Is that normal when DyAc on and you still seeing ghosting?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
a26905092

Is that normal when DyAc on and you still seeing ghosting?

Post by a26905092 » 28 Dec 2017, 02:39

Hello there , I'm from Asian and sorry my English is poor.

I just got XL2546 recently , and I have noticed when I do those test I see inverse ghosting

Strobe Crosstalk 960 Pixels/Sec
https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk#photo ... &pursuit=0
Strobe Crosstalk 2560 Pixels/Sec
https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk#photo ... &pursuit=0

Here is the photo I shot by HTC M7 phone

photo google drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QnO0Bw ... t-P6f/view

The inverse ghosting I see in the photo is behind the UFO and almost Invisible one, Other looking like Diplopia is phone camera issue

Also do those test and here is result

AMA Premium DyAc off
The UFO is blurry and the inverse ghosting switched to a dark blue shadow behind the UFO
DyAc Premium AMA off
More inverse ghosting

Is that Normal in the XL2546? or just I got a bad one?
Just in case if it is Normal , Did that have any same dynamic clarity but with out ghosting monitor out there?

thanks for reading!

Falkentyne

Re: Is that normal when DyAc on and you still seeing ghostin

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Jan 2018, 10:29

Replied in private message. And hello.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jan 2018, 11:23

The use of a lower refresh rate and/or a Large Vertical total will help greatly -- see http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk

Short technical answer: Strobing (DyAc, etc) at a monitor's maximum Hz will be full of strobe crosstalk. For greatly reduced crosstalk with DyAc or any strobe backlight, you need more headroom between refresh cycles to hide pixel transitions (LCD GtG) in the dark while the screen is still being refreshsed -- so a refresh rate slightly lower than maximum, and an enlarged VBI (via various tricks -- sometimes manufacturer automatic such as ULMB -- or manual such as Large Vertical Totals via CRU). This creates longer idle periods between refresh cycles to let pixels finish transitions in the dark cycle between strobe backlight flashes. Strobe crosstalk is the resulting visibility of incomplete LCD pixel transitions that overlaps at least two consecutive strobe flashes.

Simple end user answer: Lower your refresh rate to reduce strobe crosstalk, and:
-- Additional step #1: For monitors that don't do large VBI automatically (like ULMB/LightBoost does) you may need to a Custom Resolution Utility to create a Large Vertical Total.
-- Additional step #2: Adjust your strobe phase ("Area" setting or via using Strobe Utility) for lowest strobe crosstalk in the screen centre.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Jan 2018, 16:57

Chief! Chief!
Where have you been? Thou hast forgotten about me :(
jk

Anyway
He wasn't talking about strobe crosstalk.
He was talking about Benq's "legendary" aggressive overdrive, causing inverse ghosting all over the place, to try to push white to black to white response times as low as possible.

He has to change the overdrive gain setting in the factory menu to a lower hexadecimal value. Good values, as well as pictures of the drastic improvement, were posted in the original XL2540 thread some time back. I don't have any of these newer monitors, though, since I refuse to buy a blur reduction monitor without 60hz single strobe (and that Dell discontinued OLED monitor is the only recent monitor that allowed it but it cost too much, and was a "test" limited run :(

So I can't really help as much as I wish I can. I can only type what other people found :(

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jan 2018, 21:58

Oh!
Well, it looks like you've helped him over PM.

Yes, I'm going to probably try and begin making more noise about single-strobe 60Hz to try and get more manufacturers to enable that feature again.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 08 Jan 2018, 01:21

I don't know if I helped because he hasn't replied back and he hasn't been online :(

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 08 Jan 2018, 04:21

Just wondering why you would reply in PM and not post the answer here? wouldn't it be more helpful to have the answer were everyone can see it?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jan 2018, 13:30

Yes, generally, I prefer people communicate here on the public forums, though there's no rule against non-spam PM help.

If the message isn't private content, maybe paste the PM message here -- maybe they'll visit and see the message as a not-logged-on reader.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 08 Jan 2018, 19:07

Because I was asking him a personal question. And I don't want to post personal information publicly. Sorry. And I already mentioned the answer here anyway. It's in the XL2540 thread under OD Gain (Factory menu) with screenshots there.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jan 2018, 00:42

All good!