BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is good]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
r80x

Re: BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [and firmware bug]

Post by r80x » 14 May 2015, 04:36

defalkner wrote:Short story, I have 3 Asus VG248 3D displays that a friend is letting me hold for a couple months until they move that I was using. I found this site after self-educating myself on the benefits of the 120/144Hz, I used the strobe light utility on them and was blown away watching that alien just become crystal clear with strobe. The Asus though have very poor color accuracy at high refresh rates so I bought the XL2720Z last week and have been using it for 4 days now (with flawless color at 120Hz), but I too am affected by the firmware issue, but in more way than just the 'Blur Reduction' mode. The BenQ PC software stinks. Its only use is to switch color modes and brightness - other than that its worthless. I WISH they had all the monitor modes listed so I could actually make custom profiles without using the monitor to do it. And thats my next issue with it - half the time my options are all greyed out. Obviously in 3D mode (I have the nVidia 3D Vision 2 kit) options are disabled but I cannot use the black equalizer, low blue light or even blur reduction unless I'm in some weird fandangled FPS mode.

See, I have a Spyder 4 Elite and like keeping everything calibrated or at least close to calibrated on one of my 3 'gaming' profiles so I can switch quickly. Now, in the nVidia control panel if I have 3D enabled for the monitor, even if Im not gaming and just using windows normally the 3D light on the monitor is off (great!) but ALL my options are greyed out except brightness & contrast - why BenQ? I understand when I start a game that the monitor needs to run a specific way - but when your using windows the 3D is not even actually on, its in a standby state ready to engage - so I should be able to have the monitor run any of my normal profiles (eg. for video editing I use the calibrated sRGB mode), for one of my presets. So I have to go back and forth to the nVidia control panel and disable 3D Vision and then select my preset.

And then theres Blur Reduction. Compared to the Asus it looks horrible, I have multiple aliens being drawn over each other in the tests with no clearly definable details. The Asus it just perfectly clear down to 2 pixels (chasing squares). The BenQ Xl2720Z the alien looks blurry still - although slightly improved looking, overall the blur reduction (the key reason I bought the monitor) is worthless. There not enough improvement in the blur reduction with this monitor to sacrifice the light output. So my question is - with the fixed firmware, is it as clear as the Asus? I've debated how I want to approach the issue and I'm leaning more and more towards getting the tool to update the firmware. The process does not intimidate me at all, but the added cost is what annoys me. I know the admins here have access to the new firmware - but will we? (even at our own risk).

Hi!
I would be really grateful if you would like to share your calibrated monitor settings and your ICC profile!
I bought an x-rite eye-one display 2 just to discover that it's unable to calibrate LED back-lit displays.

Thank you!

Layaz

Re: BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is g

Post by Layaz » 02 Mar 2019, 18:08

Hi everyone!
I know this is an old thread but I really need the help or opinion of everyone who owns benq xl2720z. Someone is selling me his old xl2720z monitor for only $100 but it has an issue. Bottom half of the monitor display seems to be blurred or faded. Would you still buy this monitor for $100? Would it still be fixed? Thanks for the reply, it'll be a big help for me.

Btw I'm from the Philippines and electronics here are pretty expensive.

Here is the photo of the monitor

Falkentyne

Re: BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is g

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Mar 2019, 19:44

I sure wouldn't. Unless you have experience in fixing parts like this and have the hardware already needed to replace what needs to be replaced. You don't know if there's a bad or loose cable inside or if the actual M270HTN01.0 panel has to be completely replaced. And if the panel has to be replaced, you're better off just buying a new monitor. I don't know how you're going to source that panel from the philippines, even if most of the plants are in China or Taiwan, anyway.