Benq 2411Z Brightness Glitch at a >60Hz refresh rate

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Gundamoiseau

Benq 2411Z Brightness Glitch at a >60Hz refresh rate

Post by Gundamoiseau » 13 Dec 2018, 20:48

Hello, just as the subject says my Benq XL2411Z, when set to a refresh rate higher than 60hz, seems to have a brightness stuttering problem: the screen flashes alternatively from lighter to darker tone. This is only seeable while using a low brightness settings and is as painful for my eyes as (to crudely say it) a needle for my urethra.

I have two screens (the 2nd one being a cheaper (60Hz only) one used only to handle thing while playing). The BenQ XL2411Z is wired via a DVI Dual Link (Considered on the resolution change tab of the Nvidia panel as a DVI only, not sure if it is important)

My specs are the following :
- GeForce GTX 1070
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
- 16GB RAM
- Tell me if i forgot something (specswise or not); not used (as you may have seen) to make such demands

Thank you for reading and even more for those who'll be able to help.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Benq 2411Z Brightness Glitch at a >60Hz refresh rate

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Dec 2018, 22:34

Some older monitors sometimes couldn't keep the monitor voltage stable at dimmer settings -- very rare now. Other times, it's just the monitor getting old (if it started happening recently)

If your monitor brightness is erratically flickering (like a candle) only during low brightness settings, here are workarounds:

(A) Try a higher brightness setting and then instead using NVIDIA Control Panel to digitally reduce brightness (increase backlight backlight and then compensate by reducing graphics brightness, for roughly equal brightness). The contrast ratio may degrade a bit but may solve your issue.

(B) Or putting a dark film (Neutral Density film / cellophane) on the screen and then increasing screen brightness a bit. Basically a dark piece of translucent plastic to dim your brightened screen.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Gundamoiseau

Post by Gundamoiseau » 14 Dec 2018, 02:21

That would be a fast response time. Thank you for that but (mostly because i really hope it isn't hardware related ...) i'll be a needle in the urethra myself (sorry for that) and ask/add some more details :
- I am actually using the monitor inner options (which, if i'm not mistaken is akin to the backlight ?) to lower the brightness of the screen.
- Is, roughly, one year and a half considered old for a this kind of monitor ?
- The flickering isn't constant (it didn't happen since, of course, i started this topic), worsens the higher the refresh rate is (Only happened once at 100Hz and isn't as painful in 120 as in 144Hz) and oftenly starts when a brusque contrast (between clear and dark color) is on the screen (when using vlc to watch a movie (black letterbox limits) or listening to a audio file that will display a light colored album cover.
- And lastly it can be tampered with by resetting the screen "innate" options or switching back and forth the refresh rate. (Or even by turning off the monitor for some time)

Sorry again for clarifying all that only now but since i won't know the answers/or if it is relevant or not by keeping it to myself, i'd rather ask. Thank you for the previous solution, i'll be sure to try them out when it'll come back.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Dec 2018, 02:40

Sounds like a defective monitor to me. If it still has warranty, you could RMA it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Gundamoiseau

Post by Gundamoiseau » 15 Dec 2018, 01:16

I, sadly, don't think it still does (after more than a year) but hey it, miraculously, seems to be in a lull for now (it must be alive and fearing of getting replaced or something :roll:)

I guess i'll stay positive and think it is just a bad low voltage managing problem until i find a new job, if anybody has a foolproof diagnosis of/procedure to know what the problem might be, i am still al hears and even more so if it can be definitively fixed (which i am not able to hope for too strongly).

Thank you for the opinions until now.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Dec 2018, 02:57

Hm. Displays usually come with a 2 year warranty here. And the warranty is actually offered by the manufacturer, not the store. Check your receipt.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Gundamoiseau

Post by Gundamoiseau » 16 Dec 2018, 06:46

Well thank you, because i actually have a 3 years warranty :lol:.
But, as i said, after being an eventual pain for my eyes for more than a week the flickering stopped (for now)... If it comes back within a year or so it'll be a one way trip with a return ticket to the manufacturer.

I suppose it can be a closed case until new evidences are found, thank you again!

Edit : Well it came back!