how enable DyAc on ZOWIE XL2735

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Coexist

Re: how enable DyAc on ZOWIE XL2735

Post by Coexist » 31 Oct 2018, 08:01

OK.

So I went through the GetControl commands 0-9 and A-F

00, 01, 02...... 0A, 0B, 0C...

10, 11, 12...... 1A, 1B, 1C...

all the way through to 9F and then all the through to FF

A0, A1, A2...... AA, AB, AC...

Did not see a value of 0041 :(

My commands came back as such however, not the full code as you have shown in above post.:

Command: GetControl 10
Answer: 004B

Coexist

Post by Coexist » 31 Oct 2018, 08:27

Further to this.

The factory menu range is reported as such:

00, 01, 02........09, 0A, 0B........ 0F, 10, 11.........

Range is 00 to 100 (or 0 to 256 decimal?)

So is this hexadecimal in itself and therefore 65 in the factory menu is actually 101 decimal.

But I should perhaps look for 0065 in the command box. tbh i think I would have seen 0065. Unfortunately I just closed softMCCS so can't scroll through and check! Will have to do it again haha

EDIT: Went through again and no 0065 returning as the set value.
So can't seem to find it. in the 00 to FF range

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Oct 2018, 14:21

Wow, that's a lot of work that you did -- must have taken you two hours or more if you did it all manually!

Sorry that there was no way to control custom AMA without the Factory Menu. I was hoping, because I could have created a custom AMA tuner app.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Coexist

Post by Coexist » 31 Oct 2018, 15:20

no problem.

nah only 15 mins to run through the GetControl commands once your in the groove of mashing buttons.

Its just a shame the factory menu setting doesn't stick in between power cycles. If it did stick then not an issue to set it once and forget.

Thanks for your support anyway, the utility is great. Here' s to hoping for 1440p 240hz 0.5ms so I can waste some more money :D

will ebay the current setup I think when that happens and buy a 27" 1440p IPS 60Hz for secondary and the 240hz primary. One day ill be as comfortable as I was on my glorious CRT 85hz "flat screen" beast.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Nov 2018, 16:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Damn, I was hoping your monitor would have a VCP code for the custom AMA values. If that existed, then I could do software magic on it, even possibly auto-reset the value everytime the monitor is powered up again.

There is one longshot hope, though. Sometimes hidden codes (not listed in MCCS) has it.
Since we already know the default for AMA High is 65 or hexadecimal 0x41, we can try to hunt for this value in a different way:

In SoftMCCS hit F10 to bring up the Command Processor then type

GetControl 10

You should get output similar to:

23:09:00.96788...Incoming API call: GetControl 10
23:09:00.97289.....[S] <6E:w> 51 82 01 10 AC [P]
23:09:01.0288A.....[S] <6F:r> 6E 88 02 00 10 00 00 64 00 40 0A*[P]

VCP control code 10 is brightness, which is currently set to hex 64 (which is decimal 100). I can change my monitor menu OSD brightness by typing "SetControl 10 32" to halve my screen brightness. For the MCCS (Monitor Control Command Set) Version 2.2 API, google "VESA MCCS 2.2 PDF" and you'll see a list of what codes corresponds to what adjustments.

Unfortunately there is no MCCS standard for strobe tuning or overdrive tuning, although Blur Busters currently is developing a strobe tuning standard API (monitor manufacturers can contact me at mark[at]blurbusters.com).

____

Hunting for possible undocumented VCP registers that corresponds to the custom AMA setting:
First, set AMA to a known value (e.g. AMA High) which is 65 in Factory Menu (decimal 65 equals hex 41)
However, you can read some undocumented VCP registers that don't even show up as manufacturer specific, in the SoftMCCS command line processor (F10 key):

GetControl E0
GetControl E1
GetControl E2
GetControl E3
GetControl E4
GetControl E5
GetControl E6
GetControl E7
GetControl E8
GetControl E9
GetControl EA
GetControl EB
GetControl EC
GetControl ED
GetControl EE
GetControl EF
GetControl F0
GetControl F1
GetControl F2
GetControl F3
GetControl F4
GetControl F5
GetControl F6
GetControl F7
GetControl F8
GetControl F9
GetControl FA
GetControl FB
GetControl FC
GetControl FD
GetControl FE
GetControl FF

And seeing if you find any instances of hex "41" in the output console where I've highlighted in red. If you've found it, try adjusting it manually using a "SetControl ## ##" -- first two hex digits is the VCP command (e.g. E0) and last two digits is new value to set.
You may also attempt hunting other undocumented VCP from 00 thru FF even non-manufacturer-specific. For example, 0x40 thru 0x4F is sometimes repurposed for custom adjustments.

This veers into advanced / programmer territory -- but if you find your eureka, I'll give you a free Strobe Utility beta installer with a custom AMA tuner. If it works, then I may make AMA tuning an official feature of Strobe Utility 2.1
Chief,
These monitors don't have Soft MCCS codes for these settings.
They are not DDC commands.

the "OD Gain" that the poster is referring to is the exact same setting you saw on your Asus VG248QE (remember that) that is in its own factory menu, where setting it from 0F (default for Lightboost mode) to 0C would help reduce the very slight inverse ghosting at the bottom of the screen, making the ghosting invisible to the human eye after the monitor has warmed up for 30 minutes.

And I don't know if you remember the VG248QE (back in the day, no one ever messed with the 0D Gain setting, as it could cause inverse ghosting WORSE than "Overdrive 100" (Whatever it was called) when lightboost mode was disabled, as it literally applied the gain on TOP of the overdrive setting.

But it defaulted to 0F for Lightboost mode, and setting it slightly less aggressive (0C was best) made things even better than a CRT ghosting wise!

The 0D Gain setting will reset on resolution switches and on power off. It's not a 'standard' monitor feature.

There was no way to access this via Soft MCCS on the VG248QE And there isn't on any of the Benq monitors either.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Nov 2018, 17:58

Thanks for the feedback. It's a shame that I can't do overdrive fine-tuning on these monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Nov 2018, 20:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Thanks for the feedback. It's a shame that I can't do overdrive fine-tuning on these monitors.
Well the OD Gain setting is the fine tuning.
I did some googling long ago about what "OD Gain" is, and there were supposedly two "values" used for overdrive, one was "gain" and another was some other term, but I can't remember the term. I did post it on your forums LONG LONG ago however. Basically the monitor OSD with the overdrive settings uses one of the two terms, while OD Gain is a "gain" on that value.

If a monitor has a good overdrive balance, you can use OD Gain to remove all inverse ghosting and then all you will have left is strobe crosstalk (from blur reduction).

Remember OD Gain functions with blur reduction off as well.

The old Z series Mstar based Benq monitors that didn't have this setting still had access to it indirectly, if blur reduction was enabled, by changing AMA to high (highlighting AMA high after enabling blur reduction, but without moving it to off or premium, just move it to high even if its already on high), which would greatly reduce the amount of inverse ghosting. (this required V3 firmware or newer). Then you could use a profile bug to apply this to blur reduction off by using a S-switch preset. (it was impossible to apply this to blur reduction disabled, without first enabling it).

It's nice that Benq kept this "feature" intact on their newest monitors, and I appreciate that, but I do not appreciate there being no 60hz - 85hz single strobe anymore.

Chief have you tried to reach out to Benq about if they can include this option again? Your site has become a lot more famous than before, surely someone at Benq would listen now?