XL2720, awful ghosting for 2D games at 60fps

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2720, awful ghosting for 2D games at 60fps

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 May 2020, 21:11

Jason38 wrote:
20 May 2020, 19:42
I was always confused as to why old games just don't look great on modern displays. I found it strange when playing new 2D games like the new Streets Of Rage 4 game and I don't see any motion blur. Then I play some old NES games and it doesn't look good and has tons of motion blur. Will you get better performance with OLED with old games due to the faster pixel response time? I know your still bottle necked with the 60hz refresh time but the pixel response time is far better then a TN panel.
Even instant 0ms GtG has lots of display motion blur!
See Why Does Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur?

Modern games avoid motion speeds that generate LCD motion blur
Modern games are specially designed to bypass LCD motion blur problem by avoiding panspeeds that are fast (e.g. one screenwidth per second panning, or one screenwidth every 2 second panning). Streets of Rage probably scrolls much more slowly than older games like Super Mario Brothers did. Speeds of 240 pixels per second looks great at 240Hz, and speeds of 120 pixels per second looks great at 120Hz (1 pixel per Hz hides motion blur well).

But when you do TestUFO-like speeds of 960 pixels/sec or 1920 pixels/sec, more similar to fast platformer panning, lots more display motion blur is created.

The Blur Busters Law
1ms of persistence translates to 1 pixel of motion blurring per 1000 pixels/sec motion.

At 1000 pixels/sec, a 60Hz display has 1/60th of 1000 pixels motion blur = 16.7 pixels of display motion blurring.

Motion blur is more directly proportional to pixel visibility time.

Sample-and-hold = blur is equal to a refresh cycle.
Impulsed = blur is equal to the strobe flash length.

Majority Cause of Display Motion Blur is EYE TRACKING

Motion blur generates this optical illusion. Look at the stationary UFO, then look at the moving UFO:

For a more interesting optical illusions,
1. See www.testufo.com/eyetracking#pattern=sta ... llscreen=1
2. See www.testufo.com/persistence

Your eyes are in different positions at the beginning of pixel visibility and end of pixel visibility. As you track your eyes -- it smears the static pixels across your retinas, generating the perceived display motion blur. This still happens with instant 0ms GtG, because of long persistence (high MPRT).

Just because a pixel changes color fast, doesn't mean the pixel disappears. A static pixel (even finished GtG) will still smear across your retinas as you eye-track.

Amazing Blur Busters Teachings about Display Motion Blur
To understand display motion blur better, please read these articles:

1. Why Does Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur?
2. High Speed Video of Strobe Backlight
3. Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000 Hz Displays
4. Pixel Response FAQ: GtG versus MPRT. There are two pixel response benchmarks
5. Optical Illusion Generated by Display Persistence (MPRT)

Remember...GtG pixel response is NOT the primary cause of display motion blur!

Also, we were the world's first site to test a 480Hz monitor:

We are extremely familiar with the relationship between display motion blur and Hz.

It's really simple to understand once this is interpreted as pixel visibility time (pixel static color) instead of pixel transition time (pixel changing color). For more explanations, study Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays to understand why 0ms GtG has lots of motion blur.

We are Blur Busters -- We Understand This Stuff!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 20 May 2020, 22:02

Thanks Chief, this is an incredible answer!

titanzop

Post by titanzop » 15 Dec 2021, 07:09

I haven't found a tutorial, just some odd mentions, of the flashrom process. Is there any way you could elaborate on the updated URLs and device id? Or if possible let me know where to find detailed instructions?