VT ADJUST FOR CONSOLE

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
adam-es

VT ADJUST FOR CONSOLE

Post by adam-es » 30 Oct 2017, 11:35

I apologize for bad english.
I own a BENQ XL2720Z monitor and an ASUS VG248QE.
I use monitors exclusively to play on the console (XBOX ONE).
I made the VT 1350 tuning for NVIDIA software and I think it disrupted my monitor performance by 60hz.
Does deleting the custom resolution on the NVIDIA website already restore the monitor to factory default? How do I reset this parameter on the monitor?
Thanks to anyone who can help me.

adam-es

Re: VT ADJUST FOR CONSOLE

Post by adam-es » 30 Oct 2017, 11:39

adam-es wrote:I apologize for bad english.
I own a BENQ XL2720Z monitor and an ASUS VG248QE.
I use monitors exclusively to play on the console (XBOX ONE).
I made the VT 1350 tuning for NVIDIA software and I think it disrupted my monitor performance by 60hz.
Does deleting the custom resolution on the NVIDIA website already restore the monitor to factory default? How do I reset this parameter on the monitor?
Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Another question I have is if I need to do some VT tuning for console.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Dec 2017, 16:56

VT tweak is not done on the hardware side of the monitor and has nothing to do with the monitor itself directly.
It's done by the video driver. It's purely video driver side, with sending a custom resolution setting value (a higher vertical total, which you have to read Chief's posts on what this actually is; it's basically a vertical 'blanking' timing relating to refresh rate top to bottom refreshes) to the monitor. It is NOT a monitor setting directly.

Each refresh rate has a stock vertical total value by standards. The monitor sees the vertical total value for that refresh rate, that is how it is able to identify what refresh rate its running at (well, not EXACTLY, as this doesn't always apply). e.g. 100hz has a default Vertical Total of 1133 and 120hz has a default vertical total of 1144.

The monitor can sometimes recognize vertical totals that are 'very' close to the stock default vertical totals; sometimes these are used to signal "Lightboost" mode activation.e.g. VT 1138 at 100hz is a Lightboost signal (if lightboost has been unlocked by 3d vision drivers previously); 1149 is a 120hz lightboost VT signal.

A higher vertical total extends (makes longer) the vertical blanking period, which reduces strobing crosstalk artifacts when using blur reduction. It has no purpose or use when NOT using blur reduction.

The monitor will report 60hz in the OSD, when the vertical total deviates too far from default timings. This is probably some sort of failsafe, or a bug, whatever you want to call it. It's nothing but cosmetic.

It's impossible to use any sort of VT Tweak on a console because it MUST come from the VIDEO DRIVER. Consoles do not have video drivers.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Dec 2017, 10:06

Keeping it simple:
adam-es wrote:I made the VT 1350 tuning for NVIDIA software and I think it disrupted my monitor performance by 60hz.
It has nothing to do with the VT1350 itself but the "Crosstalk" setting" (in Strobe Utility) or "Area" setting (in Service Menu)

Play a console game that has a lot of horizontal panning, then adjust the "Area" setting while on a console. While CRU VT tweaks do not affect consoles, Strobe Utility definitely does. What you adjust for 120Hz will also affect 60Hz. Adjusting "Area"/"Crosstalk" setting will will fix your 60Hz blur reduction performance. Just play a 60fps console game with lots of panning, and adjust for less double-image effects in the middle of screen.

The problem is that this is a global setting that affects all blur reduction modes (computer or console). Memorize the number you use for PC, and memorize the number you use for consoles.
adam-es wrote:Does deleting the custom resolution on the NVIDIA website already restore the monitor to factory default? How do I reset this parameter on the monitor?
No. It has nothing to do with that. It's only because of the "Crosstalk" or "Area" setting. Easy fix.
adam-es wrote:Another question I have is if I need to do some VT tuning for console.
VT tweaks are impossible on a console, unless you can hack the console's graphics chip.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Radu91

Post by Radu91 » 14 Feb 2018, 07:31

Probably custom edid can be used on console, if someone wants for whatever reason:
https://www.amazon.com/Aten-VC080-HDMI- ... B00FQQFTGI
https://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-edid-co ... lator.html

These require Lindy EDID/DDC Emulator for EDID cloning, idk if it works/takes the custom timings on CRU
https://www.connectivitycenter.com/edid ... 32103.html
https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/ ... ator-p8234

I don't think those are useful for the OP, custom timings for 60hz.

(or another way to test, "Writes EDID information over a given I2C-Bus to a monitor.")(to take into consideration maybe monitor bricking)
(https://github.com/ChalkElec/write-edid - Writes custom EDID data into HDMI adapter (Linux, I2C) )(maybe it works with the lindy.co.uk hdmi edid emulator adapters, Idk)

If the increased V blank needs to work in a specific way(for backlight sync) with the driver/gpu, idk.

I did not tested any of this. Idk if it actually works

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Feb 2018, 19:38

Alas, most consoles use pre-defined 1080i or 1080p settings (hard-coded VT1125) and EDID will typically not have any effect. This is possible because HDTV modes are industry standard with an exact fixed VT (1125-line).

So the console will just output a fixed mode, ignoring any EDID customizations to the mode.

VT tricks are pretty much PC-only at this stage.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!