XL2720z V2 + BB Strobe Utility = Greatest Gaming Monitor!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2720z V2 + BB Strobe Utility = Greatest Gaming Monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2014, 09:52

c0re wrote:What serial number/mask I should look for to get V2 preinstalled on XL2720Z?
I want to order a monitor, but do not want play with firmware updates, so order a v2 preinstalled is best.
They are available here:
BENQ Z-Series with Version 2 Firmware Included
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Acid

Post by Acid » 04 May 2014, 09:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
c0re wrote:What serial number/mask I should look for to get V2 preinstalled on XL2720Z?
I want to order a monitor, but do not want play with firmware updates, so order a v2 preinstalled is best.
They are available here:
BENQ Z-Series with Version 2 Firmware Included
Hi,

I want to order a v2 but i am in europe, i was going to email some smaller stores in my country(portugal) and ask them if they could sell me a v2 in case they had one available, i was also going to try and mail amazon(probably wouldn't work with them, would just have to roll the dice and hope i get a v2).

So can you tell me if it's possible to check trough serialno and how to do it?I could ask them to turn it on and check normally, but i think it's highly unlikely they would cooperate.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 May 2014, 06:20

Not sure if anyone cares, but there's a second service menu.

(And hell, there may be a third, for all I know).

the normal service menu (where you can adjust strobe duty, strobe phase, hdmi/dvi hpd (whatever this means, I don't know), and autopower (whatever this means), is, with the power button off, holding down menu and pressing power on, then releasing menu then the leds flash on for the first time (before the 2nd flash).

There's another service menu where you hold down (Edit) the THIRD button only, while pressing the power button on, then releasing the button after you get the led flash. You''ll know you did it right because you won't get any input source notification on the screen. Then the "exit" (last) button enters that service menu, with different options (instead of the menu button entering the previous service menu), and the enter button brings up an input selection list. the other service menu has gamma and color adjustment gains, autocolor and "RS 232" (what?) and burnin mode on/off. No overdrive gain options though (the VG248QE had an OD gain that was linked but separate from tracefree OSD setting).

If anyone finds a third service menu (maybe with some overdrive settings), like, maybe by holding down buttons 1 and 2 while powering on? feel free to share it.
Last edited by Falkentyne on 06 May 2014, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 06 May 2014, 09:05

Falkentyne wrote:the other service menu has gamma and color adjustment gains, autocolor and "RS 232" (what?) and burnin mode on/off.
I remember that menu. I used it to disable the burn in mode, in order to use the strobe utility.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 May 2014, 14:35

Acid wrote:I want to order a v2 but i am in europe, i was going to email some smaller stores in my country(portugal) and ask them if they could sell me a v2 in case they had one available, i was also going to try and mail amazon(probably wouldn't work with them, would just have to roll the dice and hope i get a v2).
BENQ's Europe website is now selling V2 firmware.

Alternatively, Amazon USA is now consistently V2 firmware:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=845
It is more expensive for those outside USA to order from Amazon USA, but this is another route to take.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

patrickisfrench

Post by patrickisfrench » 16 May 2014, 10:25

is it generally better to connect this monitor via displayport if my video card has it over dvi-dl?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2014, 13:06

patrickisfrench wrote:is it generally better to connect this monitor via displayport if my video card has it over dvi-dl?
For this model, DL-DVI and DP works equally well.

However, occasionally (rarely), sometimes an issue crops up (card issue, cable issue) that gets fixed by switching cable tech. But usually, it will not be a concern, and both works identically well from a gaming experience basis.

SUOrange55

Post by SUOrange55 » 21 May 2014, 21:24

What persistence / crosstalk settings are you guys using in CS:GO with VT1350 trick?

Also, separate question - when Blur Reduction is turned on, does the specific Blur Reduction AMA setting immediately kick in, or do I need to disable AMA first before entering into Blur Reduction?

Thanks in advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2014, 21:52

SUOrange55 wrote:What persistence / crosstalk settings are you guys using in CS:GO with VT1350 trick?
Crosstalk = Usually very close to 0
Persistnece = Personal preference.

You want a bright picture to play better competitively, but you want lower settings for minimum motion blur. So adjust for a tradeoff where you play the best compromise.
SUOrange55 wrote:Also, separate question - when Blur Reduction is turned on, does the specific Blur Reduction AMA setting immediately kick in, or do I need to disable AMA first before entering into Blur Reduction?
Most of us just leave AMA setting alone after turning on Blur Reduction. However, if you touched the setting, cycle the Blur Reduction (turn Off/On the Blur Reduction) to reset the Blur Reduction specific AMA settings.

SUOrange55

Post by SUOrange55 » 21 May 2014, 22:48

Thanks. Loving the monitor.

Anything I can do to reduce some of the color saturation to make things more "bland/muted"?