BenQ Zowie XL2430 | can't save Standart profil

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BenQ Zowie XL2430 | can't save Standart profil

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2017, 11:02

Quaos wrote:Display Pilot is a waste of HD space?
The S Switch doesn't work properly
and if you want Blur Reduction you have to do the 120Hz change?
-- No comment on Display Pilot, some find it useful. I don't use it.
-- S-Switch had bugs in earlier firmwares on some BenQ/Zowies, but many have been fixed.
-- You can do Blur Reduction at any refresh rate on some BenQ/Zowie models (strobe crosstalk does get worse the closer you reach maximum refresh). The 120Hz Blur Reduction limitation only applies to ULMB and to some earlier Zowies.

For Brighter Blur Reduction
XL2430 doesn't have bright Blur Reduction. This is something that must be carefully chosen at purchase-time. If you want super-bright Blur Reduction on a BenQ/Zowie, you need to use DyAc. The "Dynamic Acceleration" models have extra-bright Blur Reduction that's not too much dimmer than non-strobed. Models such as the Zowie XL2546 240Hz monitors can do it. Also, newer ULMB on some GSYNC monitors are also extra-bright (not all models, though).

As a general rule of thumb, currently if brightness is important during blur reduction -- then 240Hz ULMB and 240Hz DyAc are currently the industry's brightest Motion Blur Reduction strobe-backlights (even when run at 120Hz or 144Hz). That's why, nowadays, I recommend that ULMB/LightBoost enthusiast consider getting a 240Hz ULMB or DyAc monitor -- they do 300 nits in strobed mode which is about ~3x brighter than yesterday's older LightBoost motion blur reduction technology.

Some 144Hz monitors do blur reduction quite brightly (especially the 144Hz DyAc monitor, and certain recent GSYNC monitors) but blur reduction brightness has become much more consistently bright with the newer 240Hz monitors if you want the "brightest and most colorful LightBoost-like mode".
Quaos wrote:It seems people would rather have Blur Reduction on at 120Hz than run without at 144Hz?
No, it's a technological limitation for high-quality blur reduction
While blur reduction can work at maximum Hertz, it has a side effect called strobe crosstalk. Blur reduction works better at a refresh rate slightly lower than monitor's maximum. This is because of strobe crosstalk (advanced technical explanation). Technologically, a Blur Reduction strobe backlight need to "cram LCD GtG response between refresh cycles in Vertical Blanking Interval". The easiest way for a monitor to do that is to use a lower refresh rate to create a longer pause between maximum-scanout-velocity refresh cycles. This produces enough time for LCD to refresh in total darkness before a strobe-backlight is flashed once per refresh cycle (for Motion Blur Reduction). That's how Motion Blur Reduction works on modern gaming monitors (whether LightBoost, ULMB, BenQ, DyAc, etc).

Examples of strobe crosstalk double-images during Blur Reduction
Image Bad strobe crosstalk

Image Average/common strobe crosstalk

Image Better-than-average

The closer you strobe to a monitor's maximum Hz, the closer to "Bad strobe crosstalk" (especially at top/bottom edges of screen) becomes. A good crosstalk motion test pattern is http://www.testufo.com/crosstalk -- you will typically have a band of "closer to bad strobe crosstalk" at top/bottom and "closer to average crosstalk" at screen middle. (With properly adjusted strobe phase, at least)

The more headroom margin your refresh rate has (e.g. 120Hz ULMB/DyAc/MBR on a 144Hz monitor -- or doing 144Hz ULMB/DyAc on 240Hz monitor) the less crosstalk there is during blur reduction modes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Quaos

Post by Quaos » 13 Sep 2017, 18:56

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I think I'm following.

In regards to the S Switch bug I was referring to, I mean the profile saving as described here:
"2) Don't use the S-switch; saving Standard Mode into S-switch preset 1/2/3 (Gamer 1/2/3) does not actually save standard mode's low level color calibrations; rather it saves the OSD settings only. Gamer 1/2/3 are HARDWIRED for LOW LEVEL FPS1, FPS2 and RTS color settings, which the user has no access to, even when another mode is saved into it. This absurd behavior was claimed to be "intentional" by Benq on their support forums but I'm not buying that for an iota."

This does apply to the XL2340 ZOWIE?

I tried doing the 120Hz 1350 pixel brightness work around and I appeared to get above average cross talk except for two bands were as bad as the "worst" example. Is there a way to fix this?

I also used the 144Hz and Blur Reduction and overall every band was very close to Average (+/-) a bit. If I can stand the brightness reduction is this an acceptable means of Blur Reduction or would you recommend optimizing the 120Hz method as best I can?

Wish I had known about this before I ordered the XL2430. I love the "features" of the monitor and its construction but I'm a bit bummed by the knowledge required to achieve "advertised results."

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Sep 2017, 21:50

The last person who tested the Zowie XL2430 said that the same bug is still there. So, yes. Unless someone else can prove to the contrary.

FPS1 mode should be obvious from standard mode because:
1) yellows are less vibrant
2) very very light blue (I can't even call it blue, more like...steel blue) looks grayish.
3) Cyan looks more like Teal
4) browns become more reddish.

RTS mode, unless it was changed from the Z monitors, looks similar, except regular blue now looks like light blue.

Quaos

Post by Quaos » 13 Sep 2017, 22:16

In Display Pilot, I am able to remove FPS1, FPS2 and RTS from the list that appears through my monitor menus but I have yet to figure out if the profile I'm replacing them with is actually Standard or some variation on it.

Quaos

Post by Quaos » 14 Sep 2017, 06:51

Played with it more this evening - no luck tricking it in to saving the Standard profile within Display Pilot.

I've done my best to scour the rest of the forums.

Having the Blur Buster Utility working for the XL2430 is on standby at this stage?

Looking in to if I can return the XL2430 as it's been over a month since purchase - or reselling it.

eZen

Post by eZen » 14 Sep 2017, 09:26

Quaos wrote:Played with it more this evening - no luck tricking it in to saving the Standard profile within Display Pilot.

I've done my best to scour the rest of the forums.

Having the Blur Buster Utility working for the XL2430 is on standby at this stage?

Looking in to if I can return the XL2430 as it's been over a month since purchase - or reselling it.
Hello, i've found good result using FPS1 to get closer to standart you can find my comments on Page 1
I really don't find the use of Blur reduction personaly. If you want to get the best result you HAVE to buy one of their DyAc monitor because... Well BenQ set it up to the perfection.

eZen

Post by eZen » 02 Oct 2017, 07:02

I'm adding a new comment here to say that i've returned my XL2430 just because i really wanted to try the 240Hz experience so now i have an XL2546 and the Standart profil bug on the S switch is FIXED on the XL2546. You can now save the profil you want with the settings you want and get it to work like it's supposed to using the S switch.

ghost45

Post by ghost45 » 14 Sep 2021, 01:49

Hi to everybody,
i have just found your forum and i have the problems descibed here...

1) I Can't able to save my profil, and after apply my changes after turn off and turn on my monitor the settings are cleaned !!!
2) Ghost led remaining on after i turn off my monitor.

what is "S-Switch"?

I have upgraded the Benq XL2430T from the Benq center support in Holland,no i have the firmware version 8...Image
And this is the old previous Version 2
new bios ver 8.jpg
new bios ver 8.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 6218 times
Attachments
old bios ver 2.jpg
old bios ver 2.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 6218 times

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Sep 2021, 19:43

ghost45 wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 01:49
Hi to everybody,
i have just found your forum and i have the problems descibed here...

1) I Can't able to save my profil, and after apply my changes after turn off and turn on my monitor the settings are cleaned !!!
2) Ghost led remaining on after i turn off my monitor.

what is "S-Switch"?

I have upgraded the Benq XL2430T from the Benq center support in Holland,no i have the firmware version 8...Image
And this is the old previous Version 2
new bios ver 8.jpg
You have internet cafe mode on. Turn that off.

ghost45

Post by ghost45 » 15 Sep 2021, 00:45

Hi, but internet cafe for me do not made any difference!

I have just received my benq xl2430t with new firmware version n. 8 updated from benq service, but i have seen that for this monitor there is already made new version n. 9....