XL2430T issues

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Falkentyne

Re: XL2430T issues

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Jun 2015, 22:55

Yes sounds right.

This IS an AMD card, right?

soliak

Post by soliak » 09 Jun 2015, 23:23

Falkentyne wrote:Yes sounds right.

This IS an AMD card, right?
Yeah mate 6870.

This thread: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33993137 tells me that I need to actually switch to the non-native res, enable GPU scaling, then switch back for it to work (lol?).

Question - before I got this monitor I played 1280x960 (4:3 Stretched) on a 1080p native res monitors. For this to work (full screened), was this using GPU scaling or would it of been using monitor scaling?

Also will I be able to use GPU scaling to play on 1280x960 whilst still getting the lightboost benefits of the VT 1500 tweak with my native resolution(getting all the benefits of the Blur Reduction)?

Thanks again. Will report back.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Jun 2015, 23:28

That was for OLD drivers.
They fixed that in newer drivers.
And yes.

soliak

Post by soliak » 09 Jun 2015, 23:31

Falkentyne wrote:That was for OLD drivers.
They fixed that in newer drivers.
And yes.
Again, thank you so much mate!!!

soliak

Post by soliak » 10 Jun 2015, 03:02

Hey Falken!

I'm back :lol:

So I got home and worked out that I already had the dual link DVI plugged in, so the error must of been caused by messing with these custom resolutions.

I setup the new 1920 detailed profile again and added 1280(4:3) + 1600(16:9) in there at 120hz to test how they would go in games.

As soon as I set the custom res at 1920 you can noticeably see the difference in colour boost. It's very visible and looks perfect for gaming. Testing it w/ Counter Strike is brilliant, even though my FPS kinda sucks (bounces around 140-200).

I checked the OSD to see if it was stating 60hz, however it does not. Pic:

Despite this, I think it is still working, if that is at all possible. Here's my reasoning...

When I change the resolution in CS to 1600x900 or 1280:430, the colour gets dramatically darker, indicating to me that the VT profile is not working properly at the these lower resolutions. I also deleted the my custom resolution, rebooted the PC w/ default 1080p and confirmed that it's pretty dark by default(without VT tweaks). Anyway I could be wrong about it working or not, would like to hear your thoughts.

Another interesting thing is around the 1280 resolution. Whenever I change the game res to 1280, I get that message on the OSD saying this:

As soon as I deleted the additional resolutions (the 1280 standard sections, leaving the detailed 1080 120hz res), the message no longer pops up. So it's caused by adding those standard resolutions. It goes very dark, telling me that the VT lightboost isn't working (as assumed earlier).

I checked to see if I had the latest card drivers and I do, however the card is pretty old (6800 series), so not sure if that effects anything. When I tested my GPU scaling options, I found that they were working correctly in the sense that it would go to both 4:3 aspect black bars, as well as stretched, however under both the VT settings dont apply and it's very dark(unplayable).

So here are my questions:

- Considering what I have said, is it safe to assume my VT tweak is working at 1080 with the noticeable light boost coming into effect despite what the OSD says?

- If it is working, is there any way for me to get 1280x960 black bars or stretched working properly with the lightboost?

Here are some screenies of my config:

Last edited by soliak on 10 Jun 2015, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

soliak

Post by soliak » 10 Jun 2015, 03:22

I have also done this test http://www.testufo.com/#photo=alien-inv ... test=photo

I see a bit of crosstalk behind the images but nothing too bad. Should I not be seeing any crosstalk?

Also I get a line of fuzzyness when I do the UFO test, it's probably a inch below the centre of the screen on bottom. It also appears on the top sometimes but it actually moves up and down during it. They look like this (sozz for shit pic).

You can see the crosstalk from the higher up images is much better than at the bottom.

Just wondering what causes these fuzzy lines / splits and if I should be worried about it.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Jun 2015, 03:58

The cable error is caused by patching the single link DVI limits at resolutions that are at the 'edge' of the DVI limits. The monitor is expecting a single link DVI signal at that refresh rate but it's getting a dual link signal, thus the cable error. If I patch the SL DVI limits, I get a cable error at 1280x1024@100hz ONLY, but NOT at 1280x1024@120. I really do NOT know why you get it at 120hz. Also 1024x768@100 and @120 are fine. I also get a cable error at 1920x1080@85hz.

You can fix that by doing what I told you earlier.
Undo the patch first, then
Rename the patcher to atikmdag-patcher-dl.exe, then run the patcher. You will then NOT see SL-DVI on the list anymore. Then the cable error won't happen.
Restart the driver with the toastyX driver restarter (restart64.exe)
Also:

There seems to be a serious problem there.
Yes you SHOULD be worried about those fuzzy lines.
You should NOT have any fuzzy lines at ALL.
The image should be CRYSTAL CLEAR with nothing but overdrive ghosting to the left of the UFO's. There should be a part of the screen that turns "thick black" with lots of ghosting (that moves as you change the strobe phase). That's the "strobe crosstalk". The VT Tweak increases the distance between the crosstalk at the TOP of the screen and the bottom.

And the monitor should be reporting 60hz. Another person with the XL2430T tested the "Area" (strobe phase) setting and the backlight turns off at 060 strobe phase with 120hz VT 1502 tweak.

First, please set the STROBE PHASE To 000.
Tell me if the "Fuzzy"" lines move. What SHOULD happen as you move the strobe phase is, you should see a double thick field of ghosty UFO's, and above that crosstalk field, you should see the UFO's one "frame" ahead and below the crosstalk field, one frame "Behind". What is happening at the crosstalk field (not the "blurry" thing you are referring to) is the strobe phase is changing due the pixels settling, so the frame shifts one to the right (input lag will improve (get better) by one frame) or one to the left. Input lag will get better by one frame, if the strobe phase is set to a high value.

At strobe phase 000, the thick crosstalk of UFO's should be close to the bottom of the screen. With VT 1502 tweak active, the crosstalk should be OFF the screen at the bottom. The strobe phase should go up to 100, with the "TOP" crosstalk moving downwards (which means the 'next" frame is becoming the current frame (you are gaining 1 frame of input lag improvement here), IF the VT 1502 tweak is NOT working, and if it IS working, you get the same thing except around strobe phase 050'ish, the persistence will suddenly start to get dimmer (more blur reduction) as if you were lowering the strobe duty. Then at 060 strobe phase, the persistence drops to 0 ms and the backlight will shut off (Turning OFF blur reduction or lowering the strobe phase (Area) will set it back again).

Tell me what happens to the 'abnormal' blurry area (remember that is different from the double thick ghosting crosstalk IF I understand you correctly).

Then move the strobe phase downwards.
If the VT tweak is actually WORKING, the backlight should SHUT OFF at 060 strobe phase at 120hz refresh rate. If it goes up to 100 without shutting off, then the VT tweak is *NOT* working at all.

Do you have Skype?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Jun 2015, 04:40

Also, are those 'fuzzy' lines you are getting, vertical sync retrace lines from Vsync being off on your browser?
Is that what you are describing?
or are you actually getting BLURRY FIELDS of UFO's that are NOT "strobe crosstalk" (e.g. the UFOs look out of focus?)

Strobe crosstalk is this effect close to the bottom of the screen, on this image:

Pay careful attention to the red vertical line.
Do you notice how there appear to be "two" red vertical lines superimposing on each other in adjacent frames, and moving UP the image, the line seems to go in 'Front" one frame, compared to the line at the very bottom of the screen?
The frame you would get at the middle to the top of the screen is from having a high strobe phase (1 frame improvement of input lag), e.g. strobe phase 100.
The frame you would get at the bottom of the screen--if this frame were covering the ENTIRE SCREEN, is from having a low strobe phase (strobe phase 000).

When using a vertical total tweak, the VT tweak EXTENDS the distance between the top strobe crosstalk and the bottom, which gives us a screen with less crosstalk, which also LOWERS the maximum strobe phase value possible (going too high will set the persistence to 0ms, which will turn off the backlight).

Btw fun technical fact:
(ok if you REALLY REALLY want to know what the VT tweak does, to the monitor scaler, it actually tricks the scaler into thinking there is larger vertical pixel size, e.g. the scaler thinks the vertical is 1440p instead of 1080p (not this exact value, but if you enter the "factory menu (service menu#2, aka the burn-in menu), you will see the resolution reported as 1280x1440 instead of 1920x1080--the scaler gets confused by the VT change, and the horizontal is also changed (this ONLY affects things if you use the OSD scaling functions!), then the "virtual" size is moved downwards and off the physical screen (which to us, makes it seem like the crosstalk from top to bottom is made further apart). And since the number of "virtual" pixels is made larger by the increase in vertical total, changing the strobe phase makes the crosstalk field move farther up or down the screen per point of up/down change, than it does without the VT tweak (since it's moving through more "pixels" in the scaler's memory). Because of that, the maximum value for strobe phase ("Area" in the OSD for blur reduction) is lessened)

soliak

Post by soliak » 10 Jun 2015, 05:33

Hey mate,

This is all a lot of information to take in, so go easy on me.

My observations from the strobe modification:

At strobe 000 = lots of ghosting(or crosstalk field?) up the top of the screen. down the bottom is very clear

As I increase the strobe up the ghosting of the aliens moves down the screen and the top becomes clearer

At 40 it starts to get dark and at 50 it turns the screen of completely.

The fuzzy/blurry area I mentioned and tried to photograph didn't move on the screen at all. With the CRU res deleted, it still remains, the same thing happens when blur reduction is turned off too. It generally sits around half an inch below the middle of the screen and looks like a thin blurry line ranging in size from 2.5cm or maybe to an inch tall. When I changed to 144hz, it actually moved up from the bottom of the screen up to the top then back to the bottom and repeated itself, however I haven't been able to get it to reproduce this. Could this be some form of browser lag? The area that is effected looks completely glitched out. If I follow the red line going down the page, when it hits this glitchy area, it then splits and the red line continues down the bottom half of the screen in a position 1 ahead. There is no gap between them, they are just spliced into two side by side vertically.

Looks like this:

It is VERY different to the crosstalk fields I can see with the lines normally (how they fade etc).

Hope this information is indicative of what the problem could be. A lot of what you have said is quite technical (despite my IT background), so please explain it to me like I am an absolute idiot.

I also do have Skype but fly out shortly on business, returning Friday. Let me know your thoughts and I can perhaps test something before going to give you more info.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Jun 2015, 07:25

I read what you said.
So that blurry area does NOT change as you change the strobe phase (Area in the OSD) from 0 to 60?
Interesting.

How about this.
What happens if you play a FPS fast paced game at 120hz?
Is your game also blurry at the same area?

What about just moving a notepad window full of text, dragging it around on the desktop?
That's easy to test. Just drag a window around on the desktop. The only distortion/ghosting you should see should coincide with the strobe phase change.