Help setting up BenQ XL2411Z with PS4 Pro

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
biscojoe42

Help setting up BenQ XL2411Z with PS4 Pro

Post by biscojoe42 » 14 Apr 2018, 15:32

Hello everybody,

I am new to these forums... have been doing some research on google with my questions and I always see this forum come up but I'm really really confused as I am new to this.

Currently I use my BenQ XL2411Z for both PC gaming and console gaming. Now adays I do more console gaming to be honest. I noticed that when I would play FPS games on my PS4 Pro with my monitor... I would get a lot of jitter/ghosting/etc. I figured it has to be something to do with the settings of my monitor running HDMI on 60hz opposed to through my GTX 970 and 144hz (never really had a problem with that).

That being said...

I decided to open up the Service Menu on my monitor and set Single Strobe to On (defaulted at Off) and I also turned Blur Reduction on my OSD Panel to "On" (Default Off). I use "Standard" Picture Mode with 100 Brightness, 40 Contrast. That's about it. Instant Mode on and AMA on High.

I was suggested by someone else on another forum to get the Strobe Utility program on my PC and utilize it from there, a better approach to dial in settings.

SO what I did so far when I have been playing Fortnite... is I put my Single Strobe to On and BR to ON. I noticed a lot of darkness right away and the screen kind of hurt my eyes, almost like a nauseus feeling... and the screen just felt a bit more harsh on the eyes, hard to explain. A lot of flicker even with Blur Reduction "On" I believe... if I set Blur Reduction "Off" the screen gets brighter.

Though... with these settings On... I noticed a HUGE improvement in my aiming, hitting more shots, everything feels so much more RAW and responsive... won a Solo in Fortnite with 15 kills so I definitely think i'm on the right path with this... I'm just so confused. I would like to use the Utility program and dial this in.

My question here is:

- Do I keep Single Strobe set to "Off" on my Service Menu as well as keep Blur Reduction set to "Off" in the OSD Panel?
- Does this program enable them so leaving them "Off" is recommended? Do I enable them and then use the program?
- Is it best to keep Single Strobe On/Off? Blur Reduction On/Off? I might be asking the same questions but I'm so totally confused. I read the article/thread of the Utility Program and what it does with Persistence and Crosstalk (still a little confused about those as well)

I wanted to set this up and run tests with the TestUFO Program but if anyone could maybe point me in the right direction of what I need to set up before I run the program and dial stuff in that would be friggin awesome! :)

Like I said... I have noticed very nice responsiveness with my games since I did some research about this issue. I would love to dial this in big time.

Cheers everyone,
Joe

biscojoe42

Re: Help setting up BenQ XL2411Z with PS4 Pro

Post by biscojoe42 » 14 Apr 2018, 17:12

So I ran the utility program and I'm using 100 strobe phase and 008 strobe duty. Is this the most ideal setup for FPS games ? And games like Fortnite?

I have read that 100 strobe phase has least amount of input lag

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Apr 2018, 22:21

Yes it does, although the image will be a bit dark with 008 strobe duty. You may need to try 012 to avoid a too dark screen. There will be quite a bit of crosstalk at the bottom of the screen however.

biscojoe42

Post by biscojoe42 » 14 Apr 2018, 23:40

Falkentyne wrote:Yes it does, although the image will be a bit dark with 008 strobe duty. You may need to try 012 to avoid a too dark screen. There will be quite a bit of crosstalk at the bottom of the screen however.
Is it better to have crosstalk at the bottom or top? I'd assume bottom below your crosshair?

I feel as if using this is way better for console gaming opposed to having single strobe set to Off and it double strobing (I'm assuming that's what it was doing when I had it off along with blur reduction)? Idk if it's placebo or not but I feel more accurate in all my FPS games and Fortnite.

I'm using standard mode with brightness 100 and contrast 40 (is that better then 50)? Instant Mode is On and AMA is on High.

I realized I don't need to boot my PC up and monitor to check different settings since I can just do it through the service menu... But damn that utility is nice work especially with the UFOTest

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2018, 20:58

As a rule of thumb, the lowest strobe input lag is the area above the crosstalk band

So yes, Crosstalk ~70 through 100 would be more ideal approximate locations if your priority was lower lag instead of maximum image quality.

Prioritizing for best image quality
For maximum motion clarity, I would use the Vertical Total 1350 Tweak, which allows me to hide the crosstalk bar completely offscreen.

Prioritiizing for low strobe input lag
However, if you're targetting lowest crosshairs lag in your FPS game, then you want the crosstalk bar somewhat below the crosshairs area. Be warned, the area of maximum input lag is right below the crosstalk bar, so don't raise the crosstalk bar too high up the screen.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2018, 21:01

biscojoe42 wrote:- Do I keep Single Strobe set to "Off" on my Service Menu as well as keep Blur Reduction set to "Off" in the OSD Panel?
- Does this program enable them so leaving them "Off" is recommended? Do I enable them and then use the program?
- Is it best to keep Single Strobe On/Off? Blur Reduction On/Off? I might be asking the same questions but I'm so totally confused. I read the article/thread of the Utility Program and what it does with Persistence and Crosstalk (still a little confused about those as well)
No need to diverge the settings between Factory Menu & Strobe Utility.
- If you turn Single Strobe "On" in Strobe Utlity, it also turns it "On" in Factory Menu.
- Strobe Utility simply controls the Factory Menu directly so the Strobe Utility setting is identical to Factory Menu.
- Strobe Utility is simply a much easier way to adjust everything, having built-in TestUFO test and easy adjustment siders that allows you to see effects quickly in real time.
- Since version 2.0 the numbers in Strobe Utility exactly matches Factory Menu, for easier adjustment memorization

For XL2411Z, the only thing you manually need to turn ON/OFF is "Blur Reduction" in the main everyday common monitor menus.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!