Optimal settings XL2546 in PUBG when fps is 60-150

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
dl666

Optimal settings XL2546 in PUBG when fps is 60-150

Post by dl666 » 15 Aug 2018, 10:19

Hi!

I´ve just bought a XL2546 playing on a i7 2600k, gf 1080ti and have fps that is fluctuating a lot. What are the optimal settings that I should use according to you?
I have tryed understand strobe utility and Cru (which settings are prefered?) and tryed all the settings dyac/ama but still feels like its not smooth when my fps drops.
What are your suggestions ? Feels like my old Samsung 120hz felt smoother. Unsure if its ghosting or crosstalk that is the problem?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Optimal settings XL2546 in PUBG when fps is 60-150

Post by RealNC » 16 Aug 2018, 03:11

That's got nothing to do with the monitor. When you use blur reduction, you need your FPS to match your refresh rate. If you use 120Hz BR, you need 120FPS. There's nothing you can do on the monitor's side to make lower FPS not stutter on 120Hz BR.

The strobe utility and cru and there to tweak settings that affect crosstalk and input lag. They have nothing to do with low FPS looking stuttery.

Your only option here seems to be a platform upgrade. The 2600K when overclocked (4.2GHz minimum) is still good for the majority of games, but not all of them. Some games are more sensitive to RAM bandwidth, and with those games you will see FPS drops on a DDR3 platform compared to DDR4. An SSD might also help if you get stutters/micro-freezes when new assets are streamed from disk.

I own a 2500K OCed to 4.2GHz myself, and PUBG here was running very poorly (so poor, I refunded the game.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

dl666

Post by dl666 » 16 Aug 2018, 05:18

Thanks for the answer! Yea i'm gonna upgrade later this year.
Do you have the parameters for the large vertical total in cru for the xl2546 if I wanna try out 182hz with lower crosstalk?
Also, if i'm running 182hz should i use Dyac? Ama? And do I need to mix with the Area Intensity settings, if so, what could you recommend?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Aug 2018, 05:41

I'm not using this monitor, so I don't know the details. Hopefully someone knows the answers.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Aug 2018, 21:31

The 182 Hz settings are found at http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk --

However, you can actually use any refresh rate as long as you follow Appendix A of that page.

Once VT's are maxed-out (max dotclock / pixel clock) -- then strobe crosstalk progressively improves everytime you slightly lower your refresh rate. The 182 Hz was simply picked as a sweet spot tradeoff for refreshrate versus framerate.

For lower-framerate games, you can also create 100Hz settings.

Also, some people do just play at maximum refresh rate (240Hz strobed) and tolerate the strobe crosstalk (degrading strobe quality in order to get the lowest strobe lag).

In this sense, the BenQ/Zowie monitors are remarkably flexible in letting you choose your own strobe crosstalk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

dl666

Post by dl666 » 17 Aug 2018, 07:18

Thanks Chief!

So if i wanted to max out VT using 240hz what would the settings then be?
Also, should I be using V-sync? Which settings on Ama and Dyac on Premium?
Amazing webpage but I have trouble understanding everything :(

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Aug 2018, 07:27

dl666 wrote:So if i wanted to max out VT using 240hz what would the settings then be?
I would assume VT is already maxed out at 240Hz. VT is lower at lower refresh rates, unless you raise it back up to be the same as 240Hz.

The1Mach1ne

Post by The1Mach1ne » 16 Nov 2018, 09:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The 182 Hz settings are found at http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk --

However, you can actually use any refresh rate as long as you follow Appendix A of that page.

Once VT's are maxed-out (max dotclock / pixel clock) -- then strobe crosstalk progressively improves everytime you slightly lower your refresh rate. The 182 Hz was simply picked as a sweet spot tradeoff for refreshrate versus framerate.

For lower-framerate games, you can also create 100Hz settings.

Also, some people do just play at maximum refresh rate (240Hz strobed) and tolerate the strobe crosstalk (degrading strobe quality in order to get the lowest strobe lag).

In this sense, the BenQ/Zowie monitors are remarkably flexible in letting you choose your own strobe crosstalk.

So if someone wanted the Best advantage (lowest lag) in this situation would it be better to use the 182 hz configuration with ~ 120fps or to use a 120hz with 120fps?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Nov 2018, 22:16

dl666 wrote:Thanks Chief!

So if i wanted to max out VT using 240hz what would the settings then be?
Also, should I be using V-sync? Which settings on Ama and Dyac on Premium?
Amazing webpage but I have trouble understanding everything :(
Unfortunately, VT's are reduced at higher Hz.

Another way to explain the purpose of large VT's is this:

The name of the VT game is to hide LCD GtG in the blanking interval between refresh cycles, so that when the strobe backlight flashes, the fewest LCD pixels are caught visible while still in GtG transition. This can be seen in the old highspeed video of LightBoost. BenQ XL2720Z monitors are capable of VT1502 at 1080p, which produces a 1080 vertical resolution + 422 pixel blanking interval. (1080 plus 422 = 1502). That means the monitor is able to pause for (blanking)/(VT) of a refresh cycle before beginning to refresh a new refresh cycle. At VT1502, the monitor spends 1080/1502ths (~6.0ms) of a 120Hz refresh cycle actively refreshing the LCD pixels, one row at a time, initiating their GtG transitions. Then the monitor pauses for 422/1502ths (~2.3ms) of a refresh cycle between refresh cycles. 1/120sec is 8.3ms for 1502 scanlines which means 422:1502 takes 2.3ms and 1080:1502 takes 6ms.

Unfortunately, large vertical totals requires extremely high dotclock / bandwidth if done on the GPU side. This delivers individual refresh cycles faster, to allow it to be possible to be a pause between refresh cycles large enough to let LCD pixel response finish in total darkness between strobe flashes -- the art of cramming LCD GtG into VBI. That reduces strobe crosstalk (incomplete GtG's that become visible in an unwanted way).

If you want to maximize strobe quality and minimize crosstalk; you need to:
1. Use a Hz lower than the max
2. On BenQ/Zowie, use large vertical totals
3. Have consistent framerates; framerate = refreshrate = stroberate

Please see HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively which also applies to DyAc too.

In very specific situations, you may also want to experiment with turning DyAc off, because DyAc doesn't look too good with highly fluctuating rates that are well below Hz.

DyAc comfort level scale is as follows:

[most comfortable]
1. DyAc at framerate perfectly matching refreshrate [very nice]
2. DyAc at stable framerates always above refreshrate
3. DyAc at fluctuating framerates always above refreshrate
4. DyAc at stable framerates below refreshrate
5. DyAc at fluctuating framerates below refreshrate [very harsh]
[least comfortable]

Often, turning off DyAc is preferable to situation [4]
Situation [2] or [3] is easy with VSYNC OFF in framecapped CS:GO which often runs at ~300fps.
Situation [4] or [5] is potentially fixable by using a lower Hz for DyAc
Situation [1] is prettier but laggier due to requirement for VSYNC ON to be easy. If your priority is eye comfort instead of lag -- and you want to get TestUFO-smooth with DyAc, you need VSYNC ON combined with lower Hz (e.g. 120Hz) combined with large VT trick. Unfortunately, VSYNC ON is very laggy for competitive gameplay, so that's where low-lag VSYNC ON tricks come into play. But it's wonderful if you want eye-pleasing strobe fluidity, which is perfectly fine for solo gameplay or less lag-critical gameplay.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!