Persistence active after windows reset?and no compatible..

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
r0nz3y

Persistence active after windows reset?and no compatible..

Post by r0nz3y » 16 Dec 2016, 00:18

Hello,

I reset windows after getting a new mobo and now I cannot properly load Blur Busters "no compatible Benq monitor...". My Benq XL2720z is showing as "Zowie XL LCD" in device manager as driver version 1.0.0.0. I previously used Blur Busters to change my persistence before reset. Is this change still with the monitor or will I need to fix Blur Buster to adjust the Persistence?

Thank you,
r0nz3y

Falkentyne

Re: Persistence active after windows reset?and no compatible

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Dec 2016, 00:30

Use the service menu ! :)

r0nz3y

Post by r0nz3y » 16 Dec 2016, 18:10

hmm it seems my monitor is running on V5 now... does the BenQ auto-update? I had it connected to my mobo via the usb cable. That's why BlurBusteres doesn't work? Anyway, I'll have to do some research on how to use these service menus... I hope I can get great performance out V5.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Dec 2016, 18:17

You can't connect the monitor to the motherboard via the USB cable! That's for passthrough (USB Hub) only.

r0nz3y

Post by r0nz3y » 16 Dec 2016, 18:38

Thanks for the info. Do you think the blur buster persistence setting is still active in my monitor? I don't get barely any ghosting or crosswalk with the alien test.

Update: I tried the XL2720Z Blur Reduction off AMA LOW TRICK and the alien test looks horrible.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Dec 2016, 19:49

The persistence settings are stored in the firmware. The strobe utility is simply a DDC/CI front end to communicate with the service menu. Those settings are intact unless you use "reset all" or "recall all" in the monitor OSD or the "factory" (burn-in) menu.

On the XL2720Z, you need to reduce the contrast to 10 or lower to get the best results with 'AMA low'. This is very similar to how Lightboost mode looks on the 27" monitors, because the 27" monitors keep a higher contrast ratio in Lightboost mode than the 24" monitors do. High contrast will INCREASE normal ghosting, so dropping the contrast down is required. The main benefit to "AMA low" on the XL2720Z are for 2D sideshooting games where the inverse ghosting looks more annoying than normal ghosting. So for a decent looking low AMA, you would need contrast <=10 and probably strobe duty (persistence) set to at least 1.5ms, as otherwise things are too dark (low contrast also affects black/white level).

On the 24" monitors, toggling the AMA will reduce the inverse ghosting but will not remove it, however.

r0nz3y

Post by r0nz3y » 17 Dec 2016, 15:18

I'd like to share a picture of my alien test to get your input. What shutter speed should I use on my camera?

oh crap. i installed Benq Display Pilot thinking it may have different drivers. Now when i turn blur reduction on my screen goes black. Power light stays solid white. Can't see menus either. I have a blur-off preset which when I select allows my screen to come back.
Last edited by r0nz3y on 17 Dec 2016, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 17 Dec 2016, 15:30

I have no experience with this. You have to ask Chief or someone else about shutter speeds.
What I do is have the camera follow the speeds of the moving UFO's and then take a picture. If you have a high resolution camera it helps more. You can try a fast shutter speed if you want.

Remember if you set AMA to high AFTER enabling blur reduction (this sets ama to "low"--which isn't really "low" but rather changes the overdrive gain to a low value--you can tell if you set contrast to 0, you will notice inverse ghosting again), any change to brightness, even by 1 point, or strobe duty, strobe phase, single strobe (on/off) or resolution/refresh rate changes will revert the AMA back instantly.
AMA low works best with a contrast value extremely low, like 10, but you have to use a high persistence or the screen is rather dark.
Last edited by Falkentyne on 17 Dec 2016, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

r0nz3y

Post by r0nz3y » 17 Dec 2016, 15:33

Thanks for all your help. I edited my post before you commented, dont think you may have saw this:

i installed Benq Display Pilot thinking it may have different drivers. Now when i turn blur reduction on my screen goes black. Power light stays solid white. Can't see menus either. I have a blur-off preset which when I select allows my screen to come back. I uninstalled display pilot but the blur reduction still causes black screen