Secon Factory Menu (xl2411z)

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
urut

Secon Factory Menu (xl2411z)

Post by urut » 04 Jan 2015, 14:09

Hi, im in second factory menu (that menu where i've got Burn-In mode on or off etc) and i've got option like :

RS232 : ON / OFF

What that option do? Default i've got this OFF. Can someone explain me? :P (google don't know :[)

Falkentyne

Re: Secon Factory Menu (xl2411z)

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Jan 2015, 14:38

I don't think anyone here knows that. But the old benq projectors had an RS232 connection capability. None of those options are needed to flash the firmware with Linux or with the mstar unit, anyway...

Now if someone actually found out what the AUTOCOLOR and COLOR GAIN (not the color presets for the kelvin presets) values actually do or how to make them affect anything.....that I would be VERY grateful for.

I couldn't make autocolor or color gain do anything on the 2720Z or the Asus VG248QE (which has the SAME settings in its service menu, but also has scaler bank, overdrive gain (works in lightboost mode, even) and some worthless stuff....
Hell, when I pressed enter on Autocolor on the VG248QE, it just says "FAIL" in red. Nothing happens on the Benq at all...

Does "Autocolor" and "color gain" need some sort of external device?

At least I know what 'gain' is supposed to do, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything.
According to an eizo manual:

Gain

This is used to adjust each color parameter for red, green and blue. An LCD monitor displays the color by
the light passing through the panel color filter. Red, green and blue are the three primary colors. All the
colors on the screen are displayed by combining these three colors. The color tone can be changed by
adjusting the light intensity (volume) passing through each color’s filter.

And unrelated and random: but seems to imply that gamma 5 (2.4) gives the best contrast ratio (taken from the same eizo manual I found while trying to find out what that mythical not functioning "autocolor' does, where I found what "gain" is supposed to do:

Gamma

Generally, the monitor brightness varies nonlinearly with the input signal level, which is called “Gamma
Characteristic”. A small gamma value produces a low-contrast image, while a large gamma value produces a
high-contrast image.

RS232:
An old viewsonic service manual (for an LCD) said this in its own service menu, that has RS232:
F/W RS232 debug on or off

Good luck figuring out what that means.

More things in that viewsonic lcd service menu manual:
AUTO COLOR: Automatically calibrate chip ADC parameter by using chip internal DAC.
GAIN: ADC gain value
OFFSET: ADC offset value

Source: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/412222 ... ml?page=45

VG248QE Has both gain and offset and neither do anything (changing those and selecting "AUTOCOLOR" still shows "FAIL" in red.....

Good luck wasting your time trying to make it do something...ill give you $500 if you actually make it work...

(Chief? where are you?)

Falkentyne

Re: Secon Factory Menu (xl2411z)

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Jan 2015, 16:18

Ok looks like some of that stuff is for analog (VGA) mode only!
Probably a throwback to the old "color potentiometers" of classic CRT's and televisions.

Gain and offset work instantly if used on a VGA connection. Seems to act like a saturation setting for individual color channels, like adjusting RGB on your video card drivers. You can make the image so color saturated, the "Eye care" that benq advertises turns into an "Eye assault." Don't have to worry about washed out colors that way. Autocolor didn't seem to do anything...

Doesn't seem to do anything in digital modes, though (Dvi or hdmi). I guess the video card driver/settings is meant to handle that.
Would still be QUITE nice to have this work over DVI/hdmi, though...I mean, then you could get "Optical assault" on a console!

RGB Gain 255, 255, 255. or Offset 255, 255, 255 (default is 80,80,80, 128, 128, 128). Optical Assault indeed....

So...why does the VG248QE have these settings if it doesn't even have a VGA connection anymore? I guess Asus got lazy and didn't remove legacy settings that go back to its older monitors that did have VGA dsub connections? (I can only guess the Vg278HE which did have vga, has the same options in the service menu (how much do you want to bet the service menus look almost the same?) and Asus removed VGA from the VG248QE but not the VGA color gain offsets....