ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Series!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2014, 23:03

Juin wrote:someone mentioned a Febuary 2014 firmware update, does it exist or is there no better/newer firmware than the december 2013 firmware?
February 2014 shipping of monitors with updated firmware (dated December 17th, 2013 or later).

However, I am not yet sure how many of the shipping units are fixed units, and how many of the shipping units are unfixed, as there is a lot of conflicting information coming from the different BENQ departments. I am now finally reaching more people within BENQ, so some traction may be gained. However, for people who are very concerned about the strobe timing issue, I do not advise people to blindly purchase Z-series monitors before the public release of the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, since there is no guarantee the unit that you will get, contains a fixed firmware. I am, however, working to find a resolution to that ASAP, such as being able to post a link to a guaranteed source of Z-series monitors that definitely have firmware compatible with the Utility.

UPDATE: I personally cannot guarantee which stores have compatible monitors in stock. For those who has not purchased yet, people who want to buy monitors that are guaranteed compatible with Strobe Utility -- may wish to wait for the forthcoming news. BENQ USA is aware. See new note about forthcoming news/solution.

Meanwhile, an ASUS representative just introduced himself on this forum. Hopefully I've raised a bit of pressure on BENQ to get a resolution done as soon as possible for all of us.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 05 Mar 2014, 06:47

nice news chef, specially for the 60hz motion clarity.
i believe i have never seen a pal crt so i dont know how to compare its flickering to a monitor like my lg flatron ez t71osh to know if it would be similar to my crt at 60 or 50 hz, do you or anyone have any info about this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Mar 2014, 09:48

Similar to CRT at 50Hz. It's slightly easier to see flicker in strobe backlights than flicker on a CRT, because of the all-at-once flash effect and there's effectively no phosphor decay to soften the flickers. However, it's there for those people who need the ability.

If you aren't aiming for the lowest possible lag but the clearest possible motion at the lowest GPU power for modern PC games -- I do, however, highly recommend 75Hz or 85Hz instead, as a compromise between GPU power and fluidity, if the games can be made to run at those rates. Where GPU power allows, 120fps @ 120Hz will generally provide the best experience. (144Hz strobing is still improved by the Utility but there will be still a lot of strobe crosstalk, since 144Hz is not compatible with the Vertical Total 1350 trick.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

defalkner

Post by defalkner » 05 Mar 2014, 16:03

toffeln wrote:Since I've recently received BenQ XL2411Z and still got the possibility of returning the unit I'm wondering if there is there any confirmed way to check if I got one of the early shipping units or not?(For example; Mfg Date, S/N or Rev). Would greatly appreciate any information into the matter!
FYI BenQ requires you pay for the shipping on returns (could be around $45 one way). If you have a good model (no dead pixels and the screen is clean) than it might be worth keeping until you are able to firmware upgrade it or just use the Blur Busters utility.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Mar 2014, 17:49

UPDATE: As of today March 5th, 2014:
As of today March 5th there is now a solution forthcoming for users who want to use Blur Busters Strobe Utility. News forthcoming.

FATAL1TY

Post by FATAL1TY » 05 Mar 2014, 21:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:UPDATE: As of today March 5th, 2014:
As of today March 5th there is now a solution forthcoming for users who want to use Blur Busters Strobe Utility. News forthcoming.
it's getting exciting now

good luck Mark! :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Mar 2014, 15:05

Anonymous716839 wrote:Hello,i'm totally inexpert in these things,i would like to make some question since im getting the new 2411z.
I know the 2411t is lightboost compatible,the 2411z has a motion blur reducing that works quite similar to lightboost,right?
with motion blur reducing,i can play at 120hz or only at 60hz?
do you suggest to buy the 2411t or i'm doing the right choice going for the 2411z?
sorry,but i'm really disinformated on these thing,i would appreciate a help,thank you !
- Z-Series: BENQ Blur Reduction works at all refresh rates 60Hz through 144Hz
- T-Series: LightBoost only works at 100Hz through 120Hz

If you are wanting the Z-Series, there is a pending announcement which you might choose to wait for. There is a forthcoming solution that will be announced (this is separate from the announcement of the Blur Busters Strobe Utility). If you wanting the T-Series, it will work great with the ToastyX Strobelight, via the LightBoost HOWTO.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2014, 10:45

Anonymous716839 wrote:I bought a z series,it will be mine in few days,but do you think is there the possibility that some z series will nevere have a fix? is it possible?
i bought the monitor this morning ,it should have a fw updated that can work with the fix ,right?
Unfortunately, I can't guarantee your unit will be compatible with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility. There's lots of Z-series that won't work with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, and it is also wholly possible your unit may not have the firmware.

However, there is a solution forthcoming if you do receive an unsupported unit. I can't reveal yet -- I can say news is forthcoming, including for people who haven't purchased Z-series yet, and for people who already purchased but have the old firmware. Keep tuned for the news.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2014, 19:37

UPDATE:

For those anticipating the release of the Blur Busters Strobe Utility:

(1) I am still waiting for the code signing certificate, as I registered for a Windows Authenticode code signing certificate, since it authenticates my executable as a safe download. This may take one-to-two more weeks, so the first public beta release will be an unsigned download at first.

(2) I am currently undergoing a decision-making process about whether or not to hold back the public release Blur Busters Strobe Utility (after my original March 12 date) until the forthcoming announcement. Meanwhile, if you send a PM, I will respond within one-to-two days with a link for you to try out on your Z-Series.

I am allowed to say:
"An update is forthcoming so please stay tuned for regional news on each of the BenQ sites."
I can't say further specifics at this time yet.

Juin

Post by Juin » 11 Mar 2014, 20:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:UPDATE:

For those anticipating the release of the Blur Busters Strobe Utility:

(1) I am still waiting for the code signing certificate, as I registered for a Windows Authenticode code signing certificate, since it authenticates my executable as a safe download. This may take one-to-two more weeks, so the first public beta release will be an unsigned download at first.

(2) I am currently undergoing a decision-making process about whether or not to hold back the public release Blur Busters Strobe Utility (after my original March 12 date) until the forthcoming announcement. Meanwhile, if you send a PM, I will respond within one-to-two days with a link for you to try out on your Z-Series.

I am allowed to say:
"An update is forthcoming so please stay tuned for regional news on each of the BenQ sites."
I can't say further specifics at this time yet.
I want to buy a XL2720Z and i'm living in Germany would you say it is worth waiting for the forthcoming news on the BenQ sites?
I am thinking you probably can't give a timeframe in how long its gonna take (days/weeks/months) until the news but i thought i'd ask anyways?