XL2546 doesnt look clear and sharp while moving, grid looking

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
jeyti

XL2546 doesnt look clear and sharp while moving, grid looking

Post by jeyti » 26 Jan 2021, 15:15

Hi im new to the forum so im not sure if this category is right but let me know if its not
so i wanted to switch from 144hz to 240hz and i just bought a Benq XL2546 to play valorant and replace my old XL2411Z. (i make enough fps)

When i started playing i noticed that if i was standing still without touching my mouse or keyboard the game would look sharp and clean, but as soon as i started either just moving around with my keyboard or just standing still but moving my pov with the mouse the screen would not look sharp and clean anymore, it looks like i can see the grid of the pannel, like a lot of little squares. it stops as soon as i stop moving and comes back to sharp and clean.

i noticed the only moment when the problem doesnt occur is when im both moving myself around and also my pov. i also tried to watch some videos on youtube and as soon as the video moves i get that grid looks again.

that is very disturbing to me because the image is inconsistent.
i didn't have this issue with my old XL2411Z but what im trying to understand is if, the problem is my monitor itself, this benq line, or just any 240hz monitor. i need to understand that in order to either send it back and get a new xl2546, change brand and get the asus one, or just get used to it, or in the last case send it back and use my xl2411z

i know its a weird problem, and its even harder for me to try and explain it but i hope some of you understood it and can help me.
Thanks everyone

DukeDice929

Re: XL2546 doesnt look clear and sharp while moving, grid looking

Post by DukeDice929 » 27 Jan 2021, 07:01

Sounds like pixel inversion artifacts, typical for most TN panels. Try to disable DyAc and see how it looks after.
https://www.testufo.com/inversion

*How much did you pay for it? Honestly, not the best choice for 2021 gaming, unless you're using strobe mode (DyAc) or making money (esports). Get the BenQ's newer XL2546K if you like TN's or 240Hz+ fast-IPS panel.
My bad English :0

chad sugden

Post by chad sugden » 03 Oct 2021, 00:24

jeyti wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 15:15
Hi im new to the forum so im not sure if this category is right but let me know if its not
so i wanted to switch from 144hz to 240hz and i just bought a Benq XL2546 to play valorant and replace my old XL2411Z. (i make enough fps)

When i started playing i noticed that if i was standing still without touching my mouse or keyboard the game would look sharp and clean, but as soon as i started either just moving around with my keyboard or just standing still but moving my pov with the mouse the screen would not look sharp and clean anymore, it looks like i can see the grid of the pannel, like a lot of little squares. it stops as soon as i stop moving and comes back to sharp and clean.

i noticed the only moment when the problem doesnt occur is when im both moving myself around and also my pov. i also tried to watch some videos on youtube and as soon as the video moves i get that grid looks again.

that is very disturbing to me because the image is inconsistent.
i didn't have this issue with my old XL2411Z but what im trying to understand is if, the problem is my monitor itself, this benq line, or just any 240hz monitor. i need to understand that in order to either send it back and get a new xl2546, change brand and get the asus one, or just get used to it, or in the last case send it back and use my xl2411z

i know its a weird problem, and its even harder for me to try and explain it but i hope some of you understood it and can help me.
Thanks everyone
hey man did you end up finding a fix. i brought a 2746s a few weeks back and noticing the exact same stuff... this grid pixel looking stuff when moving around in CSGO and valorant

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Oct 2021, 14:39

chad sugden wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 00:24
They man did you end up finding a fix. i brought a 2746s a few weeks back and noticing the exact same stuff... this grid pixel looking stuff when moving around in CSGO and valorant
Are you talking about inversion artifacts?

Currently, the best fix is an IPS panel -- they are immune to this type of inversion artifact.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Oct 2021, 00:03

I don't believe that these are inversion artifacts.
I've seen these myself.

They are not present if both DyAc and Gsync (Freesync) are disabled

They only seem to appear if either DyAc is enabled or if Freesync is enabled. Freesync sometimes shows them worse on certain objects.
I could be wrong about this though.

lagom.nl LCD test doesn't seem to pick up any polarity issues on the inversion test (no green or weird things happening).

I think one way to instantly reproduce them is in Test UFO / alien invasion (with Dyac) and use a certain scrolling speed. (obviously I can't do that with freesync mode).

One speed may show them clearly as some sort of "interlaced vertical pixels" to the left of the red bar ghosting pattern.
Then the very next speed there's nothing at all.

At 165hz, for example,
I see it at 480 pix/sec, nothing at 600 pix/sec, I see them again slightly at 720 pix/sec (for some reason, 600 and 720 show the same scrolling speed unless you go to 960 or 480 first, then go back to the other one, Chief!),, then I see them very obviously at 840 pix/sec and
they don't seem to be there are 960 pix/sec.

With DyAc disabled, there's no issue at all (besides the blurriness of course).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Oct 2021, 02:58

Falkentyne wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 00:03
I don't believe that these are inversion artifacts.
I've seen these myself.
They ARE artifacts related to the inversion algorithm. Definitely.

They can become more intense/fainter with different overdrive algorithms, and different frametimes, or frame cadences.

Inversion is normally invisible, but they can become visible under certain conditions, especially during low framerates on VRR displays, and strobing amplifies the visibility of normally-hidden inversion artifacts.

Inversion is the panel-protecting system that swaps voltages (positive polarity and negative polarity) both temporally and spatially, and is explained in these threads:

viewtopic.php?t=3629
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

chad sugden

Post by chad sugden » 23 Oct 2021, 23:20

hi no i dont think so.. this is more of a fly screen effect im getting. even when get 400-500 fps in valorant.

i also get see it when watching youtube.

i think i might have a defective monitor. be i never seen it before on my 10 year old XL2740z 144hz monitor

even when i set the monitor to 144hz through invida as soon as a put on dyac i see thick vertical lines...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Nov 2021, 22:57

Can you photograph the artifact?
(preferably a few photos using a faster shutter speed of one half refresh cycle, maybe with a 3rd party app’.

The example photo I posted single pixel chessboard patterns are definitely inversion artifact related, but if it’s looking different on your unit, I’d like a photo for diagnosis.

Indi60kid

Post by Indi60kid » 05 Feb 2022, 11:10

Hey guys, I've seen you talking about these things on the thread and I'm having the exact same problem right now, I think. In CS:GO and even on Steam Overlay I can see these artifacts with Dyac enabled (Premium or High) it's the same, they only disappear when I turn them off.

https://youtu.be/y8CE3qPm0ow

Any way to fix that? Cheers!