BenQ XL2411P Blur Reduction HELP

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Alex Csy

BenQ XL2411P Blur Reduction HELP

Post by Alex Csy » 25 Sep 2018, 06:50

Hey guys. Recently I acquired a brand new BenQ XL2411P gaming monitor with Blur Reduction feature in it. I'm connecting my laptop (60Hz) with the monitor via HDMI. No DVI-DL port available on my laptop (Lenovo Y50-70). Obviously no way to use my NVIDIA GPU to connect to the monitor. Have to bear with Intel HD Graphics.

With Blur Reduction ON, there is a slight flickering that can be seen (not with naked eyes, but with phone's camera). No flickering occurred when the Blur Reduction is OFF. Again, I'm running at 60Hz. So, I went on to discover this Blur Busters utility. It solves certain game problem CS:GO whereby I have a clearer motion now. But whenever I quit my game and return to my desktop, heavy flickering occur. I decided not to use the utility for now unless someone can shed some light for a solution.

Is flickering normal with Blur Reduction ON at 60Hz ??? Or do I need to return back the monitor and get a new one instead? Please advise. Thank you.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: BenQ XL2411P Blur Reduction HELP

Post by RealNC » 25 Sep 2018, 07:02

Blur reduction uses flicker to get rid of motion blur. Flicker is not only normal, it's expected, especially at 60Hz. The higher the refresh rate, the less noticeable the flicker gets.

This is a video demonstrating 30Hz flicker vs 15Hz flicker. 30Hz on the left, 15Hz on the right. You will notice that 15Hz flicker is much more severe than 30Hz. Make sure you view the 60FPS version of the video, so make sure you select 1080p@60 or 720p@60.

Severe flicker warning. Don't view if you are prone to seizures.

Also, do not let this video play for more than a couple seconds. It can get pixels on your monitor stuck for several hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8adrIxAtkLU

(Note that the video falsely claims this is 60Hz vs 30Hz flicker, which isn't true, since at 60FPS, you can only emulate 30Hz flicker.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Alex Csy

Post by Alex Csy » 25 Sep 2018, 07:11

RealNC wrote:Blur reduction uses flicker to get rid of motion blur. Blur is not only normal, it's expected, especially at 60Hz. The higher the refresh rate, the less noticeable the flicker gets.

This is a video demonstrating 30Hz flicker vs 15Hz flicker. 30Hz on the left, 15Hz on the right. You will notice that 15Hz flicker is much more severe than 30Hz. Make sure you view the 60FPS version of the video, so make sure you select 1080p@60 or 720p@60.

(Severe flicker warning. Don't view if you are prone to seizures.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8adrIxAtkLU

(Note that the video falsely claims this is 60Hz vs 30Hz flicker, which isn't true, since at 60FPS, you can only emulate 30Hz flicker.)
So I suppose there is no way to use the Strobe Utility (with Blur Reduction ON), and at the same time enjoying flicker-free screen? (Running at 60Hz, monitor 1080p@60)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Sep 2018, 07:16

Alex Csy wrote:So I suppose there is no way to use the Strobe Utility (with Blur Reduction ON), and at the same time enjoying flicker-free screen? (Running at 60Hz, monitor 1080p@60)
No. As I said, blur reduction "injects" flicker on purpose. Flicker has the side effect of reducing motion blur.

In other words, flicker-free and motion blur reduction are mutually exclusive. If you want one of these two, you lose the other.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Alex Csy

Post by Alex Csy » 25 Sep 2018, 07:28

RealNC wrote:
Alex Csy wrote:So I suppose there is no way to use the Strobe Utility (with Blur Reduction ON), and at the same time enjoying flicker-free screen? (Running at 60Hz, monitor 1080p@60)
No. As I said, blur reduction "injects" flicker on purpose. Flicker has the side effect of reducing motion blur.

In other words, flicker-free and motion blur reduction are mutually exclusive. If you want one of these two, you lose the other.
Gotcha. Any idea how to run the monitor at 120Hz/144Hz (>60Hz)??? I suppose there is some sort of cable or interface that I could use to connect to the monitor instead of HDMI? That should reduce the flicker with Blur Reduction ON.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Sep 2018, 08:27

I'm not sure. From a quick search, it seems this laptop only has HDMI 1.4a, which doesn't support high refresh rates at 1080p. So even if you got an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, you'd probably still only get 60Hz.

But again, I'm not sure.