Is Dyac worth it?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
PINPAL

Is Dyac worth it?

Post by PINPAL » 05 May 2020, 10:42

Hello, I recently purchased the Zowie XL2540 thinking that Dyac would not be worth it as I wouldn't reach my target 240fps.

Since then I have upgraded my PC but I am still able to return the monitor on Amazon. I was wondering if anybody thinks that I should return it and spend the extra to purchase the Dyac version? Also I heard there is a new XL2546S with Dyac+ and half the response time, is it worth waiting for this monitor?

Thank you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is Dyac worth it?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 May 2020, 17:46

Have you ever tested BenQ Blur Reduction on your existing XL2540?
Did you enjoy it except hated it being dim?

DyAc is the same except brighter (thanks to voltage-boosted strobe backlight).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PINPAL

Post by PINPAL » 06 May 2020, 10:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 May 2020, 17:46
Have you ever tested BenQ Blur Reduction on your existing XL2540?
Did you enjoy it except hated it being dim?

DyAc is the same except brighter (thanks to voltage-boosted strobe backlight).
I have tried the strobe utility but was unable to get any good results. I followed a number of guides but was only able to reduce the effect mildly or make it worse.

PINPAL

Post by PINPAL » 07 May 2020, 04:21

Little update, spent a long time messing around with the settings and using the moving photo test set to the map and wow, the difference is immense. I will definitely be using strobing all the time so the brightness reduction is a deal breaker.

The question I have now is do I get a XL2546 now or do I wait for the XL2546S to be released? The only differences I can see is 0.5ms GtG and Dyac+. Considering the 27" version with this feature set is already available has anybody got any thoughts on it, is it worth it over the older model?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2020, 19:38

XL2546 and XL2546S DyAc brightness is similar.

However, 0.5ms GtG will reduce strobe crosstalk for DyAc.

So I'd say go for the XL2546S over XL2546 if you're worried about reduced strobe crosstalk at higher Hz (above 180Hz).

At max-Hz, DyAc strobe crosstalk is slightly worse than ULMB crosstalk, unless you reduce refresh rate to 144Hz or 180Hz. The extra oomph of faster GtG will allow you to use a higher Hz before being distracted by strobe crosstalk (assuming you're sensitive to strobe crosstalk).

Also, be noted that strobing doesn't always help all games, it mainly helps eye-tracking situations during fast motion.

Do not forget to raise mouse DPI with strobing! (And upgrade mouse/mousefeet/mousepad if needed)
-- Raise mouse DPI (1600dpi+) and then lower in-game sensitivity. Strobing benefits from high mouse DPI, especially for slow-speed turns/medium-speed turns. This helps mouseturns become TestUFO-smooth.
-- Strobing amplifies visibility of mouse microstutter. There is no motion blur to hide tiny mouse microstutter. This is why many sees benefits in TestUFO but not in many games. It will help aim control (the esports companies are advertising strobing as an aim stabilizer during spraying bullets), but if you want to see clearer during mouseturns, you want high DPI. You need mouse slow-turns to become as smooth-motion as strafing left-right, in order for mouseturns to benefit a lot from strobed modes.
That's why I recommend 1600dpi+ (or higher), with a recent good mouse sensor, clean mouse feet, high-resolution mouse pad, etc. Yes, --- Yes, most esports players use 400dpi. That's perfectly fine without strobing on low-Hz monitors. But if you use strobing during FPS, or use ultra-high Hz (240Hz or 360Hz) then there's advantages to be had at 1600dpi+ 1000Hz+. I'm STILL waiting for mouse manufacturers do release a good-2000Hz good-3200dpi mouse, Logitech/etc "havent" yet discovered Q/A beta testing with strobe backlights yet.
-- 1600dpi can be worse than 400dpi if your mouse feet are old/dirty/scratched or with cheap mouse pads. Fix that, then you can get even more additional competitive advantages with strobing/DyAc/ULMB/etc.

<Technical>
There is a noticeable difference between 1.0ms GtG and 0.5ms GtG in reducing strobe crosstalk. This is very important for 240Hz max-Hz strobing, since slow GtG requires more refresh rate headroom below Hz to eliminate strobe crosstalk (Because you need to hide GtG pixel response in dark periods between refresh cycles, as seen in high speed video).
</Technical>

*Yes, GtG ratings 0.5ms vs 1.0ms may not be real-world. However, 0.5ms-vs-1.0ms best-case can still more-or-less translate to 5ms-vs-10ms average GtG100% realworld. That's still a huge difference. Historically, GtG ratings have been reasonably okay relative-predictors of strobe crosstalk (as long as they are honest VESA GtG90% apples-vs-apples ratings). That's why we're big advocates of faster GtG, even towards honest GtG <0.1ms, in the refresh rate race to retina refresh rates. GtG needs to be a tiny fraction of a Hz to prevent interfering with the clarity of the refresh rate. See Pixel Response FAQ: GtG versus MPRT
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PINPAL

Post by PINPAL » 07 May 2020, 19:58

Thankyou very much for the detailed response. I definitely plan to run the monitor at 240Hz and so reducing strobe crosstalk as much as possible is important to me. Hopefully the XL2546S becomes available to purchase soon :D

Thanks again for the in-depth explanation.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2020, 20:09

PINPAL wrote:
07 May 2020, 19:58
Thankyou very much for the detailed response. I definitely plan to run the monitor at 240Hz and so reducing strobe crosstalk as much as possible is important to me. Hopefully the XL2546S becomes available to purchase soon :D

Thanks again for the in-depth explanation.
You are very welcome!

ChrisB

Post by ChrisB » 08 May 2020, 00:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 May 2020, 19:38
Do not forget to raise mouse DPI with strobing! (And upgrade mouse/mousefeet/mousepad if needed)
-- Raise mouse DPI (1600dpi+) and then lower in-game sensitivity. Strobing benefits from high mouse DPI, especially for slow-speed turns/medium-speed turns. This helps mouseturns become TestUFO-smooth.
-- Strobing amplifies visibility of mouse microstutter. There is no motion blur to hide tiny mouse microstutter. This is why many sees benefits in TestUFO but not in many games. It will help aim control (the esports companies are advertising strobing as an aim stabilizer during spraying bullets), but if you want to see clearer during mouseturns, you want high DPI. You need mouse slow-turns to become as smooth-motion as strafing left-right, in order for mouseturns to benefit a lot from strobed modes.
That's why I recommend 1600dpi+ (or higher), with a recent good mouse sensor, clean mouse feet, high-resolution mouse pad, etc. Yes, --- Yes, most esports players use 400dpi. That's perfectly fine without strobing on low-Hz monitors. But if you use strobing during FPS, or use ultra-high Hz (240Hz or 360Hz) then there's advantages to be had at 1600dpi+ 1000Hz+. I'm STILL waiting for mouse manufacturers do release a good-2000Hz good-3200dpi mouse, Logitech/etc "havent" yet discovered Q/A beta testing with strobe backlights yet.
-- 1600dpi can be worse than 400dpi if your mouse feet are old/dirty/scratched or with cheap mouse pads. Fix that, then you can get even more additional competitive advantages with strobing/DyAc/ULMB/etc.
Very interesting and something Ive never heard before or that others dont touch on.
This is kind of a deal breaker with me. I was set on getting the XL2546S once it came out but my mouse sensitivity is a big deal to me. Something I have slightly tweaked over the years over several games, trying to perfect it. I cannot play super high dpi's. I play at 900 dpi max. And that is the ideal setting i play at a high level with in my most played games.
So my best bet is to get a 240hz monitor that will give me the best performance without using any strobe/ulmb tech.

The1Mach1ne

Post by The1Mach1ne » 06 Jun 2020, 07:34

"I cannot play super high dpi's. I play at 900 dpi max. "

How is playing 900 dpi x 1 sens (900edpi) different than playing 1800dpi x 0.5 sens (900edpi)?