Looking at the XL2420Z for console games...

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
boulmerbear

Looking at the XL2420Z for console games...

Post by boulmerbear » 07 Dec 2014, 06:02

After seeing your article on the strobe utility, I've been convinced. I'm sick of ghosting in games I know are 60fps and are usually smooth when played through a CRT. But at the moment I only have access to a laptop which has a HDMI out on it.

Will the software be able to configure properly using this method of display?

Thank you.

Falkentyne

Re: Looking at the XL2420Z for console games...

Post by Falkentyne » 07 Dec 2014, 06:40

Yes, but for 60 fps console games, you should enable single strobe and set the strobe phase to 000. You can enter the service menu by holding down Menu with the power off, for 5 seconds, then press the power button at the same time as holding down menu. Then you can adjust what you want through the service menu.

For 30fps games, I suggest you turn off single strobe. Double strobe on a 30 fps game looks better than single strobing it and double strobe on a 60fps game looks slightly better than 60fps without blur reduction.

60 FPS on a CRT will always look better than 60 FPS on a strobed LCD, because of the natural phosphor "aliasing" and faint blurring effect on a CRT (ask chief about that) makes stutters with vsync on, look better than stutters on a LCD with vsync on.

boulmerbear

Post by boulmerbear » 31 Dec 2014, 16:51

Falkentyne wrote:Yes, but for 60 fps console games, you should enable single strobe and set the strobe phase to 000. You can enter the service menu by holding down Menu with the power off, for 5 seconds, then press the power button at the same time as holding down menu. Then you can adjust what you want through the service menu.

For 30fps games, I suggest you turn off single strobe. Double strobe on a 30 fps game looks better than single strobing it and double strobe on a 60fps game looks slightly better than 60fps without blur reduction.

60 FPS on a CRT will always look better than 60 FPS on a strobed LCD, because of the natural phosphor "aliasing" and faint blurring effect on a CRT (ask chief about that) makes stutters with vsync on, look better than stutters on a LCD with vsync on.
Hello, sorry for the late reply.

I have now purchased and adjusted the monitor using the strobe utility. Games on PS3 and the Wii U have never looked better! The ghosting is almost completely eliminated. I am curious about this service menu you mentioned though.

I tried to access it doing what you said, but I'm having trouble. I held the menu buttons (I also held the wheel button) for 5 seconds and pressed the power when it was turned off, but it just turns on as normal.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Appreciate it.

boulmerbear

Post by boulmerbear » 31 Dec 2014, 17:18

Falkentyne wrote:Yes, but for 60 fps console games, you should enable single strobe and set the strobe phase to 000. You can enter the service menu by holding down Menu with the power off, for 5 seconds, then press the power button at the same time as holding down menu. Then you can adjust what you want through the service menu.

Disregard the previous post, I figured it out. Just one question,what is "strobe duty" and is it relevant to making the picture smoother? It's currently set to 007.

Cheers

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 Dec 2014, 23:20

strobe duty= persistence. The lower, the darker the screen but the stronger effect of blur reduction (clearer motion). Lower persistence values=more blur reduction (easier to see faster moving images).

Strobe phase=crosstalk area position: adjusts the position of the strobe pulse settling errors at the top and bottom of the screen.
Strobe phase 000 (with a very low strobe duty e.g. <0.5ms persistence)=top crosstalk zone will be at the very top edge or offscreen.
Bottom edge will be in the lower part of the screen. a good setting for FPS games where you focus more on middle and top and less on the HUD which is at the bottom.
Strobe phase 008=balances crosstalk errors postioning close to evenly at the top and bottom of the screen while keeping the center as clear as possible, but huge settling errors at the top and bottom (thick double image artifacts)

raising the strobe duty will make the crosstalk area at the top move downwards slowly (not as much as raising strobe phase); strobe phase 000+strobe duty 001-003-crosstalk at the top should be pushed off the screen.

Vertical total tweaks (VT 1500/1502, windows only, through a custom resolution) push the BOTTOM of the crosstalk settling errors completely OFF the bottom of the screen, only leaving some slight settling errors at the bottom; main thick strobe pulse double image pulse is pushed totally off screen at VT 1500.