Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Series!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby masterotaku » 14 Mar 2014, 15:06

Rennkuckuck wrote:is that the hardware I need for the V2 firmware?

http://cart100.com/Product/18092359047/LCD_development_tools_turn_Debug_Tool_US/

I know that I am impatient :-)


I think that's the right piece of hardware. Chief, do you know of any other site with cheaper shipping costs for Europeans like me (in that site it's $20.63 for me)?
I would also like instructions on how to use it.

In my opinion, buying the MSTAR unit might be the best thing I can do, just in case another firmware update happens (or for helping friends, or using it on future monitors, etc).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
User avatar
masterotaku
 
Posts: 426
Joined: 20 Dec 2013, 04:01

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2014, 15:15

Rennkuckuck wrote:is that the hardware I need for the V2 firmware?
http://cart100.com/Product/18092359047/LCD_development_tools_turn_Debug_Tool_US/
I know that I am impatient :-)
Yup.
That will successfully install the BenQ V2 firmware, it's exactly the unit I used to install the V2 firmware.
Yes, instructions will be posted. Keep tuned.
EDIT: Instructions now at http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/diy-fir ... -z-series/

masterotaku wrote:In my opinion, buying the MSTAR unit might be the best thing I can do, just in case another firmware update happens (or for helping friends, or using it on future monitors, etc).

This makes total sense. You can even resell the MSTAR ISP to somebody else, probably for almost the full price you purchased, essentially getting your money back, too!

Surround Users:
You only need to buy one unit to upgrade multiple monitors.
This is cheaper than shipping three XL2720Z's for servicing/exchange.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3816
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby Rennkuckuck » 16 Mar 2014, 06:43

@Chief Blur Buster
What would be your recommended settings for the blurbusters strobe utility to have the sweet spot for emilinating the double images in the lower screen trird?
User avatar
Rennkuckuck
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Mar 2014, 16:19

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2014, 04:34

Blur Busters Strobe Utility is now released!
http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility/

Optimal Crosstalk setting varies based on current refresh rate (and/or custom timings). If you use the "Vertical Total 1350 Trick", the optimal Crosstalk setting will usually be between 0 and 3 during 100 to 120Hz. At other times, it will work best at a much higher setting. Crosstalk is easily calibrated while viewing TestUFO motion tests.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3816
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby LogicElite » 19 Mar 2014, 11:45

For those who are using Display Pilot.

Make sure that Display pilot is disabled while using Blur Busters Strobe utility since it may results some conflict with the blur reduction functionality.
LogicElite
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 30 Dec 2013, 10:32

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 19 Mar 2014, 13:49

Rennkuckuck wrote:@Chief Blur Buster
What would be your recommended settings for the blurbusters strobe utility to have the sweet spot for emilinating the double images in the lower screen trird?

Check out this thread for settings: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=452
Feel free to add your own different, custom settings (for different specific refresh rates, with or without the VT1350 trick!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3816
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby xwgpx55 » 02 Apr 2014, 08:02

Hey - not too sure where to post this but I figured I might give here a shot.

Recently got my 24" BenQ Z-series monitor. It's my first 144Hz monitor (moved up from a 60hz Asus). I DEFINITELY notice a nice difference playing the game @ 144!

I added the utility, but I guess I still don't know how to use it to my advantage and would like to clear it up. I play a lot of Counter-Strike:GO and would like to optimize my new screen for the game. I'm very green when it comes to all of these settings and was wondering how I could best adjust the monitor settings/strobe utility settings for an optimized gameplay experience. I currently think the game seems a bit washed out looking, and I feel like I have trouble seeing some things. I feel like it's a combination of the screen coloring and the lack of brightness due to the blur reduction (even with the Blur Buster's tool jacked up all the way for max brightness)

Any suggestions for this game?
xwgpx55
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Mar 2014, 06:51

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby masterotaku » 02 Apr 2014, 08:16

xwgpx55 wrote:I currently think the game seems a bit washed out looking, and I feel like I have trouble seeing some things. I feel like it's a combination of the screen coloring and the lack of brightness due to the blur reduction

The gamma setting is the first thing you should change in the monitor OSD. By default, it's set to "Gamma 1" (looks washed out, too bright, etc). I'm using "Gamma 5" and it looks good. You can also use the settings used in this review: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2420z
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
User avatar
masterotaku
 
Posts: 426
Joined: 20 Dec 2013, 04:01

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby xwgpx55 » 02 Apr 2014, 08:26

masterotaku wrote:
xwgpx55 wrote:I currently think the game seems a bit washed out looking, and I feel like I have trouble seeing some things. I feel like it's a combination of the screen coloring and the lack of brightness due to the blur reduction

The gamma setting is the first thing you should change in the monitor OSD. By default, it's set to "Gamma 1" (looks washed out, too bright, etc). I'm using "Gamma 5" and it looks good. You can also use the settings used in this review: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2420z


Wow there's a tremendous amount of info on that link. I'll start with this. Thanks!
xwgpx55
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Mar 2014, 06:51

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Postby Rennkuckuck » 02 Apr 2014, 11:13

I upgraded my 27020Z to Firmware V002 but can not run the Blurbusters Strobe Utility.. instead I got the attached message followed by a red message "Error During Detecting Monitors!" DDC/CI is turned ON.
The BenQ service page lets me adjust strobe duty and phase. I tried different DVI port of my GTX670 but there is no difference - what else could have gone wrong?

Best regards
Rennkuckuck
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
User avatar
Rennkuckuck
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 13 Mar 2014, 16:19

PreviousNext

Return to BENQ/Zowie Tweaking — Strobe Utility / Blur Reduction / DyAc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests