XL2420Z console games ghosting top and bottom...

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
boulmerbear

XL2420Z console games ghosting top and bottom...

Post by boulmerbear » 04 Jan 2015, 22:06

I've tinkered with the utility and managed to find (as far as I know) the best setting for reducing the ghosting at the top and bottom. The game I'm currently playing is Rayman Origins (which I believe is 60fps) and the movement can get pretty quick, making the ghosting more apparent.

Is this top and bottom ghosting unavoidable with 60hz console games?

Do other strobe utility models fair better than the XL2420Z when playing 60fps console titles?

Cheers.

Falkentyne

Re: XL2420Z console games ghosting top and bottom...

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Jan 2015, 23:28

You can't strobe on a console on -any- monitor except a Benq.
The benq is the only monitor that allows strobing when not on a PC (at the moment).

The Vertical total 1500 tweak fixes the intense ghosting double image at the top and bottom, but you can't do that on a console.
For a console, enter the service menu and then find a good combination of strobe phase (0-100) to move the area where you want the ghosting to be.

Strobe duty 0 gives you very minor crosstalk at the very top of the screen (no crosstalk at all if the strobe duty is 003 or lower) a lot at the bottom of the screen.

Strobe duty 8 balances top and bottom about equally; center will look perfect, very top and very bottom will have intense double image.

Strobe duty 100 will make the top of the screen perfect but everything directly under the middle will be bad.
(these are based on 100 hz refresh rate WITHOUT a VT tweak. Results may vary slightly for 60 hz).

For games with a hud at the bottom (many FPS games), strobe duty 0 works best since you will be staring at the top and middle of the screen more than your hud, and the hud doesn't move...

If you still can't get a setting you want, you can try double strobe (turn single strobe off), which may look slightly better than strobing off (images will be slightly clearer, but a double image instead of a complete blur; custom strobe settings will be ignored and crosstalk will not be noticeable). Note: on a PC, 86hz and higher always single strobes.

For 30 fps games, you always want double strobe. You gain no benefit to single strobing a 30 fps game except a darker screen and more strobe crosstalk with zero improvement over double strobing.