Trying to remove ghosting using CRU

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Miketech

Trying to remove ghosting using CRU

Post by Miketech » 30 Nov 2015, 18:23

I am trying to remove ghosting from my monitor (benq xl2720z) using the CRU by ToastyX. However whenever I try and use 60hz on my monitor I get a black screen and message asking me to use the dvi cable that came with the monitor. The only other refresh rate that works is 85hz.

Another issue I am having is the values that are used for 120hz have horizontal lines and the values that are suppose to make them go away / minimal make it worse.

Anyone have a solution to both of these problems?

http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/xl2720z (The values that I used for each refresh rate. This is the bin file that I exported from the CRU program)
If you want I can take screenshots of the values (just tell me)

Thanks.

Falkentyne

Re: Trying to remove ghosting using CRU

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Nov 2015, 21:58

If you are using DVI input and the pixel clock patcher (Nvidia/AMD), then 60hz requires that you increase the porch, sync and horizontal total values to a very high value. The correct timings you need are in Masterotaku's thread ("my timings so far" or "my settings so far") in the main Benq section. You can find it there on the last page of the thread as the screenshot of his 60hz timings disappeared on the first page.

If you are using displayport, you can use "normal" timings for 60hz vertical totals because you don't need the pixel clock patcher when using DP. (e.g. you can just change VT to 1360 right away).

The reason you need different timings for DVI is because of how the pixel clock patcher works. The clock patcher patches the single link DVI limits as well as the dual link dvi limits. Because the single link DVI limits range is extended, it gets extended into the dual link limits and the monitor is expecting a dual link signal but is instead receiving a single link signal. That's why you get the cable error.

If you don't want to use masterotaku's "high" DVI timings (I don't remember them right now but I think the horizontal total was 2876, but the porch and sync ranges were 300 and 200 (or something)), then you can unpatch the dvi limits and then rename the pixel clock patcher so it has a -dl at the end. This should tell the patcher to NOT patch the single link limits but to patch the dual link limits only. I do not know if this works in the newest 1.2.5 patcher, however, for AMD Crimson drivers.

For 100hz and 120hz you just need to create a detailed "LCD Standard" resolution with automatic (standard), NOT native timings, then edit it and choose "Manual" and then change the vertical total to 1500.

Miketech

Post by Miketech » 02 Dec 2015, 10:16

Thanks for the reply and I have fixed the 120hz settings.

How fast an I suppose to be able to move a window before it gets too blurry? For me, if I move a window left and right at a decent speed I can't read the text because it gets blurry.

This is the same in games; if I move my mouse left and right in game there is a lot of ghosting which is making it look "blurry" when I turn ingame.

MrSubZero

Post by MrSubZero » 21 Apr 2018, 03:33

how did u solve the problem ? i get the same cable error message whenever i try to go past 60 hz

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Apr 2018, 16:10

It often works when you replace the DVI cable, and/or switch DVI ports on your graphics cards. Many DVI cables were bad, were single-link, and sometimes certain graphics cards had only single-link DVI ports. I have seen some included DVI cables do this, so try a different DVI cable.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!