Question regarding XL2411Z firmware updates

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
keksnaps

Question regarding XL2411Z firmware updates

Post by keksnaps » 28 Jan 2018, 17:39

Hello!

I have a smal question regarding all those XL2411Z firmware updates. Im currently using v2 and never actually had any problems using it. I recently found out that there is already a v5 firmware for this monitor but couldnt find any changelogs comparing v2 with v5 and if it is worth upgrading. So could someone please tell me if the difference between v2 and v5 is high or not? Ive read that its a little complicated to upgrade the firmware from the Monitor so i dont really want to risk anything upgrading except if its worth it.

Thank you!

Falkentyne

Re: Question regarding XL2411Z firmware updates

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Jan 2018, 20:29

As far as I know, V3 firmware for XL2411Z and XL2420Z and XL2720Z all address similar bugs:

1) low blue light and some other settings not being saved properly to gamer presets

2) issues with consistency in gamer presets being recalled.

3) setting AMA level (high) AFTER enabling blur reduction no longer causes extreme massive and eye-bleeding overshoot; now this causes slightly less ghosting (much less on XL2720Z)by reducing the overdrive gain amount. This greatly helps the XL2420Z and XL2411Z's blur reduction quality by reducing the inverse ghosting greatly. On the XL2720Z, due to the different panel voltages, this causes normal ghosting by exceeding the neutral point; reducing contrast down to 10 helps tone this down. This might seem bad, but this allows the XL2720Z to have perfect ghosting with blur reduction off, while the 24" versions only benefit slightly with MBR off (see below).

4) fixed a problem with single strobe=off causing default (not custom) strobe setting to be applied on resolution changes at high refresh rates changes (usually, Strobe Phase=040, Strobe Duty=020, regardless of what is set in the service menu or the windows strobe utility)

#3 can be combined with another bug, with switching to a saved preset that has blur reduction disabled, for removing inverse overshoot ghosting from blur reduction disabled. The XL2720Z benefits MASSIVELY from this if blur reduction is disabled (enabling blur reduction, setting AMA to high or retoggling the AMA after blur reduction is enabled, switching directly to a preset with blur reduction disabled).

V4 firmware (for XL2720 and XL2420Z), fixed a displayport refresh rate issue.
V5 --no idea.

V7-- no idea (could be Zowie rebrand of V5).