**FIXED** - firmware bug XL2720Z black-out w/large VT

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
OneEyedLeftist

Post by OneEyedLeftist » 09 Jun 2018, 18:14

I had not updated Blur Busters in a long while and had 1.5.0.0... After Windows 10 last patch it wasn't functioning. So I dowloaded 2.0.9, installed that, and the moment I touched the Crosstalk Area slider the screen went so dim it almost isn't showing anything, and I can't even see enough to do anything. I turn strobing off on the monitor, and it displays fine (of course without the strobe function), but if I turn strobing back on, I can't see. Also putting the sliders to where they were before and turning strobing on does nothing.

I thought it broke the strobing somehow, but if I switch to any other Hz setting, it works fine. It just permanently borked 85Hz so I can't use it with strobing on anymore.

How do I fix this?

***FIXED***
Keeping this here in case somebody else encounters the issue.

I deleted my 85Hz Custom Resolution in nVidia Control Panel, recreated 85Hz with default settings, and BlurBusters 1.5.0.0 works again.. After using the slider in the Default 85Hz Custom Resolution, I was able to recreate my old 85Hz profile.

What fixed the darkness issue was recreating 85Hz Custom with default, changing to it, and using the utility while Strobe was active.. If you just recreate the 85Hz with 1350 vertical pixels it'll still be bugged. Using the default profile clears it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jun 2018, 00:32

OneEyedLeftist wrote:So I dowloaded 2.0.9, installed that, and the moment I touched the Crosstalk Area slider the screen went so dim it almost isn't showing anything, and I can't even see enough to do anything.
Hit the Escape key to revert the slider to previous setting if you black out by accident.

This is a firmware bug that only occurs on older BenQ ZOWIE monitors when:

1. You're using a Vertical Total trick
and
2a. You use the factory menu and increase to a large strobe phase value
-or-
2b. You use Strobe Utility 2.0.9 and increase to a large crosstalk value

The reason it occurs in 2.0.9 is that the range is unlocked to full Factory Menu Range (numbers in 2.0.9 matches Factory Menu) so this adjustment ranges extends into the buggy range (when a VT is used). Strobe Utility 1.6 and older had a more limited adjustment range than Factory Menu, so that's why you don't get it with older versions.

Just hit the Escape key or Alt+F4 key, if this ever happens again next time. It automatically reverts to last saved settings, and screen comes back.

It's a monitor firmware bug and not the Strobe Utility's fault. That said, the theory is you may have clicked on the high end of the range, and it slid all the way to near the top -- the blackout region unexpectedly. Closing Strobe Utility via keyboard instead of mouse (Esc or Alt+F4) will automatically revert to previous settings, so you have another chance to grab the slider and adjust below the blackout region.

Ultimately, it is a bug that also occurs with the monitor's factory menu.

One thing the next version may do is simply warn users (and remind them about Esc key) with a startup popup that gets displayed only if large-VT is currently being used. The extra-big-range Strobe adjustment is a new feature, but the range now simply matches the Factory Menu adjustment range
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!