Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
BFone

Re: Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Post by BFone » 16 Dec 2018, 14:01

This was my problem, too, but I have found a solution, read my post:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=779&start=490#p35095

akhyg

Post by akhyg » 16 Jan 2019, 11:48

i have one XL2411z , v001 , can i still upgrade the firmware with instructions from page 20 ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2019, 20:25

AFAIK, the XL2411Z V1 does not have a unadjustable strobe issue like the XL2720Z V1. Verify to make sure that thare are useful features/fixes in your firmware that makes it worth upgrading;
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

akhyg

Post by akhyg » 17 Jan 2019, 04:59

@Chief Blur Buster , where can i read what bring v2/v3/v4 .. new to monitor , but the colors on xl2411z v1 arent so great.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2019, 17:02

The firmware upgrades won't fix color quality. You may need to reqadjust your monitor, try calibrating your monitor using the Lagom test pattern such as Lagom Contrast.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 20 Jan 2019, 15:34

About color quality...it is little patchwork but u can use ur camera(phone camera) and app Color Grab to calibrate ur display. I tried that with my 2720 and colours are bit better.
U just need grey pattern, like 30% or 80% grey and just use ur RGB sliders to take same readings in app, like 120/120/120 for RGB while playing patterns, then colours should be fine, not too much green or red or blue.10
It is not x-rite level of calibration and phone camera should be at least decent, but it worked for me.
BTW- change in app settings Camera Left Cell to RGB, so u can do readings.
[email protected], 2080s, ddr4 4100c15, sb ae-7 plus ATH M50XBT. Screen VS Elite XG270, had XL2546, XL2720Z, LG 27GK750F-B, Dell 2412M...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2019, 19:24

That's quite interesting, app-assisted monitor calibration.

It's impressive how smartphone cameras are getting good enough to do shoe-string monitor calibration. Even if not as good as as even a $150 dedicated colorimeter, that it's better than nothing in a pinch.

Thanks for your successful report on app-assisted monitor calibration!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 21 Jan 2019, 15:39

akhyg wrote:@Chief Blur Buster , where can i read what bring v2/v3/v4 .. new to monitor , but the colors on xl2411z v1 arent so great.
Benq never provided change logs.
V2 on all of the original "Z" series monitors allowed adjustable strobe phase an strobe duty for blur reduction (In the service menu).
V3 for all of the Z series monitors fixed some settings in the OSD for some of the preset bugs, that Chief blur buster had submitted to Benq, and prevented changing "AMA" when blur reduction was enabled, from causing the overdrive to get excessively overloaded, which caused massive purple overshoot artifacts in V2 (even more than what AMA Premium did by default); instead V3 allowed the default inverse ghosting to be lowered slightly (when AMA is set to high when already on high) when blur reduction is enabled, effectively unlocking a new setting, and for inverse ghosting to be removed and changed to 'normal' ghosting on the 27" versions.
There was a bug you could exploit to get this new AMA to apply to blur reduction disabled (VERY useful) but you had to use profile switching to do this--you could not do this directly otherwise.

V4 fixed a 100hz+ displayport usage bug (critical; all of the original lightboost only versions had this bug) on the displayport version Z series monitors. The XL2411Z did not have displayport, and I do not know what this fixed.

V5 = unknown.

V7 (on the XL2720Z) was a zowie logo rebrand.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 26 Jan 2019, 17:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:That's quite interesting, app-assisted monitor calibration.

It's impressive how smartphone cameras are getting good enough to do shoe-string monitor calibration. Even if not as good as as even a $150 dedicated colorimeter, that it's better than nothing in a pinch.

Thanks for your successful report on app-assisted monitor calibration!
I don't know how well the Linux method works now, nor which files or addresses have been changed (i long ago purchased a Mstar ISP device and a RT809F so I wouldn't have to worry about Linux anymore) but for those who care, the Mstar ISP device is still available here.

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/5278188 ... ment_tool/

I have absolutely no idea if the Mstar ISP device can backup or upgrade Realtek firmware branded "Zowie" monitors using the 2796BF realtek scaler or not. Probably can't (might depend on the type of flash chip..if the flash chip is still Macronix / Mstar, it MAY possibly work, but might require newer version of the software, and you would have to do a 'detect' on it to see, over DVI) and the RT809F ISP programmer had problems with verify errors when Strobemaster used it via HDMI on his XL2730Z. Obviously, a Skypro programmer (Coright) would work if you desoldered the chip and used an adapter (the Pomona 5250 IC clip only works with SOIC8 chip packages and 3.3v chips; 1.8v adapters exist for 1.8v bioses (e.g. Nvidia video card vbioses).

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » 28 Jan 2019, 22:53

Hey Falkentyne,

Small world. Usually see you at the Overclock Gigabyte Z390 thread. Was wondering though how can I check what version firmware I have on my 2411Z monitor?

Thanks