Strobe Utility 2.0 BETA Download!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
whitestar

Re: Strobe Utility 2.0 BETA Download!

Post by whitestar » 18 Sep 2020, 07:15

Hi again, just wondering: Do I need a larger vertical total when using 2560x1440 (through DSR) on my XL2720Z?
If so, what should the values look like under Timing in the Create Custom Resolution window in Nvidia Control Panel?

Should I change the values for Active pixels, Front porch and so on?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Sep 2020, 13:19

whitestar wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 07:15
Hi again, just wondering: Do I need a larger vertical total when using 2560x1440 (through DSR) on my XL2720Z?
If so, what should the values look like under Timing in the Create Custom Resolution window in Nvidia Control Panel?

Should I change the values for Active pixels, Front porch and so on?
It's very monitor dependent. Before you play with these numbers, please understand what Custom Resolution Utility numbers means. Custom Resolution Glossary. Once you do, understand Quick Frame Transport (Large Vertical Totals to reduce input lag).

Now, another advantage of Large Vertical Totals is that it makes it easier to hide LCD GtG transitions between refresh cycles -- helping you reduce strobe crosstalk.

Now that you understand the science of large vertical totals, the usual method of increasing large vertical totals is adjusting one of the vertical porches. By now, if you've read the links above, you realize Active Pixels stays unchanged because it's the vertical resolution, and that you realize by now different monitors may or may not react differently from adjusting the VBI numbers, based on the geometric layout of the display signal format.

Those Custom Resolution numbers can be pretended as hidden virtual area beyond edges of screen, to make it easier to understand the Custom Resolution Utility:

Some monitors will go out of sync if you add 1 to one of the VBI numbers, while other monitors are forgiving when you add lots to the VBI numbers. Also some monitors scan-convert their signal internally (cable scanout driven by custom resolution, isn't in 1:1 symmetric sync with panel scanout) so you may not have crosstalk changes from large vertical totals on some panels.

Watch your dot clock budget (cable bandwidth) when you adjust your vertical totals. You can also keep an eye on horizontal scanrate if you want to make it mathematically easier. For example, VT1125 at 240Hz (45 offscreen pixel-row VBI) is easily doubled to VT2500 at 120Hz (1170 offscreen pixel-row VBI), while maintaining exactly the same dotclock, keeping within the panel specs. And then hoping the panel accepts the cable signal verbatim without scanrate reprocessing/conversion.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bombilakus

Post by Bombilakus » 10 Nov 2020, 06:07

Is it worth buying mstar replica from ebay and upgrading my xl2420z. Is the picture that much better?

Inco^

Post by Inco^ » 24 Nov 2020, 15:06

Hi,

I have been using Blur Busters Strobe Calibration Utility with my Zowie BenQ XL2546K monitor.
As for monitor detection, I get "ZOWIE XL LCD" and it says Device BNQ7F83. Here is a screenshot:

When adjusting the sliders, the expected changes do occur. That is, lower brightness with lower persistence, and modified horizontal positions of crosstalk artefacts with modified strobe phase.

I have different OSD profiles that I can activate through the S-switch. When I want to change persistence+phase on a particular OSD profile, I have to select this profile with the S-switch, open Blur Busters Strobe Calibration Utility, adjust the settings, save OSD profile. Then, when I want to change persistence+phase on another OSD profile, I have to close Blur Busters Strobe Calibration Utility, select the desired OSD profile with the S-switch, open Blur Busters Strobe Calibration Utility, adjust the settings, save OSD profile. This way, Blur Busters Strobe Calibration Utility will show different values for different OSD profiles, and they are saved for each OSD profile.

One little question: in the crosstalk test, it is not possible to not have quite visible crosstalk. Does it mean I should consider reducing refresh rate? I know 182 Hz was the advised trade-off found by experts, I would be curious if anyone with XL2546K could share their view on the optimal refresh rate.
I am running DyAc+ Premium, AMA Premium, 240 Hz.

Thanks,
Inco^
PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2020, 16:22

Perfect, I probably can add XL2546K to BlurBustersStrobeUtility.ini configuration file this way.

If you are able, can you test all ports of your XL2546K to get device IDs for all ports (HDMI, DP) on your monitor?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2020, 16:26

[quote=Inco post_id=60419 time=1606248385 user_id=6842]One little question: in the crosstalk test, it is not possible to not have quite visible crosstalk. Does it mean I should consider reducing refresh rate? I know 182 Hz was the advised trade-off found by experts, I would be curious if anyone with XL2546K could share their view on the optimal refresh rate.[/quote]
Max Hz is too little time between refresh cycles to have LCD GtG finish hidden unseen by eyes between refresh cycles.

There is a continuum. For every 1Hz reduction, the strobe crosstalk-free zone becomes a few pixels taller. You lower the refresh rate incrementally until you like the tradeoffs. Some use 120Hz, others 144Hz, and yet others 180Hz or 182Hz. Probably 200Hz on XL2546K could work too.

Warm up consideration on factory new shipments:

Make sure you warm up panel (72hr break-in after shipment, 1hr warmup if has cooled off from being turned off) for best permanent calibration results, but you can begin temporary calibration immediately. LCD GtG changes after shipment and stablizes after approx 72 hours after being moved around/shipped/etc (due to pressure spots during shipment, needs LCD liquid reflow) which sometimes can cause the crosstalk zone to thicken by about 10-25% thicker and slowly shrinks bit over 72hr break in after a boxed shipment/move due to LCD liquid shifting between the panel glass sandwich, changing GtG pixel response speeds temporarily. Also cold rooms slows down LCD GtG, thickening crosstalk zone. For break in after ship, sometimes fully stable after 24h or takes a week for varying LCD GtG to finalize, so 72h is a common-sense ballpark.

Inco^

Post by Inco^ » 25 Nov 2020, 18:35

For the DP, the ID is BNQ7F83.
For the 3 HDMI ports, the ID is BNQ7F84.

Regarding crosstalk, I will do some testing.*

I don't have vSync ON because my game drops below 240 fps at some (rare but not so rare) occurences. If I decrease my refresh rate, I could then maybe use vSync, which I think could help for better motion clarity. It's a pity I can't have G-Sync.

In the context of having DyAc+ removing lots of motion blur, when decreasing refresh rate, where am I losing mostly?
Response time?
Input lag? (corrected if I cap FPS to refresh rate minus 0.01 ?)
Motion blur? (not as much as without DyAc+ I suppose?)

*edit: well, I did some tests. I launched the utility and checked for crosstalk. It was still present but more faint as I decreased the refresh rate. Then I went ingame with 100 Hz and instantly saw that it was 'garbage' (sorry for wording). So much that at that point, I didn't even bother evaluate crosstalk. Then I went back ingame with 144 Hz and it was 'decent'. But still, the loss in motion clarity/quality made me forget about evaluating crosstalk. Then I went back ingame with 240 Hz and it was 'good'. Then I turned off DyAc+ to put things into perspective. DyAc+ OFF with 240 Hz was almost as good as with DyAc+ ON, and it was definitely better than 144 Hz with DyAc+ ON. Which makes me question the whole blur reduction thing and if I wouldn't be better served with a 360 Hz monitor. Now this is not my first 240 Hz monitor and this one is definitely smoother (DyAc+ ON or OFF) which tells me that having 360 Hz is no guarantee I will be better served. DyAc+ remains an improvement, though. But this monitor (XL2546K) with DyAc+ OFF is already a greater improvement, compared to my previous 240 Hz monitor (Y27gq-25).
PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2020, 08:01

Inco^ wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 18:35
In the context of having DyAc+ removing lots of motion blur, when decreasing refresh rate, where am I losing mostly?
Inco^ wrote:
Response time?
This is a special situation. Strobed response time actually improves for lower Hz because strobe crosstalk is a response-time limitation. Please read Pixel Response FAQ: GtG Versus MPRT.
Inco^ wrote:
Input lag? (corrected if I cap FPS to refresh rate minus 0.01 ?)
You will have more input lag at lower Hz
Inco^ wrote:
Motion blur? (not as much as without DyAc+ I suppose?)
No difference in motion blur at all refresh rates, motion blur is dictated by strobe flash length, not by refresh cycle:

BenQ is an adjustable-MPRT monitor (because MPRT = Strobe Length!), so motion blur is independent of Hz, although the monitor may automatically choose a longer strobe flash at lower Hz, but for equal flash versus equal flash, the motion blur is identical at all refresh rates for framerate=Hz motion.

Stroboscopics will look different (The Stroboscopic Effect Of Finite Frame Rates) but there is no motion blur differences for different refresh rates -- it's the same like a CRT generally doesn't have motion blur differences at different CRT refresh rates, since strobing decouples motion blur away from refresh rates.

Another consideration is strobing looks so much better at framerate=Hz, so if you're looking for low-lag techniques, use RTSS Scanline Sync or Low Lag VSYNC. You want to avoid duplicate image effects:

Inco^ wrote:
*edit: well, I did some tests. I launched the utility and checked for crosstalk. It was still present but more faint as I decreased the refresh rate. Then I went ingame with 100 Hz and instantly saw that it was 'garbage' (sorry for wording). So much that at that point, I didn't even bother evaluate crosstalk. Then I went back ingame with 144 Hz and it was 'decent'. But still, the loss in motion clarity/quality made me forget about evaluating crosstalk. Then I went back ingame with 240 Hz and it was 'good'. Then I turned off DyAc+ to put things into perspective. DyAc+ OFF with 240 Hz was almost as good as with DyAc+ ON, and it was definitely better than 144 Hz with DyAc+ ON. Which makes me question the whole blur reduction thing and if I wouldn't be better served with a 360 Hz monitor. Now this is not my first 240 Hz monitor and this one is definitely smoother (DyAc+ ON or OFF) which tells me that having 360 Hz is no guarantee I will be better served.
If you use VSYNC OFF, then max-Hz strobing is sometimes better, like if you're using DyAc+ with CS:GO for aim stabilizing purposes.

But if you use VSYNC ON or other framerate=Hz algorithm (RTSS Scanline Sync), slightly lower Hz strobing is superior. Don't forget the moving-eye versus stationary-gaze situation, see HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively. You won't be able to see strobing benefits for fixed-gaze at crosshairs (unless you're aim stabilizing during a bullet spray), while strobing can benefits tracking-gaze on scrolling framerate=Hz motion (like DOTA2-type panning motions, or Rocket League crosshairsless motions)

For esports, you may want to use VSYNC OFF DyAC+ .... It won't be as pretty but it'll be low lag.

But for motion quality optimization, for your panning use cases, for framerate=Hz, you'll definitely need VSYNC ON framerate=Hz (or other low-lag variant that copies VSYNC ON, such as RTSS Scanline Sync using tearingless framerate=Hz VSYNC OFF). For best motion quality, you want framerate=refreshrate=stroberate, but it's not necessarily the lowest-lag strobing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2020, 08:07

Inco^ wrote:
Now this is not my first 240 Hz monitor and this one is definitely smoother (DyAc+ ON or OFF) which tells me that having 360 Hz is no guarantee I will be better served. DyAc+ remains an improvement, though. But this monitor (XL2546K) with DyAc+ OFF is already a greater improvement, compared to my previous 240 Hz monitor (Y27gq-25).
Assuming GtG is fast (GtG=0), minimum motion blur is linearly proportional to refresh cycle duration (MPRT = 1/Hz) for non-strobed. That's the blur busters law mathematics (see Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000 Hz Displays).

However, GtG is greater than 0, so the faster pixel response can still make 240Hz quality clearer/better. Assuming GtG=0, perfect 360Hz is 1.5x better than perfect 240Hz. But, due to pixel response limitations, the difference between 240Hz and 360Hz is muddied somewhat. (Not to mention that 360Hz requires minimum 2000Hz+ mouse pollrates to shine).

Inco^

Post by Inco^ » 27 Nov 2020, 02:46

Thanks for your detailed reply :)

Maybe it is that I am very sensitive to stroboscopics. More than I am to motion blur. (Or to crosstalk.)

I tried 100, 125, 144, 240 Hz in my game with DyAc+ ON. => 240 Hz is way smoother. 144 Hz and below feels like a downgrade compared to my previous 240 Hz monitor.
Besides, I have a LaCie Electron22blueIV CRT monitor running the game at 125 Hz and the CRT feels way better than XL2546K with 125 Hz DyAC+ ON.

I must be more sensitive to stroboscopics than to motion blur because to me, 240 Hz DyAc+ OFF feels better than 144 Hz DyAc+ ON.
Nevertheless, 240 Hz DyAc+ ON is an appreciable improvement compared to 240 Hz DyAc+ OFF. This is more obvious in situations such as fast crosshair movements to cover two opposite sides.
I should add that I used to play (10 years ago) on a CRT at 100 Hz (sometimes 125 Hz), and it was obvious to me that the higher the refresh rate the better the motion quality. There was quite a significant difference between 85 Hz and 100 Hz. The returns were less with 125 Hz, and I sticked to 100 Hz to allow for a higher resolution (1600x1200).

I was using the word 'motion blur' whereas it actually was a matter of stroboscopics (thanks for the link to your article).

My game has both moving-eye and stationary-gaze situations, but what comes into play for me is the motion clarity in moving-eye situations. See this video where I am checking different sides while being below the bridge (maybe not the best footage to describe my game, though).
In general, when panning the mouse to check different locations/directions in a short amount of time, I experience a sort of 'blurry' image, whereas it is not what you call motion blur. It is I believe the too low refresh rate (stroboscopic effect). And it is true that DyAc+ greatly helps in this panning situation, not regarding the stroboscopic effect, but by removing actual motion blur. But this is not enough, there is still the too small amount of refreshes per second, the stroboscopic effect, which is a very important component for motion quality in this situation.
Example: I did an experiment in my game, I executed a rotation of my character with constant speed (I just have to press a key for that). See the video (of course, the video is not how I see through my monitor). With DyAc+ ON, if I focus at a particular location (for instance, the red entrance here) I can see a blurless image whereas with DyAc+ OFF it is blurry.
=> Strobing allows to remove motion blur in that case. But there is still the stroboscopic effect that is in my eyes the main component (and limiting factor) for motion quality.
=> I believe that an increased refresh rate is beneficial not only for blur reduction (in case of a non-strobed display), but also for stroboscopics. And for me, it would mainly be for stroboscopics.
See this video with comparison between 240 Hz and 360 Hz where stroboscopics is put into evidence. That is what I am most sensitive to and with my 240 Hz monitors I can kinda "see" it while gaming.

And thanks again, your reply allowed me to realize that I can use Nvidia settings "Fast" for "Vertical sync" which I got confused in believing I couldn't use it without G-Sync. With this, the FPS doesn't drop to half its value whenever there is a performance instability and the image quality is improved.

To get better smoothness in fast motions, 360 Hz is thus appealing (and on a side note, I'm definitely interested in that Razer Avalon). Now, I understand that too slow GtG for the new 360 Hz monitors impairs the benefits of non-strobed blur reduction, but does it also as much impair the expected improvement in stroboscopics from 240 to 360 Hz?
And also I should take into account that there would be no ULMB at 360 Hz.
And I am able to run my game at 360+ FPS more than 95% of the time.