (extremely bright), then enable BR.

Screen should be extremely dim.
(idk if they fixed the bug from Z series with 2430T, but if single strobe is off, enabling BR will use default strobe phase/duty values (even though 90+hz ALWAYS single strobes), meaning, a bright screen, until any change is made to duty, phase or brightness, then custom settings instantly get applied)

Then drop the brightness from 100 to 0.
The brightness should change--but very lightly...there will be very little difference between brightness 100 and 0.
Then drop the contast from 50 to 0.
Dropping contrast should have a far more drastic effect on brightness than dropping brightness itself (which Is already being dropped immensely by the very aggressive strobing)

How dim is the screen now?
Should be like <10 cd/m2.

Persistence on Z series at 144 hz should be 0.07 ms to 2.1ms in 30 steps
Persistence on 2430T at 144 hz (using 144 hz backlight pulse widths, no VT tweak of course) might NOT be 2.1ms to 0.07 ms in 25 steps inverted, because 0.07x25 is only 1.75 (!)(Purely conjecture and guessing, and that's assuming that 5 of the persistence vales were not "dropped", e.g. strobe duty 026-030 was "removed, which IF that were the case, would make the persistence range (100/120hz with a VT tweak) 0.167 ms-4.175 ms in 25 steps (instead of 0.167-5ms in 30 steps), or, if benq wanted to be cheesy, 1ms-5ms (removing old duty 001-005, which would *SUCK*).

Any other option wouldn't make mathematical sense, since you could NEVER have 0.167ms to 5 ms (60hz pulse widths) in 25 steps, since EVERY step would have to be a multiple of the first, e.g. 0.167x 1, 0.167ms x 2, 0.167ms x 3 (etc) since these are pulse widths....

djriful

Post by djriful » 02 Jan 2015, 03:28

What was the bug? You mean BR on and off makes no differences on the Z series until you move the brightness, contrast?

Here BR on and off, changes are in effect immediately. Super bright and dim.

Brightness and Contrast at 0
<10 cd/m2. yeah... very dark.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2015, 03:39

XL2420G -- success reports received
XL2420T -- success reports not received

BENQ just recently told me that the DDC/VCP codes are not available for the XL2430T, so I'm starting to get doubtful I can fix the XL2430T detection issue. However, if anyone can help, please download Entech Taiwan's SoftMCCS:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm
Run softmccs.exe and try to play with the settings.

And try to find settings (0x40, 0x41, 0x42) that will adjust the strobe settings. If you find I2C DDC/CI commands (even mislabelled as Keystone or other obscure settings, or one of the extended 0xF0 codes), please report back. You can also attempt undocumented DCC commands by doing the 03 command. For example 03 10 00 00 sets brightness to minimum, and 03 10 00 5F sets brightness level to 95. (03 is DDC write, and 01 is DDC read). You can carefully randomly try the 03 F0...03 FF user-defined VCP commands.

Blur Busters Strobe Utility uses the Display Data Channel (DCC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel
to control the monitor. The Monitor Control Command Set is at:
ftp://ftp.cis.nctu.edu.tw/pub/csie/Soft ... mccsV3.pdf
The BENQ commands are at VCP 0x40, 0x41 and 0x42 on the Z-series and the G-Series (Classic Mode only). Those are normally used for other things (e.g. projectors) that do not make sense in a monitor, so those VCP code numbers were commandeered to control the strobe settings.

Thanks for reporting any codes, if you discover VCP codes that adjusts the strobe settings, which makes them programmatically controllable from the PC.

Cheers,
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Jan 2015, 08:07

djriful wrote:What was the bug? You mean BR on and off makes no differences on the Z series until you move the brightness, contrast?

Here BR on and off, changes are in effect immediately. Super bright and dim.

Brightness and Contrast at 0
<10 cd/m2. yeah... very dark.
Oh, the bug:
if single strobe is turned OFF, at 86-99 hz refresh rate (99 is just a guess, as it affects 91hz for sure), all strobe adjustments are ignored completely, but it always single strobes.

if single strobe is turned ON, strobe adjustments are used right away (at all refresh rates 60-144).
At 100+ hz-144hz refresh rate, if single strobe is turned OFF, default strobe settings are used when BBR is activated, but all strobe adjustments instantly 'trigger' activation of your custom strobe settings, as well as brightness triggering it also.

That's why the windows blur reduction utility enables single strobe on any slider change--to avoid that 'bug' happening.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Jan 2015, 10:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:XL2420G -- success reports received

BENQ just recently told me that the DDC/VCP codes are not available for the XL2430T, so I'm starting to get doubtful I can fix the XL2430T detection issue. However, if anyone can help, please download Entech Taiwan's SoftMCCS:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm
Run softmccs.exe and try to play with the settings.

And try to find settings (0x40, 0x41, 0x42) that will adjust the strobe settings. If you find I2C DDC/CI commands (even mislabelled as Keystone or other obscure settings, or one of the extended 0xF0 codes), please report back. You can also attempt undocumented DCC commands by doing the 03 command. For example 03 10 00 00 sets brightness to minimum, and 03 10 00 5F sets brightness level to 95. (03 is DDC write, and 01 is DDC read). You can carefully randomly try the 03 F0...03 FF user-defined VCP commands.

Blur Busters Strobe Utility uses the Display Data Channel (DCC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel
to control the monitor. The Monitor Control Command Set is at:
ftp://ftp.cis.nctu.edu.tw/pub/csie/Soft ... mccsV3.pdf
The BENQ commands are at VCP 0x40, 0x41 and 0x42 on the Z-series and the G-Series (Classic Mode only). Those are normally used for other things (e.g. projectors) that do not make sense in a monitor, so those VCP code numbers were commandeered to control the strobe settings.

Thanks for reporting any codes, if you discover VCP codes that adjusts the strobe settings, which makes them programmatically controllable from the PC.

Cheers,
Do be careful and use common sense with DDC commands. You can do some real funky stuff there. You can actually shut the backlight off with the wrong commands / reduce the brightness value below zero. There's a safety reset on the S-switch, some sort of combination of pressing all the buttons and the wheel at once will put the monitor into standard mode. I tried softMCCS doing the basic setup tests, and not only did it erase all of my saved settings, during one of its tests where it was supposed to 'recall' settings during a test, it made the screen almost too dim to see after 'resetting' to defaults (and blur reduction was off!). I had to press a profile preset to get a normal screen; it had almost shut the backlight off.

If you ever have the screen in a state you don't want to to be in, and you can't reset it, you should be able to get back to a usable state by unplugging the monitor from the cord, pressing the power button with it unplugged (to discharge all power), waiting for awhile, and then plugging the power cord back in.

Powerful program but use common sense when making changes.

Blacky007

Post by Blacky007 » 02 Jan 2015, 10:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote: XL2420G -- success reports received
Hi
I have XL2420T and a XL2420Z running - during the detection I get a warning that it has detectet older T series model.
In the main Utility there is a "Error during detecting Monitors" on the left - but the changing for Presisence and Crosstalk works.

But the strobelight tool doesn't work correct
It runs normal on the first monitor and count to 144 but it runs endless on the second monitor!
if the XL2420Z is the first it runs endless on the First and doesn't stop or went to the second one

Greetings Blacky

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Jan 2015, 10:31

Chief:

I think you meant XL2430T not XL2420T :)
Might want to edit that just in case.

bb_lpe

Post by bb_lpe » 10 Nov 2018, 23:19

Hi, can someone tell me what are the XL2430T default values of Strobe Duty; Strobe Phase and Single Strobe ON/OFF ?

I ask this because I've changed those values, and I think it coincides with the problem that i'm having, that is eye strain, I never had problems looking to a monitor, I always played for hours days n days, but now and suddenly I have eye strain, I just can't be on a PC whit this monitor.
I've tested with an older LCD monitor from fujitsu-siemens with 19 inches (1280*1024) and with this monitor I don't have problems even when i'm watching battlefield with a high FOV.

I don't know if i caused some problem with the refreshing by changing those values on the service menu, i've made a reset within the OSD.

Regards.