Benq Service+Factory Menus, VT info, AMA Low tweak

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Benq Service+Factory Menus, VT info, AMA Low tweak

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2020, 00:55

nuninho1980 wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 12:49
I've XL2411P. Does factory menu have vertical total pixels (VTP) option? I would need to increase VTP to 1350 because I get bad crosstalk at 1920x1080@60Hz on Playstation 3 console.
Vertical Total is at the GPU output and cable level, not the firmware level.

Your PlayStation has to add a bigger blanking interval to the video cable, which it cannot do. The signal structure on the cable is what creates the vertical total.

Theoretically, a scan conversion feature within a panel could internally create a large VBI, however, the XL2411P panel does not do this.

You can reduce PlayStation crosstalk by pre-adjusting strobe phase with a computer BEFORE connecting to a Playstation, or using the factory menu instead to configure that. Test strobe phase at 0 and at 100.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ssiuk

Post by Ssiuk » 06 Apr 2020, 11:27

I have the perfect color setting with this menu bit when i clóset the menú the color setting Sony sabe. How i can save the setting if this menu?. Sorry 4 muy english and thanks.
I have a xl2546 ty.

Ssiuk

Post by Ssiuk » 06 Apr 2020, 11:31

I have a Xl2546 and when i close the Factory menu my color setting dont save. How i can save It?
Thanks and sorry 4 muy english.

p1um4

Post by p1um4 » 30 Apr 2020, 08:24

Hello!
Is it possible to use vt tweak with this two resolutions (640x480 100hz & 800x600 100hz), but WITH display scaling (NOT 1920x1080 gpu downscaling)? What values to use?
BenQ XL2411Z v4 / 180Hz OC / BR off

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 May 2020, 23:39

Ssiuk wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 11:31
I have a Xl2546 and when i close the Factory menu my color setting dont save. How i can save It?
Thanks and sorry 4 muy english.
The "color" setting on the factory menu?
On the older Z series "Mstar" scaler monitors, those settings *ONLY* worked with analog connections (e.g. VGA) and did absolutely nothing over digital connections.

Since I don't have any of the Realtek scaler newer monitors, I can't help you with that at all.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Oct 2020, 22:04

Unfortunately, for 120hz VT 1500 tweak while staying under 360 mhz pixel clock, the AMD stable settings cause frameskipping on Nvidia hardware. (Pixel clock >359.99 mhz causes 6 bit color from the monitor, which you don't want).

AMD settings (Vega 64, R9 290X, but 5700 XT is untested):
120hz, 1920x1080:

front porch: 48/3
Sync width: 32/5
HT: 2001
VT: 1499
pixel clock: 359.94 mhz
This works perfectly on AMD to not have frameskipping /microstutters and stays at 8 bit color depth.

On Nvidia RTX 3090, this is unusable. Pressing the S-switch after a monitor refresh change only has a 30% chance to remove the frameskipping. Unfortunately, VT 1500 is 360 mhz so we need another way, and VT 1499, 1498, 1497 are microstutter city, and VT 1496 is black screen (S-switch restores the screen but is still microstutters).

Use this:
Front porch: 24 pixels 3 lines.
Sync width: unchanged
Horizontal total: 1984 (because front porch was reduced, HT can now go below the floor of 2000 pixels)
Vertical Total: 1500

No stutters now on RTX 3090, reduced strobe crosstalk and I can't see any drawbacks so far.
If I get a XL2746S, I'll be able to update whether these tricks still work.

@Chief Blur Buster
I added this info here.

Jommy321

Post by Jommy321 » 12 Nov 2020, 06:06

How can i get in too factory menus in xl2546k
(Sorry for my Eng im from thailand) :D

CubanLegend

Post by CubanLegend » 02 Dec 2020, 23:04

Hi everyone! So i just got my XL2720Z today, its on Firmware v002 (which im ok with since i wont be using AMA Low) I enabled 60hz Single Strobe and it looks amazing, it looks even better with the VT Tweaks.

I'm wondering, I really appreciated all the custom VT modes for 60,100,120Hz, but is there a way to reduce strobe crosstalk at 144hz with a VT tweak also? Please let me know, thanks!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 08 Dec 2020, 15:19

144hz uses a reduced vertical total (VT), which I think is 1094 or something. You can increase the VT via a custom resolution but it will go out of range. You can try using the "S-switch" bypass, or the software tool black screen workaround (for the 165hz-240hz overclock tweaks) in the display overclocking thread, to force the monitor to try to display an image anyway. I would try using the VT range of 1350-1358.

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5336
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5544

The things to look out for, if you can get an image is:
1) if the monitor locks up and won't display an image after you do the bypass (if that happens it just isn't capable of it).
2) if the image is corrupted and unusable.
3) if the image appears but has micro-stuttering or frameskipping. You also need to see if it sometimes is smooth and sometimes frameskips, after a resolution change/reset.

If you are dealing with #3, try changing the vertical total up or down by 1. You can also try changing the horizontal total up or down 1 also. A small change in the pixel clock can get the monitor to work.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Dec 2020, 22:11

Falkentyne wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 15:19
144hz uses a reduced vertical total (VT), which I think is 1094 or something. You can increase the VT via a custom resolution but it will go out of range. You can try using the "S-switch" bypass, or the software tool black screen workaround (for the 165hz-240hz overclock tweaks) in the display overclocking thread, to force the monitor to try to display an image anyway. I would try using the VT range of 1350-1358
CubanLegend wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 23:04
I'm wondering, I really appreciated all the custom VT modes for 60,100,120Hz, but is there a way to reduce strobe crosstalk at 144hz with a VT tweak also? Please let me know, thanks!
Overclocked Vertical Total FAQ

You can use the 220 Hz overclock trick to get 144Hz+Large Vertical Total.
For more information about overclocking 144Hz 1080p BenQ ZOWIE monitors, see The Overclocking Thread For 144Hz 1080p BenQ ZOWIE Monitors.

This is much harder than a plain large vertical total, so this is for more advanced users. Instead of overclocking Hz, you can use an overclocked vertical total, even if you're not using an overclocked refresh rate.

To determine what your overclocked Vertical Total is,
1. Overclock your refresh rate.
2. Write down your MAX SCANRATE that you were able to achieve stable. This is your max overclocked Horizontal Scan Rate (e.g. 225KHz or 225000).
3. That's your overclocked budget in number of pixel rows per second
4. For lower refresh rates, your overclocked vertical total is MAX SCANRATE divided by your LOW HZ.

So if you were able to overclock to 225000 horizontal refresh rate (scan rate), then your potentially achievable overclocked vertical total at 144Hz becomes 225000/144 = Vertical Total 1562

In Custom Resolution, signal structure layout looks like this:

Vertical Total = (Vertical Sync + Vertical Back Porch + Vertical Active + Vertical Front Porch)

Vertical Total is the number of pixel rows transmitted by GPU per refresh cycle, including all offscreen pixel rows (used as refresh cycle separators -- synchronization markers -- aka Vertical Sync -- aka VSYNC). Each pixel row is transmitted raster style, one pixel row at a time, out of the video port (VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI, whatever), at the rate of the horizontal scan rate.

By conceptualizing this way, you can easily calculate your predicted overclocked Vertical Total, based on your maximum successful overclock.

Please Make Sure Your Overclock Still Supports AMA Overdrive

Try to make sure you're overclocking in a way that you can still enable AMA setting.

Please be noted, overdrive may also degrade severely during overclocking, so you may need to back off a little bit (reduce overclocking to 160Hz or 180Hz) to get better color quality and faster GtG, because GtG can slow down a bit at max-overclock when the electronics are trying to refresh pixels too fast for GtG to finish completing.

Without AMA, your GtG is too slow to prevent strobe crosstalk even with a large vertical total. So if AMA fails, the overclock won't improve strobing. Occasionally, sometimes during very extreme overclocking, AMA Premium actually sometimes becomes better than AMA High, try both when testing www.testufo.com/crosstalk or Strobe Utility.

To Make Things Easier, Try The 1920x1079 Trick + OORBuster

Overclocking the BenQ to 200Hz and beyond is a bit tricky, because it loses the overclock when you switch resolutions or refresh rates. To minimize odds of this happening, use the automatic utilities such as "Out Of Range Buster" (OORBuster) combined with a custom resolution that only has one refresh rate (the overclocked Hz or the overclocked vertical total). That way, a game that uses that specific resolution can only use the overclocked Hz or overclocked vertical total.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!