XL2411 LightBoost will work?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Krzycho564

XL2411 LightBoost will work?

Post by Krzycho564 » 18 Apr 2018, 08:54

Hello, recently I've bought Benq XL2411 and I experience motion blur, I tried motion blur reduction on 120hz, ama off/on but it's still noticeable,
That's why I thought about Lightboost, I have seen a way to enable it but I wonder if it will work on my monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2411 LightBoost will work?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2018, 14:20

Is this the:
-- Old BenQ XL2411T (LightBoost)
-- BenQ XL2411Z (Strobe Utility)
-- ZOWIE XL2411 (Strobe Utility)

Since you said you tried Motion Blur Reduction, already, I presume you're talking about ZOWIE XL2411. That doesn't have LightBoost. BenQ Blur Reduction is better if you fix it with Strobe Utility (especially combined with the Vertical Total 1350 tweak found here). When done, this reduces a lot of the double-image effects.

Keep in mind that LightBoost is only one older brand name of a variety of motion blur reduction modes such as NVIDIA ULMB, DyAc, BenQ Blur Reduction, ASUS ELMB, etc.

Also, make sure you do all the following:
1. Run frame rates matching refresh rates
2. Disable in-game motion blur (GPU blur effects). Many games add intentional blur that you cannot remove via monitor.
3. Test with http://www.testufo.com to make sure blur reduction is working successfully
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Krzycho564

Post by Krzycho564 » 18 Apr 2018, 16:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Is this the:
-- Old BenQ XL2411T (LightBoost)
-- BenQ XL2411Z (Strobe Utility)
-- ZOWIE XL2411 (Strobe Utility)

Since you said you tried Motion Blur Reduction, already, I presume you're talking about ZOWIE XL2411. That doesn't have LightBoost. BenQ Blur Reduction is better if you fix it with Strobe Utility (especially combined with the Vertical Total 1350 tweak found here). When done, this reduces a lot of the double-image effects.

Keep in mind that LightBoost is only one older brand name of a variety of motion blur reduction modes such as NVIDIA ULMB, DyAc, BenQ Blur Reduction, ASUS ELMB, etc.

Also, make sure you do all the following:
1. Run frame rates matching refresh rates
2. Disable in-game motion blur (GPU blur effects). Many games add intentional blur that you cannot remove via monitor.
3. Test with http://www.testufo.com to make sure blur reduction is working successfully
Yes you are right it's ZOWIE XL2411,
I actually tried before the method and utility that you mentioned, I had blur because of persistence which I set too high. Right now it's fine but brightness is really low.

I can yet return the monitor, do you think if I would buy more expensive monitor like Asus Rog PG248Q will I get rid of blur with higher brightness and less noticable flicker at 60Fps? Or it's like u said before that those technologies are the same and I will have to get used to blur?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2018, 18:18

Krzycho564 wrote:Yes you are right it's ZOWIE XL2411,
I actually tried before the method and utility that you mentioned, I had blur because of persistence which I set too high. Right now it's fine but brightness is really low.
For much brighter strobing at (120Hz+) you may prefer the 240Hz monitors, they tend to have the brightest strobing available due to higher strobed refresh rates.

240Hz strobing looks brightest on the LG 27GK750F-B and BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 -- a full 300 nits during strobed mode. Also Acer XB252Q G-SYNC monitor has ULMB that reaches 300 nits during 144Hz strobed mode. Approximately 1.5 to 2.5 times brighter than the XL2411 strobing capability. However, with any of these options you will lose 60Hz single-strobe.
Krzycho564 wrote:I can yet return the monitor, do you think if I would buy more expensive monitor like Asus Rog PG248Q will I get rid of blur with higher brightness and less noticable flicker at 60Fps?
Unfortunately you will never be able to fix flicker for 60Hz single-strobe. It can be reduced somewhat (with tradeoffs) but not completely. Also, XL2411Z is one of the best 60Hz single-strobed monitors available at the moment, if 60Hz single-strobe is important to you. If 60fps content is important to you, you will have to live with (A) input lag of frame-interpolation, (B) flicker of single-strobing, (C) double-image-effect of double-strobing.

If you simultaneously (1) really hate motion blur of 60fps and (2) really hate flicker of 60fps blur reduction --
then there may be options in the future. A flickerfree way of decreasing motion blur is frame interpolation. It's dreaded because of input lag. But the new upcoming New 120Hz Samsung FreeSync TVs with ultra-low-lag frame interpolation (24ms), may allow you to convert your 60fps gaming to 120fps with acceptable recreational-gaming latency, and with less motion blur than flickerfree 60fps. It's not eSports league latency so not that good for competitive.
Krzycho564 wrote:Or it's like u said before that those technologies are the same and I will have to get used to blur
While the technique is fundamentally the same (the technique of flashing a backlight to reduce motion blur), different monitors do it differently, e.g. more brightly, or more colorfully, or more crosstalky, etc.

It's simply all monitors are LCD based, but each LCD can do certain things better than others. The basics may be the same but the little details may be different. Same for motion blur reduction technologies.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Krzycho564

Post by Krzycho564 » 19 Apr 2018, 10:48

Thanks, for your help.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2018, 13:42

You're welcome!