BENQ XL2720Z Firmware Version 1

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
BoffinUk

BENQ XL2720Z Firmware Version 1

Post by BoffinUk » 01 Apr 2018, 11:28

Hi Guys

Wondered if anyone can help. Just purchased a Benq Xl2720z from Maplin, got a good deal so cant complain to much
its on version 1 firmware the trouble is it wont connect to a PS4 or my Laptop Via Hdmi the screen stays blank, I then connected a firestick
to the same hdmi ports got a display on screen from the firestick but firestick says it will only allow 720p, cant get 1080 what I was wondering if this is a known firmware issue or do you reckon the Monitor is faulty.

If faulty it goes back before Maplins gone for good if not then its firmware upgrade time.

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BENQ XL2720Z Firmware Version 1

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2018, 02:15

HDMI 1080p 60Hz should work fine even in Version 1 firmware.

Try a different HDMI cable -- and if it doesn't work, then it is possible something is faulty ("HDMI port is malfunctioning")
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Re: BENQ XL2720Z Firmware Version 1

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Apr 2018, 15:50

There were a million bugs in that firmware. Wouldn't be surprised if this was one.
Displayport wouldn't even work higher than 60hz at 1080p until version 3 or 4 (possibly v4).

I would take your chances and flash with Linux.
have you read the Linux thread? Do the instructions still work?
I still have the firmwares. But I just use SPI flashers to force flash stuff now.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkQqWXPLNfg-gVFgbSqQ9RqLAZ2A

I *Believe* the BACKUP 2MB files can be directly flashed with linux flashrom WITHOUT MERGING the empty space to 2 MB (read the instructions in the linux thread), because they are already merged. So you can SKIP that "merge to 2 MB" line" and just flash it. (I think there were TWO lines....one for creating a 2 MB "dummy" file and one for merging the "original" raw firmware with the dummy file. So for the backup files that are already 2 MB, just skip those instructions).

Again I do not know if the linux flashrom instructions still work now. A few people got it to work recently.