ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Series!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
ADP

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Post by ADP » 04 Mar 2014, 06:34

masterotaku wrote: I'm interested in this as well. Being the newest Z monitor (it was released around a week ago), the chance of having the new firmware by default should be very high, right?

Besides, strobing at 60Hz is very appealing, for emulators that aren't included in Retroarch and games like Skyrim or other ones that force 60Hz (my eyes may complain, but my mind will be happy). And the strobe length won't be linked to the frequency :D .

It depends on the stock of shoop unfortunately, I have bought 3 monitors xl2720Z last week and I arrived with production in December and then with firmware bugs. If you want to be sure you have to wait many more months and only then buy from shop with great supplies.

I hope that my monitors are compatible with the utility so as to fix the bug and I can not wait to download it

ScepticMatt

Post by ScepticMatt » 04 Mar 2014, 12:02

Chief Blur Buster wrote:BENQ Blur Reduction = strobe rate of 60Hz through 144Hz (via utility on new firmware)
Nice, so now 60p content works well with low persistence (as long as average brightness level isn't too high, of course)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2014, 12:29

At 60Hz strobe, it does flicker a lot.
Flickers more similarly to a PAL 50Hz CRT, since strobe backlight flicker is not softened by phosphor decay.
The option is available, there for those who can tolerate flicker. :-)

At 120Hz, it's pretty comfortable to look at (as long as you're used to TN LCD, and know how to calibrate TN LCD).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2014, 14:42

masterotaku wrote:I'm interested in this as well. Being the newest Z monitor (it was released around a week ago), the chance of having the new firmware by default should be very high, right?
I'm hoping, but I'm also hearing conflicting information from different BENQ parties. I have told a few other BENQ reps that they need to clarify their message quicker that I can relay the correct message.

[edit -- old text located here now removed]

I have been forced to mention this in public.
I hereby urge BENQ to fix their conflicting message ASAP.

UPDATE: As of today march 5th, 2014:
A solution is forthcoming for users who do not have firmware compatible with Blur Busters Strobe Utility. News forthcoming.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ballen123

Post by ballen123 » 04 Mar 2014, 14:59

I have firmware: V001-20131203 Do you think this will work? :)

carecry

Post by carecry » 04 Mar 2014, 15:04

Kinda separate question but how does the motion blur reduction affect input lag, particularly at lower persistence (0.5 and 1ms)? Is it the same as lightboost, or possibly(wishfully) better?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2014, 15:15

carecry wrote:Kinda separate question but how does the motion blur reduction affect input lag, particularly at lower persistence (0.5 and 1ms)? Is it the same as lightboost, or possibly(wishfully) better?
Depends on earlier strobe or later strobe.
Crosstalk adjust has minor effect on input lag (range of ~2-3ms or so)
Persistence adjust has no effect on input lag.

-- Earlier strobe has less input lag than LightBoost but looks far worse than LightBoost.
-- Slightly later strobe has equal input lag as LightBoost.

IMHO, adjusting strobe for best LightBoost clarity is far by the best thing to do, because you get faster reaction time with clearer image, while earlier strobe can create a double image effect that can interfere/distract your reaction time more than the input lag savings of an earlier strobe.

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 04 Mar 2014, 17:47

ballen123 wrote:I have firmware: V001-20131203 Do you think this will work? :)

Let me decode that-

Version-YYYYMMDD so looks like a december firmware which chief said most likely works. (hopefully?) We'll know on the 12th. Seriously though If that can get pushed up a day or two it would be great. My return window is closing pretty much on the day its released. It would be nice to be able to confirm before that closes.

Juin

Post by Juin » 04 Mar 2014, 17:55

So i've been following these threads about the XL2720Z firmware bug in this forum for a few months now and one thing thats still unclear to me is that, someone mentioned a Febuary 2014 firmware update, does it exist or is there no better/newer firmware than the december 2013 firmware?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Mar 2014, 23:02

I know that firmware dated December 17th, 2013 would work.
However, I'm not sure about firmware dated before that.