Boost Backlight for XL2420Z with MBR?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Squeakychu

Boost Backlight for XL2420Z with MBR?

Post by Squeakychu » 08 May 2020, 01:51

I recently bought a BenQ Zowie XL2420Z monitor, as that's one of the very few monitors that can single-strobe at 60hz, and I play a lot of games that cap out at 60fps (fighting games, retro-like games, console games, etc). So far, I'm really enjoying the monitor, as MBR gives 60fps motion clarity that I've only seen with my CRT television before.

However, I'm having significant trouble finding the ideal persistence (strobe duty in the service menu), as I'm having to balance between having a dim screen, losing motion clarity in high-speed games (along with slightly more noticeable ghosting), or decreasing the gamma, giving me very washed out colors and harsh brights. For me, a persistence of 6 is the minimum clarity that I would like, but even at 10, it's still uncomfortably dim (especially at 60hz) without modifying the gamma curve.

I know that BenQ has technologies in their newer monitors, such as DyAc, to mitigate the brightness loss from strobing, but the lack of 60hz single-strobing in any newer monitors is a deal-breaker for me. Instead, I'm wondering if there's any way I can modify my XL2420Z to be brighter when strobing is on without losing much/any motion clarity in the process, (either via software or a hardmod) ? I've read that voltages can be boosted or the limiting resistor can be tweaked on lcd monitors to make them brighter, but I'm having trouble finding any info beyond that, or on how I would go about doing that on my XL2420Z monitor (or if that's even the way I should be going about this). Any information or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Note that I'm also somewhat comfortable with soldering electronics, if that ends up being needed. Thanks!

Falkentyne

Re: Boost Backlight for XL2420Z with MBR?

Post by Falkentyne » 11 May 2020, 08:42

Squeakychu wrote:
08 May 2020, 01:51
I recently bought a BenQ Zowie XL2420Z monitor, as that's one of the very few monitors that can single-strobe at 60hz, and I play a lot of games that cap out at 60fps (fighting games, retro-like games, console games, etc). So far, I'm really enjoying the monitor, as MBR gives 60fps motion clarity that I've only seen with my CRT television before.

However, I'm having significant trouble finding the ideal persistence (strobe duty in the service menu), as I'm having to balance between having a dim screen, losing motion clarity in high-speed games (along with slightly more noticeable ghosting), or decreasing the gamma, giving me very washed out colors and harsh brights. For me, a persistence of 6 is the minimum clarity that I would like, but even at 10, it's still uncomfortably dim (especially at 60hz) without modifying the gamma curve.

I know that BenQ has technologies in their newer monitors, such as DyAc, to mitigate the brightness loss from strobing, but the lack of 60hz single-strobing in any newer monitors is a deal-breaker for me. Instead, I'm wondering if there's any way I can modify my XL2420Z to be brighter when strobing is on without losing much/any motion clarity in the process, (either via software or a hardmod) ? I've read that voltages can be boosted or the limiting resistor can be tweaked on lcd monitors to make them brighter, but I'm having trouble finding any info beyond that, or on how I would go about doing that on my XL2420Z monitor (or if that's even the way I should be going about this). Any information or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Note that I'm also somewhat comfortable with soldering electronics, if that ends up being needed. Thanks!
Use a vertical total VT 1500 tweak (note: at 120hz set horizontal total to 2001 and VT to 1499 to avoid 6 bit color mode! At 100hz just use VT 1500) and then use a strobe duty between 6-9 for more brightness and lower crosstalk)