Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Firmware upgrade using Linux tool, requires no hardware

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 May 2014, 08:58

RustinSpencerCohle wrote:I have to go back to work now ;) but one question, the power button now was orange instead of green is that normal
Make sure you exit the burn-in mode. Bring up the menu (one of the buttons brings up the "burn in" menu) and then change burn in from "On" to "Off"
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pipomolo42

Post by pipomolo42 » 05 May 2014, 09:56

RustinSpencerCohle wrote:hey guys, I'm happy it worked using my old laptop from 2002. good thing I hadn't recycled that old piece yet :D

I have to go back to work now ;) but one question, the power button now was orange instead of green is that normal , maybe because of the vga cable used??
Hey! Glad to hear you solved your issue!

As Chief said, you are in Burn In mode. In my case, to exit from it, I had to let the screen go to sleep (disconnecting all inputs), and then followed the on-screen instructions (pressed Menu + Power at the same time, iirc).

pipomolo42

Post by pipomolo42 » 05 May 2014, 09:58

ziConiCz wrote:My current PC's Graphics Card doesn't even have a VGA output but I have an older laptop, Toshiba Sattellite with radeon graphics and an Intel Centrino processor and the necessary VGA output, would this do the job? Can I start installing Ubuntu onto this computer and do the flashing?
Only one way to know for sure: you'll have to try. You can boot from the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS image, and install the i2c-tools package, as I explained in an earlier post in this thread.

RustinSpencerCohle

Post by RustinSpencerCohle » 05 May 2014, 11:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RustinSpencerCohle wrote:I have to go back to work now ;) but one question, the power button now was orange instead of green is that normal
Make sure you exit the burn-in mode. Bring up the menu (one of the buttons brings up the "burn in" menu) and then change burn in from "On" to "Off"
i'm at work now, will be gone home soon, so, let the upgrade work throuhg, then the burn in mode was present, but then (i dont know why) lubuntu activated the screen or automatically showed it because it was connected and it just showed the normal desktop duplication.

i then looked in the flashing manual (with the hardware tool) description and found only the info "If your upgrade went successfully, your monitor will begin flashing solid colors in a burn-in test. To turn this off, turn off this mode by press the ENTER button and then RIGHT button on your Z-Series monitor to turn off burn-in mode." i did not exactly know by heart which buttons it where andpushed the on off button and the other second to right button beside, but that was probably wrong, should have been the second to last (from left) and the one to it's left?

nothing happened and then i turned the screen and everything off and got to work, the menu was openening like normal with the buttons, only thing the led was yellow instead of green.

so do i have to go in some kind of service menu or have i automatically left burn in mode when it showed the lubuntu desktop?

/forget it: i think i exited it somehow. now how i enter the service menu the way provided with the 2nd button from the left holding and then tapping on/off while still holding the other button doesn't do anything?!
Last edited by RustinSpencerCohle on 05 May 2014, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.

ziConiCz

Post by ziConiCz » 05 May 2014, 12:01

pipomolo42 wrote:
ziConiCz wrote:My current PC's Graphics Card doesn't even have a VGA output but I have an older laptop, Toshiba Sattellite with radeon graphics and an Intel Centrino processor and the necessary VGA output, would this do the job? Can I start installing Ubuntu onto this computer and do the flashing?
Only one way to know for sure: you'll have to try. You can boot from the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS image, and install the i2c-tools package, as I explained in an earlier post in this thread.
First of all thank you for your reply. The i2c tools package are within the links in your post and are meant to be run on the command line of the ubuntu 14.04 computer am I correct?

(Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm not really on this branch of computer technology)

pipomolo42

Post by pipomolo42 » 05 May 2014, 12:22

ziConiCz wrote:
pipomolo42 wrote:
ziConiCz wrote:The i2c tools package are within the links in your post and are meant to be run on the command line of the ubuntu 14.04 computer am I correct?
It's a tiny bit more complex: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 5882#p5882
Last edited by pipomolo42 on 05 May 2014, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

RustinSpencerCohle

Post by RustinSpencerCohle » 05 May 2014, 12:24

I did the update. but I cannot access service menu. I hold the second (from the left) button and briefly press the on button (2411z): then the screen starts without ben-q eycare logo. but there is a) no menu and b) the only reaction i get from the buttons then is either nothing or the input selection keys.

ps: i tried it with all buttons..

edit after 2 days (just to not further fill this thread with off topic info ;) )

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 5969#p5969 --> how to enter service menu on 2411z
Last edited by RustinSpencerCohle on 07 May 2014, 10:25, edited 3 times in total.

Mouzuone

Post by Mouzuone » 05 May 2014, 12:35

It's the third button to the left.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 05 May 2014, 17:22

Will be great if someone will modify firmware which disables input limit of refresh rate.
To get something like this: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48

lol37

Post by lol37 » 06 May 2014, 05:26

that's an hardware modding, not software.