Strobe Utility 2.0 BETA Download!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
lexlazootin

Re: Strobe Utility 2.0 BETA Download!

Post by lexlazootin » 13 Mar 2018, 03:59

Very interesting, sounds very easy to sniff out all of the available commands and codes or whatever, i'm assuming you've tried going through all of the codes on other monitors? Have you found anything specific? Have you tried sniffing G-Sync?

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 13 Mar 2018, 08:52

Just started softMCCS. Such a powerful tool! I'm impressed.

LG 27GK750F-B uses Mstar scaler named "0x00FF00". My display's firmware ver is 3.6.

Do I need to run a conformance test? May it help me to find meanings of all those "Manufacturer specific" VCP's? If my LG will support strobe controls, they are somewhere under these VCP's, am I right?

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 13 Mar 2018, 09:54

Quick findings (not to lose):
LG 27GK750F-B DDC/CI manufacturer specific commands:

0xF9 = Black stabilizer
0xE4 = ??
0xE5 = ??
0xE6 = ??
0xE7 = ??
0xE8 = gamma preset
0xE9 = ??
0xEA = ??
0xEB = ??
0xEF = ??
0xF4 = ??
0xF5 = scaling mode
0xF6 = ??
0xF7 = overdrive mode
0xF8 = change settings preset
0xFD = ??
0xFE = ??
0xFF = ??

Strange that none of these ?? values showed yourself as toggle strobing. But strobing is definitely DDC/CI controllable because LGs own app OnScreenControl.exe can toggle strobing.
I also tried to toggle strobing via OSD and then refresh the VCP table (F5) and none of the "manufacturer specific" values changes.

My general goal is to discover, does LG have strobe timings controls like Benqs, or not. I kinda not expected that none of these specific VCP's work even as toggling strobe...
Last edited by k2viper on 13 Mar 2018, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2018, 10:32

lexlazootin wrote:Very interesting, sounds very easy to sniff out all of the available commands and codes or whatever, i'm assuming you've tried going through all of the codes on other monitors? Have you found anything specific? Have you tried sniffing G-Sync?
Unfortunately, not possible because GSYNC uses a kind of a DRM system.

LightBoost also uses an encrypted handshake. ToastyX cracked LightBoost in his StrobeLight utility for a few monitors back at the time, and AMD could use LightBoost. But GSYNC is quite much more locked-down than LightBoost ever was.
k2viper wrote:My general goal is to discover, does LG have strobe timings controls like Benqs, or not. I kinda not expected that none of these specific VCP's work even as toggling strobe...
It's possible that there are different mechanisms such as a magic cookie to enable it. Sometimes monitors use really weird trickery to enable/disable strobing. I doubt LG exposes strobe-length and strobe-phase adjustments but if you discover them, feel free to post here on BlurBusters Forums but I may need to move LG-related posts to the other forum.... (this is the BenQ/Zowie forum).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PanzerIV

Post by PanzerIV » 15 Mar 2018, 02:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Thanks for letting me know it works successfully (did it automatically work out of the box, or did you have to edit BlurBustersStrobeUtility.ini file?).

Another question: When you select the "Enable" checkbox, does it turn on/off strobing without needing to go through the monitor menus? Or do you have to enable strobing before you can?
Hi Chief, to answer your question YES it did recognize immediatly my (BenQ XL2730Z) without the need of editing the ini files :)

As for the other question, well... Yes & No. To be more precise, I noticed that I didn't need to manually turn on the strobing through the monitor's OSD first, as I could simply check the box and it would turn on which is perfect. However if I uncheck the box it WILL NOT disable the strobing. I need to exit the utility and re-open it so that time when I will uncheck the box, now that will disable the strobing. So pretty much it's just the Toggle that won't work so you need to restart the utility in between the shots you want to enable/disable that feature which isn't a major problem at all as it's a bit faster to re-open the app than go through the OSD with shorcuts.
Intel i5 8600K @ 5.0Ghz | EVGA GTX1080 8Gb @ 2100Mhz | MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | Corsair 2x8Gb DDR4-3200
Acer XB271HU + Shimian QH270 "1440P IPS"

nathan02

Post by nathan02 » 17 Mar 2018, 08:02

hey guys. Chief or anyone.. Ive been waiting for this blur thing to finally work on my benq xl2730z and finally the beta is now out. I really need help because as you all know when using benq xl2730z on ps4, it feels blurry when moving the camera, turning on blur reduction was also a pain before, now with this I can finally say it helps a lot..

I only need your guide guys on how to properly set this up while using my ps4... thanks much... I need guide..:_

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2018, 10:52

This is the guide: http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility

Two things of consideration for console users.
- you may have double strobe, which would create double image at 60fps and quad image at 30fps. Many newer BenQ/Zowie monitors do not let you turn this off
- you can only use Vertical Totals with PC gaming
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

afx7

Post by afx7 » 25 Mar 2018, 11:55

Really just awesome work! the 2017 version wouldnt detect for me... but now finally have something that can compete with a CRT, in price, fluidity and most importantly dimness

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2018, 12:24

Version 2.09 beta with the built-in TestUFO!
Download Version 2.09 Here
No need for a web browser to launch TestUFO Crosstalk Test anymore.

This version should now supports every single strobe-capable 120Hz+ BenQ/ZOWIE monitor ever made ever since XL2411Z.
Every. Single. One. Including XL2411P, XL2735, XL2536, XL2740 you name it.

Easter Egg Hotkeys:
- Spacebar key turns on/off TestUFO.
- F key to force manual selection of monitor (e.g. force XL2546 detection on undetectable "Generic PnP" monitors)
- Esc key resets strobe settings to last adjustment (good if your monitor accidentally gets too dim to read).

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 02 May 2018, 04:43

Excellent work, thank you very much!
Works beautifully on my 3 XL2720 monitors (one XL2720Z and two Zowie XL2720).