BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [Version 2 firmware is good]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
kuschluk

Re: BENQ XL2720Z 27" of goodness :) [and firmware bug]

Post by kuschluk » 18 Feb 2014, 15:14

LogicElite wrote:
FYI, it's been 3 weeks that i'm waiting for shipment on alixxxxx. So don't waste your time on this one :)
First i have to know if the 2 tools i posted are LCD programmers and if it has any sence to buy one. (I'm an absolut noob programming displays, the one and only programmer i have is a DIAMEX all AVR (for ATMEL microcontrollers)) => so i would be really really gratefull if the Chief says anything to the 2 links.

I don't want to waste more money than necessary ... its bad enough that an 500 € Monitor needs this special care ^^

=> but at all I'm interested in programming the display and i love it like it is at the moment so the 50$ would be okay (playing a lot of CS GO with and without the blur reduction... not really see a diffrence (ingame) at the last 1/3 of the screen with it)

Mouzuone

Post by Mouzuone » 19 Feb 2014, 09:31

BenQ Germany told me they were still looking at the detail and would release a firmware if required (haha). I gave them till the end of the week to come up with a blur buster strobe utility compatible firmware or I would have to send it back in order to protect myself from potential fees.

ps9923

Post by ps9923 » 19 Feb 2014, 13:24

ya pisses me off - how can i buy a product from a company that has such a shitty service ?

LogicElite

Post by LogicElite » 19 Feb 2014, 22:14

kuschluk wrote:
LogicElite wrote:
FYI, it's been 3 weeks that i'm waiting for shipment on alixxxxx. So don't waste your time on this one :)
First i have to know if the 2 tools i posted are LCD programmers and if it has any sence to buy one. (I'm an absolut noob programming displays, the one and only programmer i have is a DIAMEX all AVR (for ATMEL microcontrollers)) => so i would be really really gratefull if the Chief says anything to the 2 links.

I don't want to waste more money than necessary ... its bad enough that an 500 € Monitor needs this special care ^^

=> but at all I'm interested in programming the display and i love it like it is at the moment so the 50$ would be okay (playing a lot of CS GO with and without the blur reduction... not really see a diffrence (ingame) at the last 1/3 of the screen with it)
Hey let us know if you go ahead with one of these programmers.

Thanks.

kuschluk

Post by kuschluk » 20 Feb 2014, 05:25

Of course i would ... but first I would be grateful if the Blur Busters Chief says a word to the 2 programmers. My chinese is not good enough to get any information about the 2 "pieces of hardware" its just looking to the picture / topic. If there is a Chance they work i will buy first the newer than the older.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2014, 11:57

kuschluk wrote:Of course i would ... but first I would be grateful if the Blur Busters Chief says a word to the 2 programmers. My chinese is not good enough to get any information about the 2 "pieces of hardware" its just looking to the picture / topic. If there is a Chance they work i will buy first the newer than the older.
Honestly -- I'm not sure if these *specific* programmers will work.
Also, BENQ has told me they will not officially support users upgrading the monitor themselves.
However, there are situations where users who have ISP programmers, have gone ahead anyway in the past.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

benq_ripoff

Post by benq_ripoff » 20 Feb 2014, 14:36

Since Chief's review of this monitor is "delayed", here's mine:

It's a fraud. A ripoff. The blur reduction does nothing.

I have an ASUS 27" VE278 (no blur reduction, 60Hz) and the XL2720Z running the alien test side-by-side and guess what? The BenQ looks WORSE. The alien himself and grid lines are "wider", and have a grey ghost behind them that is absent on the ASUS. There is no excuse for the XL2720Z's inclusion on the list of Motion blur eliminating monitors. It is a motion blur enhancing monitor!

In case you're not put off by the monitor being a ripoff that does not live up to the product claims, here are some other WTF moments:

- Colors way off / washed out. I don't really care about this but my old ASUS had much better colors out of the box.
- Drivers/utilities not downloadable(?!?!). The monitor comes with a CD, which will be perfect the next time it's 2002. I can download some wallpapersthough, thanks BenQ.
- Utility is junk, it takes 5 minutes just to detect the displays, alters the resolution of the ASUS panel(?) and is totally confused by eyefinity.
- Fancy touch buttons suck. Two separate monitors (out of three) have a dead button, so I have to use the USB thing to navigate menus. The power button works great though, perfect for instantly shutting off the monitor by accident (which, in Eyefinity, basically needs a reboot to fix).
- Firmware updates apparently require a programmer and special permission from BenQ
- Powering down the monitor through Windows screensaver fails randomly. I'll come back from lunch and see one of the three monitors (not the same one every time) still lit up on a black screen.

I saved for a long time to upgrade to 120Hz. I planned on buying the ASUS models but they have no DisplayPort (and active DP-to-DVI adapters are expensive). After seeing positive reviews and Chief's relentless cheerleading of the monitor here on this site, I settled for BenQ. Never again.

My vendor will only exchange damaged products for another one. Since these are broken by design, there is nothing they can do for me. I've been taken for $1600 by BenQ and this website. gg no re

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2014, 15:05

benq_ripoff wrote:My vendor will only exchange damaged products for another one. Since these are broken by design, there is nothing they can do for me. I've been taken for $1600 by BenQ and this website. gg no re
Hello,
I'm so sorry to hear this:

I'm going to immediately forward your message to the people in Taiwan so they know of this.

Also, are you aware I publicized the BENQ bug on January 7th:
http://www.blurbusters.com/benq-xl2720z ... ix-coming/
I have posted several messages in several forums in this respect, so the best thing to do is wait.
Also, I have now edited the 120Hz list to recommend waiting (since you may have missed that).

From official word, BENQ Blur Reduction is not broken according to BENQ customer support, so if your vendor accept returns, they are obligated to accept returns that are deemed not defective. Return the monitors and try to get store credit. (the issue with the buttons may affect things).

Also, I have heard that in certain cases, BENQ will accept direct monitor exchanges (This would however be easier with valid contact information; Forum rules disallows disposable emails (mailinator) which you registered with -- can you edit your forum profile, please?). I understand how it feels to save up for a long time and get dissapointed, I have been there as well -- so certainly don't like to see someone left in the lurch.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 20 Feb 2014, 15:26

benq_ripoff wrote:Since Chief's review of this monitor is "delayed", here's mine:

It's a fraud. A ripoff. The blur reduction does nothing.

I have an ASUS 27" VE278 (no blur reduction, 60Hz) and the XL2720Z running the alien test side-by-side and guess what? The BenQ looks WORSE. The alien himself and grid lines are "wider", and have a grey ghost behind them that is absent on the ASUS. There is no excuse for the XL2720Z's inclusion on the list of Motion blur eliminating monitors. It is a motion blur enhancing monitor!
So you claim a 144Hz monitor w/ strobbing is producing more motion blur than a conventional 60Hz monitor...
And you're expecting anyone to take your review seriously?
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2014, 15:29

Haste wrote:So you claim a 144Hz monitor w/ strobbing is producing more motion blur than a conventional 60Hz monitor...
And you're expecting anyone to take your review seriously?
Well... Let's at least keep in mind that the strobing is flawed in the XL2720Z -- having much more crosstalk than both ULMB and LightBoost -- to the point where it often looks worse when turning on BENQ Blur Reduction (for me and several others). And this person -- out $1,600 -- could be someone who saved up for months to buy three XL2720Z's. So I can understand the dissapointment from this angle. I've been frustratedly waiting for BENQ to get the fixed firmwares on the market sooner than later, as well.

Meanwhile, I'm excited to release the Blur Busters Strobe Utility in March.
(For those few who already got the newer firmware (a firmware date of February 2014 or later) PM me to get a beta copy before the March announcement)