MSTAR ISP rent/buy/sell/trade [upgrade BENQ to V2 firmware]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
GitDat

Re: MSTAR ISP rent/buy/sell/trade [upgrade BENQ to V2 firmwa

Post by GitDat » 24 Mar 2014, 08:43

Godimas wrote:

Mind if I use this little bit of magic once you are done with it Gitdat?
That's all up to LogicElite :) He's the key master hehe
Cougar Conquer 2 | MSI Meg Z390 Godlike | 9900K | NZXT Kraken X72 | 32GB TridentZ RGB 3600MHz | RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD RAID-0 | Corsair AX860 | 3DMark Port Royal - 14204 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Triple 32" Samsung CHG70 | Samsung CHG90 Super-Ultrawide Auxiliary

LogicElite

Post by LogicElite » 24 Mar 2014, 09:04

No problem Godimas, Are you in US ?

@GitDat : The Unit has been sent, I'll provide you the tracking number soon by PM.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2014, 13:11

GitDat wrote:Mind if I use this little bit of magic once you are done with it Gitdat?
GitDat, when you do the upgrade, let me know if you think the Firmware Upgrade instructions need to be improved, based on your upgrade experiences. The ISP that LogicElite elite used, is slightly different from the one that I am using.

But so far, all four differently-designed ISP's have all worked (including the DIY version), especially if upgraded while the monitor is in Standby mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 28 Mar 2014, 18:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
GitDat wrote:Mind if I use this little bit of magic once you are done with it Gitdat?
GitDat, when you do the upgrade, let me know if you think the Firmware Upgrade instructions need to be improved, based on your upgrade experiences. The ISP that LogicElite elite used, is slightly different from the one that I am using.

But so far, all four differently-designed ISP's have all worked (including the DIY version), especially if upgraded while the monitor is in Standby mode.
Ok, I'm in the middle of doing the upgrades on all 3 monitors now. Everything is great except for the instructions on identifying buttons :) I've got a power button and 5 other buttons. I'm not sure which button is the "Enter" button other than the one on extra appendage unit with the scroll wheel.

I'm stuck on trying to turn the Burn In menu Off:

15. If your upgrade went successfully, your monitor will begin flashing solid colors in a burn-in test. To turn this off, turn off this mode by press the ENTER button and then RIGHT button on your Z-Series monitor to turn off burn-in mode.

What is the RIGHT button?! :) hehe
Cougar Conquer 2 | MSI Meg Z390 Godlike | 9900K | NZXT Kraken X72 | 32GB TridentZ RGB 3600MHz | RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD RAID-0 | Corsair AX860 | 3DMark Port Royal - 14204 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Triple 32" Samsung CHG70 | Samsung CHG90 Super-Ultrawide Auxiliary

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 28 Mar 2014, 19:03

Can't figure it out! HELP! I know it's going to be something stupid easy too :-) I've tried hitting all of the buttons and nothing works, lol

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Mar 2014, 20:08

GitDat wrote:What is the RIGHT button?! :) hehe
When you display the BENQ menu, and it labels the button for right-hand direction movement.
That button didnt work?

When you figure it out, please tell me how I should reword the instructions. I know my instructions are 90 percent good with some minor refinements needed, but there are so many Z series models, that it is hard to keep track of what to do on each model, to close the burn in menu.

Did the upgrade work while you were displaying stuff on the monitors, or only while the monitors were in standby mode? I want to doublecheck which works more reliably.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 28 Mar 2014, 20:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
GitDat wrote:What is the RIGHT button?! :) hehe
When you display the BENQ menu, and it labels the button for right-hand direction movement.
That button didnt work?

When you figure it out, please tell me how I should reword the instructions. I know my instructions are 90 percent good with some minor refinements needed, but there are so many Z series models, that it is hard to keep track of what to do on each model, to close the burn in menu.

Did the upgrade work while you were displaying stuff on the monitors, or only while the monitors were in standby mode? I want to doublecheck which works more reliably.
I can't get any menu at all no matter what button I press. The only time I get something is if I press the scroll wheel button and then it gives me the input selection menu (DVI, HDMI, etc.)

I'm installing the firmware without the monitors plugged into the PC. Only 1 of the 3 monitors came back with the burn-in mode upon completion of the update. I still can't figure out how to get into the service menu :( Maybe it's just me, lol

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 28 Mar 2014, 20:56

I've got one monitor that just has the power button blinking on and off but I can't get it to do anything :oops:

The 2nd monitor just has a solid power light and won't do anything. *edit: no light, won't power on but I can reflash it all day long with PASS.

One monitor updated successfully :)

Not sure what to do with the 2 jacked ones. I've tried reflashing them but same deal.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2014, 11:04

Try this:
1. Unplug your monitor power for 10 seconds.
2. Plug in your monitor power with nothing connected (standby mode)
3. Plug in the VGA cable and flash the monitor while the monitor is in standby mode.

For the non-working power buttons, move all objects away from the power button, including adjacent monitors, and then try pressing the button. don't let bezels touch each other. Don't have any objects nearby when you plug in your monitor. If your setup VESA mounts the monitors, try tilting the monitor with the power button in front of the bezel of adjacent monitor, so there's no chance of peripheral reflection. The infrared sensors in the buttons are a bit funky about that even with reflections in a large 180 degree sphere around the buttons, so may become nonresponsive if there are nearby objects reflecting infrared light back into the buttons, including adjacent monitors touching the bezel that the buttons are along. They may auto-recalibrate when the monitor is plugged back in, so when plugging back in the monitor, make sure nothing is nearby the buttons (even adjacent monitors) including during flashing. I got my power button in a nonworking state because of this, even with V1, and it was unrelated to the flashing, but the moving-about of the monitors, simply caused objects to sometimes get nearby, and cause strange behavior with the power buttons.

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 29 Mar 2014, 19:15

The Chief is working with me on getting my other 2 monitors working. Kudos to the Chief for ALL of his efforts! :D

For my working monitor on revision 2... WOW! Even 60Hz with strobing is extremely playable! This will come in handy for those more graphically demanding single player games so I can max out the settings on the triple monitors and enjoy all of the eye candy and still have smooth frame rates with the strobing :mrgreen: Brightness is awesome now!