EVERYONE UPDATE TO V4 FIRMWARE IF YOU CAN!! NEW AMA MODE!!!!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Falkentyne

Re: EVERYONE UPDATE TO V4 FIRMWARE IF YOU CAN!! NEW AMA MODE

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2015, 21:46

At 85 hz and lower refresh rates, the monitor will double strobe instead of single strobe. This gives you twice the brightness of single strobe, but there is very low effect of blur reduction. Single strobe off is for people who can't handle the flicker at 60 hz but still want a minor blur reduction effect, as 60 hz sample and hold is just awfully ugly.

The single strobe option is for forcing single strobe (at the cost of flicker) at low refresh rates, so you will still get the full effect of blur reduction. If 60 hz flicker single strobe is too annoying, it's better to simply not use blur reduction at all at 60 hz. I didn't mind 60hz on CRT's way back (although not on the desktop, it was fine in games) so 60 hz single strobe blur reduction is very useful for games that don't exceed 60 fps (you usually want FPS to match or be faster than the refresh rate) and for 60 fps locked consoles.

For games that are locked to 30 fps, single strobe is ugly. Double strobe looks slightly better than both single strobe and no blur reduction at all.

The windows utility forces single strobe on due to a bug in V2 firmware that was fixed in V4. At lower than 100hz refresh rate, strobe adjustments could not be used unless single strobe is forced on (this is still true in V4). At 86 hz-99hz+ refresh rate (might be 90+ hz), the screen will single strobe but will use default strobe values and not use custom values, if single strobe is set off. At 100-144 hz, it will always single strobe and use custom strobe values whether single strobe is off or on.

In V2 firmware, if single strobe was set off, even at 100+hz refresh rate, it would single strobe but would use default strobe values at 100+hz if blur reduction were set from off to on. Then any change to brightness or strobe duty or strobe phase, in the service menu, would cause custom strobe values to 'instantly' get activated. This was a bug that was fixed in V4 firmware. (Now in V4 at 100+hz, single strobe off, it will always single strobe by default and always use custom values at 100-144 hz).

error-id10t

Post by error-id10t » 05 May 2015, 04:03

Ok thanks for the explanation, makes sense. Feels a waste to use this monitor but not able to use Blur Reduction, well that'll change when I'll actually get a proper GPU again.
4790K (Broke)
G3258 (@ x48, little beast)
970 G1 Gaming SLI (returned, lacking vRAM for some reason..)
iGPU (waiting for AMD to deliver something nice)
XL2411Z (firmware V4 thanks to people here)

monitor_butt

Post by monitor_butt » 03 Jun 2015, 23:08

So does this benefit the 24" xl2411Z V4? I currently have V3, which is apparently identical to V2 for AMA settings.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Jun 2015, 23:40

Yes AMA high V4's toggle reduces the inverse ghosting on XL2411Z. Tested by masterotaku.
His toggle (from his pictures he sent to me) seem to make it look like the XL2720Z's default AMA high setting on V4 (XL2720Z on V4 has less overdrive artifacts than XL2411Z on v4)

fopli

Post by fopli » 09 Jun 2015, 07:36

I flashed to v4 and everything works fine, except blur reduction. With 120hz + blurreduction the screen goes black, lowering the hz to 100 and its fine. What to do?

EDIT: service menu>strobe phase 0
EDIT2: Looks very good, deffo worth flashing.

kwazi

Post by kwazi » 25 Jun 2015, 21:17

So is 2411z better or 2720z better overall when it comes to motion clarity with the new v4 firmware?

bioteck

Post by bioteck » 06 Jul 2015, 17:11

what is the diffrent between (MBR) and (BBR)?
sorry for noob question :roll:

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Jul 2015, 18:01

kwazi wrote:So is 2411z better or 2720z better overall when it comes to motion clarity with the new v4 firmware?
Above poster: MBR=BBR.

as far as V4,
I think on all the firmwares, at default AMA settings, there is way too much overshoot (RTA errors) compared to a monitor with good AMA settings like VG248QE.

24" panels have -slightly- less AMA artifacts at default settings than the 27"
All of the 24" panels have much better lightboost (3d vision 2) overdrive (this can not be changed/toggled) than the 27" (I think this is because the 27" keeps a much higher contrast ratio in lightboost mode and higher contrast intensifies ghosting).

27" has a much better AMA high MBR toggle than the 24" on V4 though. Using this toggle and combining it with lowering the contrast improves things very drastically (on the 24" it only lowers the AMA slightly, its about the same as if you used the AMA premium V4 toggle on the 27"). The toggle seems to make it look equal to lightboost mode on the same 27" (if you lower the contrast) but without the white ghosting trails you get if you lower contrast without toggling AMA. Note that Lightboost mode on the 24" still looks better (you're comparing two different panels).

Unfortunately this is a blur reduction ON toggle only. It does not affect MBR=off :( It would be very very nice if it did. AMA high with MBR off is still too much overshoot :(

So to answer your question, 27" 2720Z with V4 would look much better than 2411z or 2420z only if you use the AMA high toggle, but you will pay for it with contrast.

bioteck

Post by bioteck » 06 Jul 2015, 18:44

i just built my upgrade device by using this instructions
http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/diy-fir ... -z-series/
i have 2720z with fw 1 and i wanted to upgrade it to fw2 but when i saw this topic i changed my mind and now i want to upgrade to fw 4 but can i use this device to upgrade to fw4? or it only works for fw2 ?
sorry for bad english

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Jul 2015, 19:00

It works on any firmware.
Only V2 was out when the original article was written. That also applies to the Linux flasher, too.
You can even flash backwards.

After you flash to V4, you can try this new setting.

1) set motion blur reduction to ON (you must turn it on first)
2) go to menu, picture, AMA. Press enter (button 3) once so AMA high is highlighted yellow, then press back (button 4), this will reset and toggle the AMA and will use a hidden setting. Note: pressing enter AGAIN will cancel the selection without actually doing anything. For some reason, AMA is automatically set/activated as soon as you highlight a new setting (using up/down, example, scrolling to AMA off or premium instantly sets it right away) or when pressing back/cancel (button #4), but pressing button #3 to confirm the AMA setting doesn't do anything at all except "lock" the selection.
3) Set contrast from 0-20. 0 will have best quality but very muted contrast. Going higher than 20 will have too much normal ghosting (especially on black to white transitions will look bad).

Note: setting contrast to 0 without toggling the AMA high hidden setting will cause extreme levels of translucent (spectral) type ghosting. This only applies to the 27" panels. I don't think this happens on the 24" panels, but the V4 AMA high toggle on the 24" panels only reduces the excessive default AMA slightly instead of drastically.

From what I can tell from my own testing, on the 2720Z, V4 AMA high toggle sets the overdrive circuit to be identical to Lightboost AMA, but without trashing the colors (you can tell by using the toggle and setting contrast to 0, then activating Lightboost (if you have an Nvidia card) and also setting contrast to 0; the ghosting will look identical but with a slightly different pattern, but Lightboost will show translucent ghosting with contrast 0).

I don't know why this toggle only reduces AMA slightly on the 24" screens.
There's an AMA premium toggle also, but this only reduces AMA premium slightly, and there's no reason to use it (Default AMA high is still better in every way than toggled premium).
Last edited by Falkentyne on 06 Jul 2015, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.