Terrible Blurring on XL2546 and eye strain

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Nultsy

Terrible Blurring on XL2546 and eye strain

Post by Nultsy » 22 Feb 2019, 03:26

So i have switched over from an acer gn246hl(144hz) to a Xl2546 Benq, monitor has been straining my eyes and fast movements appear very blurry, which i believe is whats causing the eye strain. Im considering returning this monitor and am not super knowledgeble about monitors have been reading all day to solve this and have still not found a solution. i ran just a standard motion test here https://www.testufo.com/photo with dyac on off, different AMA settings, and the acer 144 hz is so much clearer, while then BenQ is just a blurry mess at 240 hz with any settings. The games im playing are fortnite and apex legends fortnite i get over 250 frames at all times easily, and apex im pulling between 175-280 on uncapped. Im looking to be pulling the maximum potential at all times so not looking to do any 182hz reductions or 144 vsync as i play competive. If such thing is not possible just gonna tryout a diff 240 hz with gsync. So far just really dissapointed with this monitor, thanks for any help im running a GTX1080Ti 11GB, and a 8086k for my processor

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Terrible Blurring on XL2546 and eye strain

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Feb 2019, 15:40

Nultsy wrote:So i have switched over from an acer gn246hl(144hz) to a Xl2546 Benq, monitor has been straining my eyes and fast movements appear very blurry, which i believe is whats causing the eye strain. Im considering returning this monitor and am not super knowledgeble about monitors have been reading all day to solve this and have still not found a solution. i ran just a standard motion test here https://www.testufo.com/photo with dyac on off, different AMA settings, and the acer 144 hz is so much clearer, while then BenQ is just a blurry mess at 240 hz with any settings. The games im playing are fortnite and apex legends fortnite i get over 250 frames at all times easily, and apex im pulling between 175-280 on uncapped. Im looking to be pulling the maximum potential at all times so not looking to do any 182hz reductions or 144 vsync as i play competive. If such thing is not possible just gonna tryout a diff 240 hz with gsync. So far just really dissapointed with this monitor, thanks for any help im running a GTX1080Ti 11GB, and a 8086k for my processor
The use of 144Hz+Large Vertical Totals (for the lag-lowering Quick Frame Transport effect) makes the XL2546 a superior 144Hz monitor to many other 144Hz monitors.

Most reviewers do not benchmark the XL2546 as simply being a 144Hz monitor (pretending it doesn't have 240Hz) but the truth is that it makes a brilliantly low-lag 144Hz monitor (that is lower lag than many other models of 144Hz monitors) when you do 144Hz+large VTs (to take advantage of 1/240sec frame delivery, to allow the monitor to synchronously scan-out a 144Hz refresh cycle in a mere 1/240sec).

If you are going to downgrade to a 144Hz monitors, you should at least consider whether or not "Can the XL2546 double as a superior 144Hz monitor?" question too.

There is 144Hz lag only if you don't do the large vertical totals tweak, especially if your eyestrain disappears in this particular situaiton -- so the above might be moot to you. I'm just saying that there is an additional angle to consider.

Now, this might not be useful information to you because of the eyestrain factor you're discovering. Did you ever use LightBoost on your GN246HL, or did you live with the bad ghosting that your GN246HL had? Was your GN246HL brighter or dimmer? (Did you adjust XL2546 to be similar?) Was the picture warmer/colder colored -- since sometimes bluish-colored whites is sometimes what is causing the eyestrain (or contributing it too).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Nultsy

Post by Nultsy » 27 Feb 2019, 06:16

So I ended up buying another monitor to just do some comparison still have the Benq 240 hz and also picked up the Asus ROG PG528q 240 hz sync( theres a 30 day return so figured I might as well test) with this monitor I am not having any eye strain so I assume to some degree it was the strobing of the BenQ. But I still feel that I am seeing this Blur when gaming that I do not get on the acer GNL 144 hz.im not sure of the exact term to describe it but when someone is running close too me in fast motion there character just looks blurry. if I do a standard motion test also the 144hz monitor is just so much more clear on a moving picture. Ive tried G-Sync on G-Sync off, overdrive off, normal, and on extreme capping the frame rate uncapping and the problem always seems to persist on either monitor! I've read other people just saying 240hz monitors are just blurry compared too 144hz and I'm starting to believe that this is just the case the only way I'm willing to pay over $500 for a monitor is if I'm using it at 240 hz or at least 200 not really trying to use a 240 at 144 when I had no real issues with my $180 144hz even though its a cheap monitor the blur is just less period. on a side note the 240hz monitors feel smooth and responsive but how they look on fast motions just seems unacceptable. Thank you for any help sorry my descriptions are not the best I've been educating myself on monitors the past few weeks on here a lot of good info but am still a relative noob to the hardware facets of things!

Nultsy

Post by Nultsy » 27 Feb 2019, 18:51

So I was digging a little deeper into the issue and what the difference could be a lot of info ended up sending me back here great site for a noob like me! my 144 hz monitor is LED which I understand to be a subcategory with different backlighting than a LCD. Both of my 240 hz are LCD that seem blurry too me I found a few articles saying that LED handles motion blur better than LCD was wondering if theres truth to this and if this could be the issue with that I'm personally seeing with these 240hz tn panels. I also feel many people with less keen eyes may not notice some of this blur on the 240 hz people who maybe don't compete or things of that nature I believe a persons eyes have a lot to do with what they are capable of seeing and getting out of a 240 hz monitor. was just curious what your guys thoughts on LED vs LCD in regards to motion blur are and if theres any hard data that can back that up as being somewhat true I consider this site to be one of the most credited sites in terms to blur! When I'm looking at monitors there are many 144 hz that are LED but in regards to 240 hz almost everyone is LCD which makes me curious if this is a problem with high refresh rate LCD. just speculating though I'm no expert. Also does anyone know of any 240 hz LED monitors I'm curious too try one out if they even exist.

MagneticDev

Post by MagneticDev » 11 Mar 2019, 06:18

Hi,
DYAC gives me eye strain too so just disable it !
I've found a cool setting with the XL2546 :
DYAC : OFF
AMA : PREMIUM
COLORS : WARM (red)
and in the factory menu, i've set OD to 6A.

[edit]
Also, I need to turn off and on instant mode to get less input lag; weird but it's working (or maybe placebo)

You can give a try!
Take care