BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is good]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
kuschluk

Re: BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [and firmware bug]

Post by kuschluk » 17 Feb 2014, 12:19

they said that there will not be another one planed to me :(

what do u think i should do ? i have no programmer

does my one work with strobe utility ? i have 6.12.13 firmware

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2014, 14:08

kuschluk wrote:they said that there will not be another one planed to me :(
EDIT: An update is forthcoming so please stay tuned for regional news on each of the BenQ sites.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

defalkner

Post by defalkner » 17 Feb 2014, 14:42

Short story, I have 3 Asus VG248 3D displays that a friend is letting me hold for a couple months until they move that I was using. I found this site after self-educating myself on the benefits of the 120/144Hz, I used the strobe light utility on them and was blown away watching that alien just become crystal clear with strobe. The Asus though have very poor color accuracy at high refresh rates so I bought the XL2720Z last week and have been using it for 4 days now (with flawless color at 120Hz), but I too am affected by the firmware issue, but in more way than just the 'Blur Reduction' mode. The BenQ PC software stinks. Its only use is to switch color modes and brightness - other than that its worthless. I WISH they had all the monitor modes listed so I could actually make custom profiles without using the monitor to do it. And thats my next issue with it - half the time my options are all greyed out. Obviously in 3D mode (I have the nVidia 3D Vision 2 kit) options are disabled but I cannot use the black equalizer, low blue light or even blur reduction unless I'm in some weird fandangled FPS mode.

See, I have a Spyder 4 Elite and like keeping everything calibrated or at least close to calibrated on one of my 3 'gaming' profiles so I can switch quickly. Now, in the nVidia control panel if I have 3D enabled for the monitor, even if Im not gaming and just using windows normally the 3D light on the monitor is off (great!) but ALL my options are greyed out except brightness & contrast - why BenQ? I understand when I start a game that the monitor needs to run a specific way - but when your using windows the 3D is not even actually on, its in a standby state ready to engage - so I should be able to have the monitor run any of my normal profiles (eg. for video editing I use the calibrated sRGB mode), for one of my presets. So I have to go back and forth to the nVidia control panel and disable 3D Vision and then select my preset.

And then theres Blur Reduction. Compared to the Asus it looks horrible, I have multiple aliens being drawn over each other in the tests with no clearly definable details. The Asus it just perfectly clear down to 2 pixels (chasing squares). The BenQ Xl2720Z the alien looks blurry still - although slightly improved looking, overall the blur reduction (the key reason I bought the monitor) is worthless. There not enough improvement in the blur reduction with this monitor to sacrifice the light output. So my question is - with the fixed firmware, is it as clear as the Asus? I've debated how I want to approach the issue and I'm leaning more and more towards getting the tool to update the firmware. The process does not intimidate me at all, but the added cost is what annoys me. I know the admins here have access to the new firmware - but will we? (even at our own risk).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2014, 15:13

Strobe crosstalk occurs on the VG248QE too. There was always more ghosting effect at the bottom edge than in the center, for example, with LightBoost -- you need to use a Full Screen "Alien Invasion" test at http://www.testufo.com/photo while Chrome is running in full screen mode -- in order to compare the top edge of the screen versus the bottom edge of the screen.

I'd say after a good calibration of the XL2720Z strobe (and with new firmware) AND combined with a Vertical Total of 1350 in Custom Resolution, AND combined with the upcoming Blur Busters Strobe Utility, the strobe clarity becomes as good as the VG248QE LightBoost=10% clarity, but with more contrast ratio (closer to 1000:1). You still have a large amount of light loss, however -- it's not as bright as the VG248QE, but neither was the other 27" models either (VG278H, XL2720T, etc). There is no Y-axis-compensated response time acceleration in the BENQ Blur Reduction, so there's a slight stronger crosstalk at bottom edge, but the center of the screen is as clear as my VG248QE ULMB, while having double contrast.

And in some respects, the screen center becomes clearer than the VG248QE, when using persistence=0.5 or persistence=1.0, since the Blur Busters Strobe Utility can adjust the strobe length down to only 0.5ms (albiet extremely dim -- less than half the brightness of LightBoost=10%). For people who find LightBoost=10% dim, this isn't good, but for those people who always found LightBoost=10% to still be too bright, but love the additional motion clarity benefits, there's no other LCD monitor I have ever seen successfully able to achieve the incredibly impressively low true-measured 0.5 millisecond persistence.

So the firmware fix, turns the XL2720Z from much worse than LightBoost or ULMB, into something that's pretty competitive (and better in several respects). You still get the brightness loss, but you get much better motion clarity, with the bonus of a wide range of adjustable persistence.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ps9923

Post by ps9923 » 17 Feb 2014, 16:30

some guy said today in another forum that he bought a benq xl2720z from a german shop with a fixed firmware and no bugs ... is that possible ? i thought benq hasn`t finished the firmware ....

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/monit ... rer-2.html

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2014, 16:34

ps9923 wrote:some guy said today in another forum that he bought a benq xl2720z from a german shop with a fixed firmware and no bugs ... is that possible ? i thought benq hasn`t finished the firmware ....

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/monit ... rer-2.html
The firmware is already installed on my XL2720Z, so it exists. What I don't know is whether or not BENQ has started shipping to which contries, when. Also, the user there will need to test with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility (coming soon) to see if it's really the fixed firmware.

kuschluk

Post by kuschluk » 17 Feb 2014, 18:11

Hey,

thanks for your work until now.

Could you share the firmware and the right programmer + a how to? Im happy to have no pixel defects etc so i dont want to ship back etc if i can handle it with 50 dollar. A Problem for me is that there is no distibutor for the MSTAR Programming Unit expect for that Credit Card Alixxxxx.com . Did anybody get a Programmer from there until now ? Or is there another place to buy one (which can progamm the xl2720z). It must be sure that it is be able to programm the 2720z.

If anybody resells his Programmer after succesfull update i would buy it too.

thx

What name is that Programming unit ? i searched via google / ebay "Mstar, dvi ,isp , programmer , utility, lcd , burn , etc" no alternative dealer or product found.

kuschluk

Post by kuschluk » 18 Feb 2014, 06:49

Sry for double but i found a second programmer:

http://cart100.com/Product/18092359047/ ... g_Tool_US/

it seems to be an older one is that yours ?

Seems they accept Paypal as payment method

This is a third programmer (not same as the aliexpress.com one)

http://cart100.com/product/5278188206/M ... grade_MSTA (now link is dead (but I have one in my cart and there are 481 available ... don't know whats happend, the product is also search listet but the productpage is down for 30 min now) UPDATE: Problem solved => product is back online now.

here the overview:
http://cart100.com/category/50008090/Di ... rops=&p=29

if my post going in the wrong direction and you dont want them to be posted plz message me.

$128.66 for both via China Air Mail payment PAYPAL

I dont ordered now because I wait until the master Chief says : "Yes it will work with one of this Programmers"

So I please you (Chief) to check out my 2 links.

PS: Sorry but i cant write PN massages at this time (and dont want to spam the forum with useless posts)

BIG UPDATE FOR MY BENQ-GERMANY TICKET:

Today they wrote me that they have contacted BenQ-Taiwan and noticed that there is no update which can fix the BlurReduction BUG until now. => They will contact me if there is one released which can handle the problem. (EDIT: Plz dont understand it wrong. they said that they are working on a firmware)

=> this fits to te comments and information in this Forum. A Beta-Firmware may be there but from BenQ you won't get an official released Firmware today (18.02.14) / or Monitor running it
Last edited by kuschluk on 18 Feb 2014, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

ps9923

Post by ps9923 » 18 Feb 2014, 13:35

Today they wrote me that they have contacted BenQ-Taiwan and noticed that there is no update which can fix the BlurReduction BUG until now. => They will contact me if there is one released which can handle the problem.
omg this seems like a never ending story ... any suggestion for another TFT ? asus , benq T series ?

LogicElite

Post by LogicElite » 18 Feb 2014, 13:40

kuschluk wrote:Hey,

thanks for your work until now.

Could you share the firmware and the right programmer + a how to? Im happy to have no pixel defects etc so i dont want to ship back etc if i can handle it with 50 dollar. A Problem for me is that there is no distibutor for the MSTAR Programming Unit expect for that Credit Card Alixxxxx.com . Did anybody get a Programmer from there until now ? Or is there another place to buy one (which can progamm the xl2720z). It must be sure that it is be able to programm the 2720z.

If anybody resells his Programmer after succesfull update i would buy it too.

thx

What name is that Programming unit ? i searched via google / ebay "Mstar, dvi ,isp , programmer , utility, lcd , burn , etc" no alternative dealer or product found.
FYI, it's been 3 weeks that i'm waiting for shipment on alixxxxx. So don't waste your time on this one :)