Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)

BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby hiroshimus » 17 Aug 2017, 21:18

Hey guys good evening,

So I need help, I have several questions and doubts since I'm very new at all the Gaming Monitors topic.

So I just got a BENQ Zowie XL2720, 27''.

I only want to use it to play Xbox One and Playstation 4, that's it.

My main objective is just getting the best out of them in order for the best possible experience to play competitive First Person Shooters.

Right now I'm mainly playing Overwatch.

So this are my current settings right now:

Blur Reduction: On
Display Mode: Full

Picture:
Brightness: 100
Contrast: 71
Low blue light: 0
Black Equalizer: 10
Color Temperature: User Mode
Reset Color: No
AMA: High
Instant Mode: On
Sharpness: 7

Picture Advanced:
Senseye demo: Off
Overscan: Off
HDMI RGB PC Range: RGB (16 - 235)
Smart Focus:
Size:
Off

I don't have Windows PC or Laptop, so I haven't installed my Benq's CD yet, at all.
I tried to run that BENQ strobe utility by connecting my monitor to my old macbook (2010), but it said that no monitor was found. I guess I have to do this with a Windows PC or laptop, but first I have to install the Benq CD?

Does the benq strobe utility improves something that I wouldn't be able to do manually with the options that come with my monitor?

I ran the UFO test, I did this by connecting my macbook 2010 to the benq monitor through an HDMI cable. I think that the ufos kinda still look blurry. I'm not sure if they would look better if my laptop was newer, better and faster?


The test gave me these results:
Frame rate: 60 fps
Refresh rate: 60 hz
Pixels per frame: 16
Pixels per second: 960

Any recommendations?

Like I said, I just want the best possible experience in order to play competitive FPSs on my ps4 and xbox one. :)
I prefer better gameplay over better graphics.
hiroshimus
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Aug 2017, 18:52

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby Falkentyne » 18 Aug 2017, 20:22

Set Strobe Phase (in the service menu) to 100 for consoles. If the strobe phase is set to 0, input lag will be up to 1 frame higher, which is a huge 16.7ms at 60hz.
Falkentyne
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: 26 Mar 2014, 07:23

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby hiroshimus » 19 Aug 2017, 12:11

Hey man, thanks for that,

So I just popped up the service menu for the first time.

I got this:

Model Name: XL2720
S/N: ETZAG02138SL0
VENDER: QI SDA
PANEL: AUO M270HTN01.0
SCALER: MST 8556T
F/W VERSION: V008-20160815
MONITOR ON TIME: 0002 HR 00 MIN
BACKLIGHT ON TIME: 00020 HR 00 MIN
HDMI HPD: ON
DVI HPD: OFF
LOGO: ON
AUTO POWER: ON
INTERNET CAFE: OFF
STROBE DUTY: 020
STROBE PHASE: 100
SINGLE STROBE: OFF

So the strobe phase was already at 100.

Any other suggestions?

Because I when I did the UFO test on with my macbook the UFO was still kinda blurry.

Like I said, I can't use the strobe utility tool since I don't have a Windows PC so I haven't been able to install the CD that came with the monitor.

Help please :)

Falkentyne wrote:Set Strobe Phase (in the service menu) to 100 for consoles. If the strobe phase is set to 0, input lag will be up to 1 frame higher, which is a huge 16.7ms at 60hz.
hiroshimus
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Aug 2017, 18:52

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2017, 19:52

Falkentyne wrote:Set Strobe Phase (in the service menu) to 100 for consoles. If the strobe phase is set to 0, input lag will be up to 1 frame higher, which is a huge 16.7ms at 60hz.

Die to the wraparound effect, this is not true.

I'll draw diagrams eventualy, but, needless to say, the sudden lag shift is only in the crosstalk zone, but as it shift down, the lag above the crosstalk "follows", until the crosstalk zome falls below bottom, and top edge is 1 frame behind (it's a lag gradient effect!) and 1/2 screenful above crosstalk band is 1/2 frame lag. That lag gradient shifts up/down with the movement of crosstalk zone during Strobe Utility or Service Menu. Then once the crosstalk zone wraps around, it's suddenly back to normal right above the crosstalk zone. Sawtooth graph (one sawtooth peak corresponding to strobe crosstalk band) occurs for a specific screen position lag measurement with horizontal graph axis 0 to 100 for strobe phase, and vertical graph axis for lag. Lag back go normal. So 0 and 100, if it has similar crosstalk zone position, means lag mechanics is virtually identical, and thus, same lag all over again.

Summary:
- the screen area just above crosstalk zone is lowest lag
- the screen area just below crosstalk zone is highest lag
- this remains true no matter where the crosstalk zone is located.
- that is why factory default xl2720z V1 was calibrated to have a crosstalk zone right underneath crosshairs area. That looked ugly during turns/strafes, but kinda lowered lag in exact screen centre by about a couple milliseconds or so.
- Global (non-scanned) strobing creates lag gradients with VSYNC OFF. Due to asymmetry between sequential scanout versus global strobe. Advanced topic to be explained in a future article, as fopic matter interesting to eSports gamers too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3836
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2017, 20:10

hiroshimus wrote:Hey man, thanks for that,

So I just popped up the service menu for the first time.

I got this:

Model Name: XL2720
S/N: ETZAG02138SL0
VENDER: QI SDA
PANEL: AUO M270HTN01.0
SCALER: MST 8556T
F/W VERSION: V008-20160815
MONITOR ON TIME: 0002 HR 00 MIN
BACKLIGHT ON TIME: 00020 HR 00 MIN
HDMI HPD: ON
DVI HPD: OFF
LOGO: ON
AUTO POWER: ON
INTERNET CAFE: OFF
STROBE DUTY: 020
STROBE PHASE: 100
SINGLE STROBE: OFF

So the strobe phase was already at 100.

Any other suggestions?

Because I when I did the UFO test on with my macbook the UFO was still kinda blurry.

Like I said, I can't use the strobe utility tool since I don't have a Windows PC so I haven't been able to install the CD that came with the monitor.

Help please :)

Falkentyne wrote:Set Strobe Phase (in the service menu) to 100 for consoles. If the strobe phase is set to 0, input lag will be up to 1 frame higher, which is a huge 16.7ms at 60hz.


Simple.

For 120Hz blur reduction
1. Connect Macbook at 120Hz
2. Turn on "Motion Blur Reduction" in normal monitor menu
3. Go to www.testufo.com/crosstalk
4. Bring up monitor factory menu
5. Adjust strobe phase until center of screen is clearesr

For console:
1. Go to factory menu and turn on "Single Strobe". Keep strobe phase at 100
2. Connect console
3. Go to regular monitor menu, turn on blur reduction
4. It will flicker bad but motion blur will be gone from 60fps games. (You will get double images for 30fps games)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3836
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby Falkentyne » 19 Aug 2017, 20:32

I wish I had one of these monitors :(
I can't test or help anyone without one...I feel like I'm just talking out of the air :(
Falkentyne
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: 26 Mar 2014, 07:23

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2017, 23:16

Falkentyne wrote:I wish I had one of these monitors :(
I can't test or help anyone without one...I feel like I'm just talking out of the air :(

That's OK, I know you're trying to help :)

Just wanted to clarify, the lag effects of mis-adjusted strobe phase, is a very confusing and hard to explain. I'll probably use the new Blur Busters "scanout" graphics (first used in the GSYNC 101 article) to try and explain the lag mechanics of strobing better eventually in the future.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3836
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby hiroshimus » 20 Aug 2017, 09:46

Thank you very much chief for taking the time to respond in detail :)

Umm, lol I really didn't undertood much of the strobe and the lag explanation per se but, I know you you wanted to explain it to the other guy that was trying to help me out :D I'm totally new at this and I got the monitor last week. I've never owned a gaming monitor before but it is a game changer now that I've tried it.

Just a couple more questions,

1. How do I know if an xbox one game is a 30fps game or a 60 fps game?
2. According to your experience, do you believe that if I switch ON the single strobe option to get rid of blur reduction (even though you said it'll flicker bad), will that give me the best gameplay experience in order to get the most advantage at competitive gaming? (my priority is better gameplay than better graphics)

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Falkentyne wrote:I wish I had one of these monitors :(
I can't test or help anyone without one...I feel like I'm just talking out of the air :(

That's OK, I know you're trying to help :)

Just wanted to clarify, the lag effects of mis-adjusted strobe phase, is a very confusing and hard to explain. I'll probably use the new Blur Busters "scanout" graphics (first used in the GSYNC 101 article) to try and explain the lag mechanics of strobing better eventually in the future.
hiroshimus
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Aug 2017, 18:52

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby Falkentyne » 21 Aug 2017, 16:57

I thought I was replying in the XL2540 thread for some reason. I still have my XL2720Z....
Falkentyne
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: 26 Mar 2014, 07:23

Re: BENQ Zowie XL2720 - Best Settings for Consoles

Postby hiroshimus » 21 Aug 2017, 18:29

Do you know if Single Strobe would be better for console in all cases?
or is it user preference?

Falkentyne wrote:I thought I was replying in the XL2540 thread for some reason. I still have my XL2720Z....
hiroshimus
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Aug 2017, 18:52

Next

Return to BENQ/Zowie Tweaking — Strobe Utility / Blur Reduction / DyAc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests