CRT-Clarity 60Hz now here! "LightBoost" for 60fps & consoles

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

CRT-Clarity 60Hz now here! "LightBoost" for 60fps & consoles

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2014, 13:56

Although I am part of the PC Master Race, here's something VERY interesting for console peasants:
CRT motion clarity (zero motion blur) for console gamers!
Fully sharp motion clarity, with zero motion blur, and the LightBoost effect at 60Hz.

I just tested BENQ XL2720Z with Blur Busters Strobe Utility, and successfully got the "CRT effect" on the gaming consoles:

www.blurbusters.com/lightboost-for-60hz-gaming-consoles/

1. Need BENQ Z-Series monitor, Version 2 (buy or upgrade)
2. Display 1920x1080 60Hz desktop.
3. Run Blur Busters Strobe Utility
4. Enable "Override" in and adjust the settings (Persistence & Crosstalk) until motion tests are clear.
5. Now the BENQ Z-Series is configured for 60Hz strobing!
6. You can now move the Z-Series to a different room & hook it up to a HDTV box or console -- and get CRT-clarity 60fps @ 60Hz!

CAUTION: It will flicker like a 60Hz CRT. Not good if you have always hated 60Hz CRT. Good if you love the zero-motion-blur effect, though. If you have not used a CRT at 60Hz in a long time, spend only a few minutes at a time, take frequent breaks. Until your eyes get used to it, and even so, still take frequent breaks. Like you did with a real 60Hz CRT. Adjust ambient lighting & persistence to help reduce flicker issue. You can enable/disable the strobing on the fly via the BENQ menus (turn BENQ Blur Reduction ON/OFF)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Blurless

Re: CRT-Clarity 60Hz now here! "LightBoost" for 60fps & cons

Post by Blurless » 27 Mar 2014, 15:21

Man this is exciting :D If it wasn't for the firmware hickup this thing would already be on my desk.

Amalion

Post by Amalion » 28 Mar 2014, 08:08

Hey Chief, the floating talking Dreamcast I occasionally hallucinate wants to know if this works with the VGA input too? :)

(Being an ancient UK resident, I'm part of the *50hz* CRT master race. My body is ready.)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Mar 2014, 08:42

Amalion wrote:Hey Chief, the floating talking Dreamcast I occasionally hallucinate wants to know if this works with the VGA input too? :)
BENQ Blur Reduction works on all inputs, VGA, HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort.
The 60Hz strobe enabling capability of Strobe Utility works on all inputs.

Once the monitor is preconfigured with Strobe Utility, the monitor can be unplugged and moved to a different room, and it will keep working.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Amalion

Post by Amalion » 28 Mar 2014, 14:18

The news keeps getting better! Thank you. I'll be getting one of these as soon as there's a V2-guaranteed UK source.

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 28 Mar 2014, 14:38

So tempted to get the BENQ XL2720Z shipped from the US....

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Mar 2014, 20:03

Remember to buy 60fps console games. They will be beautifully crystal CRT clear.

The 30fps games get the same kind of double image motion effect you get on 60hz CRT.

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 28 Mar 2014, 21:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Remember to buy 60fps console games. They will be beautifully crystal CRT clear.

The 30fps games get the same kind of double image motion effect you get on 60hz CRT.
60 fps console games are rare. If the double image motion effect for 30 fps is the same you found in old days of console gaming on CRT(PSone games Metal Gear Solid!), I can live with that, since its still better than motion blurring.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 30 Mar 2014, 13:19

really good news, thanks chef and all the people for all the contribution on this path to the true crt succesor,

some questions i have are: how is the image clarity if you dont play at native resolution on those benq monitors?
for example for consoles or console games that do not support 1080p, games that dont scale to 1080p or are too demanding to play at 1080p?.

i play some games on my crt in which i notice input lag, at limited 58fps / 58hz which improves it noticeably and prevents stuttering due to refresh / fps mismatch. do you know how would those benq monitors behave using same settings?.

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 30 Mar 2014, 14:02

Not to dampen spirits but LCDs (fixed pixel) will never be able to match CRT scaling, ( I hope i come to regret these words someday :) )