random flicker after giving up Strobe utility

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
zjxlsbb

random flicker after giving up Strobe utility

Post by zjxlsbb » 28 Aug 2016, 11:57

tried Strobe Utility, it works like charm on my XL2411z.
however, i still dont like the brightness even after tweak (it was around 2ms and 2.5ms for my tast)

so i want to undo everything.

1, DUU uninstall everything and reinstall latest. 372ish version i believe (gtx1070) this step maybe unnecessary
2, delete custom profile in control panel, the VT1350 thing.
3, uncheck "override" in the utility
4, set monitor back to 144 from control panel, and double checked in windows display adapter window (coz i realise you can change the rate in the windows panel as well, it doesnt necessarily have to be done in nvidia panel)

here is problem.

the middle monitor (my xl2411z, i have 2 IPS normal monitor along with it, in multi display mode, not surrounding mode), sometimes flick.

it happens so random that is very hard to predict or capture with my phone. but it is very likely to happen after each windows reboot.

if i let it flick,(like once per minute, or 5 times per hour maybe?), all 3 screen will go black (like display driver crash). then turns back on with the middle one only(my 144monitor) and it stops flickering. and if i go to display panel , it becomes 120hz !!!!

now my solution, every time after reboot, i go to display panel, switch from 144 to 120, but say "no" to the pop up window, and got bring back to 144(basically changing my rate for once and still staying 144hz).

soooo

it seems a lot like someting to do with my refreash rate.

my first guess it, would it be the change i made WITHIN my monitor? the utility tool?

i know uncheck "override" will prevent any FARTHER change to my monitor , ( the value you can monite when you bring up the service menu within the monitor, the strobe duty, and strobe phase value)

seems like just disable the utility doesnt change those 2 value back to original. ( i notice this because when i was tweaking the utility, i have had the service menu open, and i notice those 2 value changes accordingly to the slider within the utility)

Falkentyne

Re: random flicker after giving up Strobe utility

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Aug 2016, 12:27

hi, let me explain a few things.
1) your flickering is a video driver problem with multi-monitor. We can't help with this. It's just NVidia issues you have to fix. Maybe someone else can. Yes, its driver recovery or a TDR error.

2) the flicker and driver resets has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the strobe utility or any setting on the monitor.

3) You can reset the monitor to defaults by going to the system menu and activating reset all or recall all.

4) you can also reset the monitor by going into the burn-in menu (factory menu, not the service menu) and activating recall all.
Factory menu is tricky to get into. It's here : http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

5) "Override" does nothing except enable "Single Strobe" option. Moving a slider also checks override. This was done to fix a bug with V2 firmware monitors and strobe custom adjustments not initializing on refresh rate changes if SS were set to OFF. This bug was fixed in V3+ firmware. Now SS is only needed enabled if the refresh rate is lower than 98 hz.

zjxlsbb

Post by zjxlsbb » 28 Aug 2016, 16:46

Falkentyne wrote:hi, let me explain a few things.
1) your flickering is a video driver problem with multi-monitor. We can't help with this. It's just NVidia issues you have to fix. Maybe someone else can. Yes, its driver recovery or a TDR error.

2) the flicker and driver resets has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the strobe utility or any setting on the monitor.

3) You can reset the monitor to defaults by going to the system menu and activating reset all or recall all.

4) you can also reset the monitor by going into the burn-in menu (factory menu, not the service menu) and activating recall all.
Factory menu is tricky to get into. It's here : http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467

5) "Override" does nothing except enable "Single Strobe" option. Moving a slider also checks override. This was done to fix a bug with V2 firmware monitors and strobe custom adjustments not initializing on refresh rate changes if SS were set to OFF. This bug was fixed in V3+ firmware. Now SS is only needed enabled if the refresh rate is lower than 98 hz.
thanks so much for replying and all this information !!!

i have been using 3 monitor in SLI mode for at least 5 years now, never had the flickering nor TDR before even once i am 100% sure coz if it does i would immeditaly search for help.
1 month ago i upgrade to EVGA 1070,and my xl2411z, it was perfect except coil whine

So i return it and bought a Zotac 1070. and start digging into the utility thing.

i was not trying to blame the utility, i was just explaining my timeline.

i am start worrying it is my video card..(very unlikely, since the re-set method i use, solves the problem like almost 100%. At least it is definitely not appearing as much....very very low rate)

so you saying it is Nvidia's latest driver problems? i actually did reroll to earlier one. like 368 version if i rememebr correctly. it still there. (maybe need earlier than that)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Aug 2016, 16:59

I use an AMD video card, but whenever all three monitors in surround just blank off and the middle monitor resets from 144hz to 120hz, it's always driver recovery.

zjxlsbb

Post by zjxlsbb » 28 Aug 2016, 23:10

Falkentyne wrote:I use an AMD video card, .
all 3 monitor 144hz?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Aug 2016, 23:51

I have 1 monitor.