BenQ XL2411 major crosstalk and ghosting/corona

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
AustinClark

BenQ XL2411 major crosstalk and ghosting/corona

Post by AustinClark » 06 Nov 2015, 13:25

I've tried vertical tweaks (don't seem to help much) lowering contrast/gamma, adjusting persistence/brightness, strobe phase, etc; and I'm still left with terrible (2-3 frames) of corona/ghosting. Way worse than anywhere else I've seen, and doesn't seem to be fully explainable by benqs terrible overdrive settings.

Should I do an RMA? Is there anything else I could try?

Falkentyne

Re: BenQ XL2411 major crosstalk and ghosting/corona

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Nov 2015, 13:41

Benq monitors have aggressive overdrive to lower response time. If you are on V4 firmware (v3 might also work), you can enable blur reduction and then set AMA to high *after* (not before) enabling blur reduction. Gives about a 10% improvement (slightly lower overdrive amount). And use contrast of 40 instead of 50 for another small improvement. That's it.

You can try Ligthboost mode also, but ToastyX Strobelight program won't unlock Lightboost on Z series monitors.

AustinClark

Post by AustinClark » 06 Nov 2015, 15:35

Falkentyne wrote:Benq monitors have aggressive overdrive to lower response time. If you are on V4 firmware (v3 might also work), you can enable blur reduction and then set AMA to high *after* (not before) enabling blur reduction. Gives about a 10% improvement (slightly lower overdrive amount). And use contrast of 40 instead of 50 for another small improvement. That's it.

You can try Ligthboost mode also, but ToastyX Strobelight program won't unlock Lightboost on Z series monitors.
How much crosstalk and/or ghosting/corona is typical on these monitors? I seriously see 3 frames, even at the center of the screen. I already tried the contrast and setting AMA after enabling blur reduction tricks too. I wanted to use this monitor in portrait mode, and the crosstalk going side-to-side is much more noticeable and annoying than top-to-bottom.

Does anyone know how bad this is on the new super-awesome 1440p IPS 144Hz+ G-sync monitors? I bought this monitor hoping it would satiate my desire and curiosity enough to wait a little longer before buying an expensive monitor (because things are evolving so fast right now) but now I'm super tempted to jump on one now (assuming it's strobed backlight implementation doesn't have as severe of a problem)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Nov 2015, 16:42

3 frames is about right. Main image, primary trail and secondary trail. The HM RTS monitors have even higher overdrive artifacts.
It's more noticeable in 2d than in FPS games.

This can only be removed by XL2720Z "AMA Low" mode (same way: enable blur reduction, set AMA to high afterwards, then lower contrast to 5-15).

AustinClark

Post by AustinClark » 06 Nov 2015, 17:42

Falkentyne wrote:3 frames is about right. Main image, primary trail and secondary trail.
I wasn't even counting the main image, believe it or not. It's really bad. I'll take some pictures when I get home. I don't have a pursuit setup, but I'll pick out the most representative. I also have only about half of the screen where it's reasonable. The whole top and bottom quarters have the "shift" that you would expect that makes motion particularly bothersome.

In the center of the screen, when running the "UFO invasion" test, the front image is solid, and there's literally 3 frames of ghosting/corona behind, and towards the top and bottom, I get the faint ghost/corona in the front, then a solid image, then 2 more frames of ghosting/corona.

I just feel like, as picky as we are on this forum, this would be unacceptable if it were typical. I've searched many pictures of crosstalk, and all seem to have at most half of what I've got.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Nov 2015, 18:05

Make sure that you are using the AMD/Nvidia ToastyX Pixel clock patcher before applying VT tweaks otherwise they get ignored/discarded.

if the OSD System->information reports 1920x1080@60hz then your VT worked. If the OSD reports 100hz or 120hz then it didn't apply.

AustinClark

Post by AustinClark » 06 Nov 2015, 18:19

Falkentyne wrote:Make sure that you are using the AMD/Nvidia ToastyX Pixel clock patcher before applying VT tweaks otherwise they get ignored/discarded.

if the OSD System->information reports 1920x1080@60hz then your VT worked. If the OSD reports 100hz or 120hz then it didn't apply.
Good information to know! Thanks!
I'll check when I get home. I bet that's one of the issues, as I didn't seem to notice a difference with the VT tweaks I attempted. I probably forgot to restart my computer or something. (I did apply the pixel clock patcher).

AustinClark

Post by AustinClark » 06 Nov 2015, 19:37

Nope, vertical tweak was working. Still worse than I'd like, and terrible for portrait mode.

Theoretically I suspect it'd be worse on the new ACER predator or ASUS Swift, right? Or does ULMB do a much better job, even with slower pixel response times?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 07 Nov 2015, 00:18

ULMB has lower overdrive artifacts than benq blur reduction, depending on which panel its used on, but worse strobe crosstalk (vs VT tweaks on a Z series benq). Lightboost mode uses accelerated scanout which has the same effect of VT 1497-VT 1502 on Benq Z series (excluding XL2730Z which does not respond to VT tweaks for strobe purposes). On the XB270HU, 85hz ULMB looks as good as Lightboost. It's a bit worse on the ROG Swift. In general, Lightboost mode on most Lightboost/3d vision 2 monitors has the lowest overdrive artifacts at 100hz (it's a bit worse at 120hz).

The XL2720Z has much lower overdrive artifacts than the ROG Swift or the 24" Z benq monitors if you use the undocumented AMA low mode (I've posted pictures of it in several threads, so you can see it if you look for them).