Input lag console 60 hz

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Angel Soler

Input lag console 60 hz

Post by Angel Soler » 14 Apr 2020, 17:54

Hello, my name Angel.
First of all I wanted to thank Chief Blur Buster for creating such a fantastic app.

I am a console player (PS4, Switch, classics, etc.) and I have bought the XL2411p monitor to use it with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility application.
I know the least laggy area is just above the strobe crosstalk band.

My question is :
Considering that I play console at 60hz, how much lag is added in this área, just above the strobe crosstalk band?

Thank you very much for everything and forgive my English. I am Spanish and I am using a translator

Falkentyne

Re: Input lag console 60 hz

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Apr 2020, 22:14

Angel Soler wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 17:54
Hello, my name Angel.
First of all I wanted to thank Chief Blur Buster for creating such a fantastic app.

I am a console player (PS4, Switch, classics, etc.) and I have bought the XL2411p monitor to use it with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility application.
I know the least laggy area is just above the strobe crosstalk band.

My question is :
Considering that I play console at 60hz, how much lag is added in this área, just above the strobe crosstalk band?

Thank you very much for everything and forgive my English. I am Spanish and I am using a translator
It's up to 16.7ms, but exactly how much depends on the distance.

You will have the lowest input lag overall if you set the strobe phase to 100 in the service menu.
I am not sure if Chief's windows utility will allow you to set the strobe phase that high (due to backlight shutoff issues at higher refresh rates when a Vertical Total tweak is used).

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 15 Apr 2020, 02:33

Thank you very much for answering me Falkentine. You're very kind.

Just one frame, then.
This monitor already has a native input lag (10 ms)....then does that extra frame add to the native one?
That is, the input would be 16.7 + 10 = 26.7?

Or the total input lag would be 16.7?

Thank you very much

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 15 Apr 2020, 04:14

Another question, please:

Can I apply vertical total tweak at 60 Hz?

Thank you.

Sorry for double question

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Apr 2020, 11:13

Angel Soler wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 04:14
Another question, please:

Can I apply vertical total tweak at 60 Hz?

Thank you.

Sorry for double question
VT tweaks are PC OS specific and cannot be applied to a console.

I forgot but 60hz VT tweaks for less strobe crosstalk have to be done differently if you're using DVI than if you're using displayport, due to an issue with the ToastyX pixel clock patcher (used for DVI only) and single rate DVI clocks and "Incorrect cable" messages, namely the VT 1354 VT tweak which works fine on 60hz displayport but causes a cable error on DVI. One problem I remember is this stopped 85hz refresh rate from working (the EDID doesn't have 85hz by default but it can still be added manually). Another problem is incorrect cable errors when trying to use 1280x960, due to it using single link clock rates. There was a way to rename the toastyx patcher to ignore patching the single link DVI limits but this caused other issues. But this was years ago and I no longer know if that issue still remains. All I recall is over DVI, there were separate issues if you patched the single clock rates (up to 165hz) or if you renamed the patcher to ignore the single clock rates. Back then renaming it with a -dl at the end of the file name would only patch the dual link pixel clock rates.

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 17 Apr 2020, 04:28

You have a lot of control over the theme :)

Thank you very much for your interest in answering me.
You're very kind.

I was delighted to discover this forum.

Until next time :)

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 21 Apr 2020, 02:38

Hello :)

My lasts questions.

I would like to leave the perfect monitor settings and I still have 3 questions please:

1)First question:

Considering that I only play in console (60hz):

I need the minimum input lag....and having the minimum input lag get the best clarity in the image (CRT style).

So, I have put:

Persistence 10
Strobe Phase 100

Are they correct values?

2) Second question:

I have read that the zone with the lowest input lag is the zone that is immediately above the crosstalk bar.
If I am playing at 60Hz, how much input lag is added in that play area?

That is, does the native input lag of the monitor add to the input lag caused by the strobe?

I would like to know what the total input lag I will have

3)Third question:

I have also read that it is important to activate AMA to HIGH AFTER activating blur reduction and AFTER configuring everything (I even have to reactivate it every time I change some parameter of the monitor, due to a bug). Is all this correct?

By last:

Should I change any parameters in the service menu? Or with the Blur Buster application it is enough.

Thank you so much for everything and Sorry for so many questions.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Apr 2020, 18:19

Angel Soler wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 02:38
1)First question:
Considering that I only play in console (60hz):
I need the minimum input lag....and having the minimum input lag get the best clarity in the image (CRT style).
There's really no minimum input lag with the strobe phase -- but you can shift the lag around -- you simply choose where on the screen you want 0ms latency. The latency gradient (relative to non-strobed latency) of strobe phase is as follows:

The crosstalk bar shifts upwards/downwards when you adjust phase:

So see these animations:

For more information, see ANIMATIONS: Adjusting Strobe Phase & Crosstalk
Angel Soler wrote:
Persistence 10
Strobe Phase 100
Personally I'd use Phase 0 for 60Hz single-strobe, but YMMV. For a strobed mode, the lowest latency is the area right above the crosstalky-bar you see.

But if you prefer lower screen-center lag and higher screen-edge lag, you can move your crosstalk bar somewhere else. It's a vertically-shiftable latency gradient.

Adjust use Strobe Utility on a PC at 1080p 60Hz, THEN swao cables to your gaming console. (It's OK to move the monitor).
Angel Soler wrote:
2) Second question:
I have read that the zone with the lowest input lag is the zone that is immediately above the crosstalk bar.
If I am playing at 60Hz, how much input lag is added in that play area?
Double the numbers in the 120Hz diagram above. +0ms lag modifier (relative to non-strobed) for area immediately right at the top edge of the crosstalk bar and increasing in a wraparound latency gradient [0...16.7ms] that wrapsaround the top edge of the screen to the bottom edge of the next refresh cycle.
Angel Soler wrote:
That is, does the native input lag of the monitor add to the input lag caused by the strobe?
It does, but remember that strobe is an latency gradient caused by the sequential scanout versus the global flash.
Angel Soler wrote:
I would like to know what the total input lag I will have
Lag is not a single number. It's a latency gradient in this case, a smoothly-ramping latency along the screen's vertical dimension.
Angel Soler wrote:
3)Third question:
I have also read that it is important to activate AMA to HIGH AFTER activating blur reduction and AFTER configuring everything (I even have to reactivate it every time I change some parameter of the monitor, due to a bug). Is all this correct?
It depends on the monitor firmwares and monitor model. Glance visually at www.testufo.com/crosstalk .... if it goes worse (like bad overdrive suddenly got added) you fix AMA.
Angel Soler wrote:
Should I change any parameters in the service menu? Or with the Blur Buster application it is enough.
Your choice. The Strobe Utility is easier because it has a built-in TestUFO. The Service Menu allows you to adjust without a computer, but you will need to run a motion test to verify. Perhaps in the web browser of your console.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 25 Apr 2020, 04:41

Thank you very much for answer me.
You are very kind

And congratulations for the app!! The App is a dream Come true for console gamer!! :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Apr 2020, 11:41

Angel Soler wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 04:41
Thank you very much for answer me.
You are very kind

And congratulations for the app!! The App is a dream Come true for console gamer!! :)
You're welcome!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!