XL2411Z Firmware V1

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
LordReborn

XL2411Z Firmware V1

Post by LordReborn » 20 Apr 2014, 12:38

Hey,

I have a question about the V1 Firmware of the monitor mentioned above.
I read that BenQ regards it flaws as okay, because it is configured for the least input lag.

So when I would get a monitor with Firmware V2 , would it be configured the same way, and the difference would only be, that I could change the settings regarding the strobing the way I want them, or will it come completely different configured?

And will I be able to make it as "flawed" as V1 to get the least input lag possible?

Thanks for your time!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2411Z Firmware V1

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2014, 12:57

LordReborn wrote:I have a question about the V1 Firmware of the monitor mentioned above.
I read that BenQ regards it flaws as okay, because it is configured for the least input lag.
That is correct; however some of us prefer motion image quality, so from that perspective, the artifacts are not desirable.
However, from an input lag perspective, this may be desirable to some players (e.g. competitive game players).
For some people, the blur reduction (with the artifacts but lower lag) looks worse than without blur reduction.
However, Blur Busters Strobe Utility, allows you to choose your preferred tradeoff (an adjustable balance between minimal input lag versus best motion quality)
LordReborn wrote:So when I would get a monitor with Firmware V2 , would it be configured the same way, and the difference would only be, that I could change the settings regarding the strobing the way I want them, or will it come completely different configured?
No difference by default.
LordReborn wrote:And will I be able to make it as "flawed" as V1 to get the least input lag possible?
The V2 has the same artifacts as V1 at the default persistence/crosstalk settings (strobe duty/phase setting).

V2 does not have more input lag than V1 at default settings. There is no input lag difference.

Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LordReborn

Post by LordReborn » 20 Apr 2014, 16:17

So I will probably dont get any less input lag than in default configuration, do I understand that right?

And is there an approximate guess, how much the input lag will increase if you eliminate the worst artifacts?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2014, 17:30

LordReborn wrote:So I will probably dont get any less input lag than in default configuration, do I understand that right?
Same input lag, no less.
However, the VT1350 tweak *may* allow you to reduce input lag ever so slightly during VSYNC ON situations. (VSYNC OFF wouldn't matter)
LordReborn wrote:And is there an approximate guess, how much the input lag will increase if you eliminate the worst artifacts?
There is no approximate guess. It is an exact math. At a 135KHz horizontal scanrate, when moving the crosstalk downwards 1 scanline, you get 1/135,000th of a second more input lag. Moving the crosstalk down about one-quarter screen height, will add 1/4th of 1/120sec input lag, which is approximately 2 milliseconds. The click settings are 1/256ths of 1/120sec, so moving one click towards the right, adds that increment. However, the strobe crossstalk position varies depending on the refresh rate and how big the VT tweak is, so the lag delta will vary based on the different optimal settings for different custom resolutions.

TL;DR: The best motion picture quality configuration settings has approximately 1-2ms more input lag at 1080p 120Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LordReborn

Post by LordReborn » 20 Apr 2014, 17:55

Okay, thank you very much for your clarification!
So it seems like 1-2 ms is bearable concerning input lag.
Furthermore do you think that the monitor is worth the money even with Firmware v1? Because i probably won't get any version 2 here in Germany cause no reseller can guarantee me which version ill get and I don't plan on buying an updating device anytime soon.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Apr 2014, 19:07

LordReborn wrote:Furthermore do you think that the monitor is worth the money even with Firmware v1?
Depends on how picky you are about motion quality.
-- For me, V2 is an essential "MUST HAVE" as it feels like a major monitor upgrade for a person picky about motion fluidity. Eliminating the double-image effect is important for me. Some people agree: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=471
-- For others, V2 is not essential at all, especially if you are someone who never uses motion blur reduction (e.g. LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240, or BENQ Blur Reduction). The V1 versus V2 has no difference if you never use BENQ Blur Reduction.

I cannot answer the "Can I Live With V1?" question for you.
It is a personal decision that you have to make, whether or not you want to upgrade to V2.

That said, there are many local Germans willing to sell you a used MSTAR ISP in this thread: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=437 -- they've been posting messages in German in some of the pages of the thread.

LordReborn

Post by LordReborn » 21 Apr 2014, 18:19

First of all thank you very much for your great support!
So it seems like I have to try to get my hands on a V2 version monitor, even though I think I wouldn't want to spend an extra 60€ for the mstar isp device.
If theres someone willing to maybe lend me such a device for the price of shipping or similar, pls let me know!

jLLL

Post by jLLL » 22 Apr 2014, 09:31

I am also from germany, maybe we can find an arrangement on getting an mstar unit. I really need that monitor in v2 and it seems to me that buying such unit is the only way. But I am afraid if the warranty will be lost when uprading on our own.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Apr 2014, 14:57

jLLL wrote:I am also from germany, maybe we can find an arrangement on getting an mstar unit. I really need that monitor in v2 and it seems to me that buying such unit is the only way. But I am afraid if the warranty will be lost when uprading on our own.
The warranty is not voided -- at least not in USA.

jLLL

Post by jLLL » 23 Apr 2014, 09:24

Is the production of the Z-series in asia generally changing to v2 or is it just Benq USA flashing themselfs?
So that in the future there will be v2 monitors in other stores all over the world and not just at Benq Online Store in USA.