Blur Reduction ON / OFF Help

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
samtronswt

Blur Reduction ON / OFF Help

Post by samtronswt » 08 Nov 2015, 19:56

So I'm using a R9 280x.

Once I turn on blur reduction, the monitor gets a ton more darker then with it OFF.

Can anybody please give me a complete guide on how to fix this issue and have my brightness higher then what it actually is allowing when blur reduction is off?

I have Version V4

Falkentyne

Re: Blur Reduction ON / OFF Help

Post by Falkentyne » 08 Nov 2015, 21:48

You can unlock the service menu and then adjust the strobe duty there.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

Also enable single strobe if you want strobing lower than 100hz.

You can also use vertical total tweaks to lower strobe crosstalk (VT 1497-VT 1502, in this range).
Set strobe phase to 000 (for now).

samtronswt

Post by samtronswt » 08 Nov 2015, 23:03

I have the blur busters strobe utility, but isnt it bad to go higher in ms? I have it currently set to 1ms. When I try to make a 140hz channel on CRU with 1502 it seems to be "out of range" every time I attempt to click at it.

I'll post a photo actually of what my settings look like before I apply them and tell me if they make sense!

There I set the vertical of the total to 1497 AFTER i made the actual 125hz one and it did its own settings. Is that right for a brighter 125hz? I don't want to really go lower then 125hz if I dont have to!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Nov 2015, 00:03

Looks right.
Your 125hz VT and timing are exactly what I use on the XL2720Z.
Note that over displayport, exceeding 360.00mhz reverts to 6 bit color depth (XL2720Z does not support high bit rate 2 which is required for displayport 1.2; limit are 360 MHz for 8 bit color and 480 MHz for 6 bit color). This doesn't apply to DVI.

At 120hz on my XL2720Z, I have slightly modified timings to keep the pixel clock lower than 360 MHz, since I'm using displayport, I want my 8 bit color!
120hz_dp.jpg
120hz_dp.jpg (26.17 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
The 2001 HT is the lowest possible and VT 1499 does not frameskip (1497 does though).

But may I ask which monitor you are using?

Each monitor responds slightly differently to vertical total tweaks.
1497-1502 all have the exact same effect. You gain no benefit from using 1502 vs 1497, because the VT itself sends a vertical resolution to the scaler, and the scaler calculates an internal resolution. The VT you use, depends on which one gives you "frame skipping" when you activate the resolution (or when you press the S-switch on the S-switch monitors, to change profiles), or which one gives you a clean non frameskipping image.

For example: on the XL2720Z monitor, at 85hz refresh rate (I use a custom 85hz for call of duty black ops 3 to keep maximum FPS down and try to match FPS to refresh rate...85 fps is lower than 100 or 120 and easier to obtain), VT 1501 works perfectly. However VT 1497, 1498, 1499, 1500 and 1502 all stutter, frameskip and pulsate the backlight massively, making them unusable. Likewise, VT 1350 @ 100hz frameskips on XL2720Z, while VT 1354 is flawless.

Look at my post here and unlock the "Factory" menu (not the service menu with the strobe settings, but the other menu).

When you enter the factory menu, you will see the horiziontal and vertical internal resolution the scaler is using. The horizontal value seems to be irrelevant (1280 at 1920x1080? what?), but what's interesting is the vertical value. 1440...1440 on a 1080p screen---the higher vertical (which is basically pushing part of the calculated scaler image off the screen) is why you have lower strobe crosstalk.

You can't use VT tweaks higher than 128 hz. This is firmware limitation.
They work at 129hz MOST of the time. 1 out of every 5 times you will get a black screen and out of range.
At 130hz you will get out of range 90% of the time.
At 131-145hz, you must use the default reduced VT 1098. Firmware hard limits refresh rate to 145hz.

About strobing:
there are two values: strobe duty and strobe phase.
The strobe duty isn't your input lag. it has to deal with how long the backlight is OFF and ON at each refresh.
The backlight will turn off and on the same amount of time as your refresh rate. E.g. at 125hz it will turn off and on 125 times a second. This is what a "strobe" is. The strobe DUTY is how LONG the backlight is "off" and "on" during the strobe. if you increase the strobe duty, the backlight remains on "longer" and remains off "shorter"--thus you get a brighter--but blurrier image. This doesn't affect input lag. At lower strobe duty, the backlight is off longer than it is on--thus dimmer screen, more blur reduction.

Strobe PHASE is difficult to explain
But as you know, the word "phase" means "time shift". It means when during the refresh that the strobe cycle starts and ends. Increasing the strobe phase makes the strobe start "earlier" in the frame (yes this seems backwards). A strobe phase at 100 (WITHOUT VT TWEAKS!!) or at the HIGHEST POINT before the backlight turns off (WITH VT tweaks) will give you ONE FRAME OF REDUCED (Improved/faster) input lag than strobe phase 000. Strobe phase 000 gives you the lowest crosstalk at the bottom of the screen.

Some explanations here:

samtronswt

Post by samtronswt » 09 Nov 2015, 00:32

Falkentyne wrote:Looks right.
Your 125hz VT and timing are exactly what I use on the XL2720Z.
Note that over displayport, exceeding 360.00mhz reverts to 6 bit color depth (XL2720Z does not support high bit rate 2 which is required for displayport 1.2; limit are 360 MHz for 8 bit color and 480 MHz for 6 bit color). This doesn't apply to DVI.

At 120hz on my XL2720Z, I have slightly modified timings to keep the pixel clock lower than 360 MHz, since I'm using displayport, I want my 8 bit color!
120hz_dp.jpg
The 2001 HT is the lowest possible and VT 1499 does not frameskip (1497 does though).

But may I ask which monitor you are using?

Each monitor responds slightly differently to vertical total tweaks.
1497-1502 all have the exact same effect. You gain no benefit from using 1502 vs 1497, because the VT itself sends a vertical resolution to the scaler, and the scaler calculates an internal resolution. The VT you use, depends on which one gives you "frame skipping" when you activate the resolution (or when you press the S-switch on the S-switch monitors, to change profiles), or which one gives you a clean non frameskipping image.

For example: on the XL2720Z monitor, at 85hz refresh rate (I use a custom 85hz for call of duty black ops 3 to keep maximum FPS down and try to match FPS to refresh rate...85 fps is lower than 100 or 120 and easier to obtain), VT 1501 works perfectly. However VT 1497, 1498, 1499, 1500 and 1502 all stutter, frameskip and pulsate the backlight massively, making them unusable. Likewise, VT 1350 @ 100hz frameskips on XL2720Z, while VT 1354 is flawless.

Look at my post here and unlock the "Factory" menu (not the service menu with the strobe settings, but the other menu).

When you enter the factory menu, you will see the horiziontal and vertical internal resolution the scaler is using. The horizontal value seems to be irrelevant (1280 at 1920x1080? what?), but what's interesting is the vertical value. 1440...1440 on a 1080p screen---the higher vertical (which is basically pushing part of the calculated scaler image off the screen) is why you have lower strobe crosstalk.

You can't use VT tweaks higher than 128 hz. This is firmware limitation.
They work at 129hz MOST of the time. 1 out of every 5 times you will get a black screen and out of range.
At 130hz you will get out of range 90% of the time.
At 131-145hz, you must use the default reduced VT 1098. Firmware hard limits refresh rate to 145hz.

About strobing:
there are two values: strobe duty and strobe phase.
The strobe duty isn't your input lag. it has to deal with how long the backlight is OFF and ON at each refresh.
The backlight will turn off and on the same amount of time as your refresh rate. E.g. at 125hz it will turn off and on 125 times a second. This is what a "strobe" is. The strobe DUTY is how LONG the backlight is "off" and "on" during the strobe. if you increase the strobe duty, the backlight remains on "longer" and remains off "shorter"--thus you get a brighter--but blurrier image. This doesn't affect input lag. At lower strobe duty, the backlight is off longer than it is on--thus dimmer screen, more blur reduction.

Strobe PHASE is difficult to explain
But as you know, the word "phase" means "time shift". It means when during the refresh that the strobe cycle starts and ends. Increasing the strobe phase makes the strobe start "earlier" in the frame (yes this seems backwards). A strobe phase at 100 (WITHOUT VT TWEAKS!!) or at the HIGHEST POINT before the backlight turns off (WITH VT tweaks) will give you ONE FRAME OF REDUCED (Improved/faster) input lag than strobe phase 000. Strobe phase 000 gives you the lowest crosstalk at the bottom of the screen.

Some explanations here:
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reply! Learned something new haha.

Anyways I'm currently using benq xl2411z v4 firmware. Should I change my settings over to yours except set it at 125 hz or? Just wondering what other values I should change. It's just too dark in blur reduction so as of right now I'm forced not to use blur reduction.

I must also add I'm confused on the whole strobe thing. I use the blur buster utility and all it lets me set is persistence and crosstalk, which I have set to 1ms and for crosstalk all the way to the left at early strobe phase.

I'm just trying to figure out what are my best settings to use at 125 hz without loosing much but gaining that brightness I need to run blur reduction on.

And tbh I'm still trying to figure out what blur reduction actually does on this monitor, cause gaming at 144hz at the moment looks normal. Its just I hear its best to have blur reduction on for FPS etc...I'm currently playing BO3 on PC and I easily maintain 130+ fps, so I don't mind clocking it at 125hz IF i can have the proper brightness. Hopefully you can help me figure this out!

Oh and let me add I'm using DVI-D because thats all this monitor supports. Should I too set my stuff to 360Mhz for 8 bit color to maintain the color accuracy or is it different? Thanks again!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Nov 2015, 00:42

You need framerate to match refresh rate at all times to get the most of blur reduction. That's why I'm using 85hz with VT 1501 for black ops 3.

If FPS drops lower than refresh rate a lot of blur reduction benefits are lost.

Note on XL2411Z, I think VT 1502 or VT 1500 works fine at 85hz But not on XL2720Z. Masterotaku listed his values.

Only use different values if you get frameskipping/pulsating backlight.

"persistence" is how long an image remains on your screen during a frame. This is NOT input lag. persistence and input lag are not the same thing.

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

I tried to explain what strobe duty and phase was in my last reply. Tftcentral's article explains persistence (Strobe duty).
My very long post here explains more about strobe phase (this is called "Area" in the XL2730Z).

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... 0Hz?page=1

samtronswt

Post by samtronswt » 09 Nov 2015, 13:15

What values should I use to maintain 125hz refresh rate?

I set my total to: 2080 and 1497

Problem is pixel clock goes to 389.22Mhz if I set it to 125hz

Would those settings work for gaming without issues? Also what would be my BEST configuration for let's say 115hz? I ask because my monitor comes with the option of running 120hz, so even if I made a custom 120hz, how would I know if its running my custom made one to increase brightness over the original one.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Nov 2015, 14:26

If you don't get any frameskipping in Test UFO alien invasion with blur reduction on, then it's fine. (the frameskip test was originally designed for non strobing monitors as its MUCH easier to see frameskipping with blur reduction).

The pixel clocks are only a problem if you get image corruption (e.g. swimming pixels).

On displayport your bit depth switches to 6 bit color on non High bit rate 2 monitors (non displayport 1.2 compliant monitors as 8 bit color past 360 MHz is a DP 1.2 specification). at 360+ mhz. You aren't using displayport so that's not an issue.

The settings that work 'best' are whatever ones let you keep FPS to refresh rate.
I use 85hz for black ops 3 as its easier to keep 85hz=85 FPS than it is to keep 125hz/125 FPS at high detail settings.

Some VTs and refresh rates tested with the XL2411Z are here.
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=560

samtronswt

Post by samtronswt » 09 Nov 2015, 19:44

I set it to the 110hz one in the post and the 125 hz. My monitor picks it up, but brightness is still very low?

Both are at the correct VT. I turn on blur reduction and its still very very low compared to with it off.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Nov 2015, 19:51

Are you sure you used the DVI pixel clock patcher?
Does the OSD (system->information) report "60hz" when you use the custom resolution with the VT tweak?