HELP wanna buy XL2420T to OC

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Sosabang

HELP wanna buy XL2420T to OC

Post by Sosabang » 31 Mar 2021, 18:54

Hello, i am selling my actual nixeus vue24b which is clocked to 157hz on 1080P, but i discovered this benq xl series thing, i found a 2nd hand monitor benq xl2420t but the 120hz dont talk me about the price i dont care i just want higher hz and its low price.

So this is not 144 but 120hz version of xl2420t with the S-switch, but i didnt understood about the "out of range" bypass with the s-switch, can someone explain me really of to do or send a short tutorial video, because in the original topic the guy saying "just press on one of the saved modes on sswitch" like should i save modes on it? and which and how? then should i choose the overclocked mode with the sswitch?

There is no really explicit explanation. And should i buy this 120hz version or its bad? or maybe better because older. thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: HELP wanna buy XL2420T to OC

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2021, 16:51

Sosabang wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 18:54
Hello, i am selling my actual nixeus vue24b which is clocked to 157hz on 1080P, but i discovered this benq xl series thing, i found a 2nd hand monitor benq xl2420t but the 120hz dont talk me about the price i dont care i just want higher hz and its low price.

So this is not 144 but 120hz version of xl2420t with the S-switch, but i didnt understood about the "out of range" bypass with the s-switch, can someone explain me really of to do or send a short tutorial video, because in the original topic the guy saying "just press on one of the saved modes on sswitch" like should i save modes on it? and which and how? then should i choose the overclocked mode with the sswitch?

There is no really explicit explanation. And should i buy this 120hz version or its bad? or maybe better because older. thanks
XL2420T is one of the early models (LightBoost based) which does not support Blur Busters Strobe Utility (oldest monitor that works is XL2420Z or XL2411Z, but the XL2420T is an even older model).

However, the XL2420T is indeed overclockable (up to a bit over 200Hz for some models) with the same "out-of-range-bypass" overclocking trick. You just won't be able to use strobe-based motion blur reduction at other than 85Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz on these models via the LightBoost HOWTO. If you've never heard of motion blur reduction modes, see Motion Blur Reduction FAQ. You might not use these modes, but I thought you should know.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 01 Apr 2021, 19:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 16:51
Sosabang wrote:

XL2420T is one of the early models (LightBoost based) which does not support Blur Busters Strobe Utility (oldest monitor that works is XL2420Z or XL2411Z, but the XL2420T is an even older model).

However, the XL2420T is indeed overclockable (up to a bit over 200Hz for some models) with the same "out-of-range-bypass" overclocking trick. You just won't be able to use strobe-based motion blur reduction at other than 85Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz on these models via the LightBoost HOWTO. If you've never heard of motion blur reduction modes, see Motion Blur Reduction FAQ. You might not use these modes, but I thought you should know.
There was talk about the XL2420T many years ago. Don't remember much but I do know, and some of masterotaku's posts, that the Benq versions with Lightboost mode had MUCH worse ghosting than the Asus VG248QE's Lightboost, and this applied to the original "Z" models (which didn't work with ToastyX's strobelight utility, you needed an actual Nvidia card with one of the other howto methods to enable Lightboost mode, so it was just better to use Benq Blur Reduction). Some people even in recent posts have still been using the old VG248QE just because of how fast it was. Just the gamma gets trashed at higher refresh rates.

The XL2420T can at least be nicely overclocked. The VG248QE, even though it uses the exact same panel, just locks "Out of Range" with no way to bypass the black screen, so you're locked to 144hz. The Asus had miles better overdrive, probably the monitor with the single best overdrive of any of that era. The only thing the Benq had over the Asus was the s-switch overclock workaround (which no one knew about back then!) and a Gamma setting, which would help with the gamma shift at higher refresh rates.

Sosabang, why are you so hard locked on buying a XL2420T? If you say price isn't important (confused by your English, you seem to first want low price, then "Price isn't important"?), grab a XL2420Z (Benq) or XL2420 (Zowie), for the blur reduction and 60hz strobe capability (any newer Benq NOT using the Mstar scaler is lacking the 60hz single strobe feature), or maybe consider the Viewsonic XG270? The XG270 is going to look MILES better than anything you can get from Benq at the moment! And there's the upcoming XG2421 very soon too!

If you want fast hz and good image quality, XG270 or the upcoming XG2431 will be better for you. You said price isn't important (??).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2021, 20:01

Falkentyne wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 19:54
If you want fast hz and good image quality, XG270 or the upcoming XG2431 will be better for you. You said price isn't important (??).
I interpreted it as price actually being important --

To original poster, one important question is: Do you plan to use motion blur reduction? That could determine which model of monitors you purchase.

That said, if you're offered a great deal on an XL2420T (like say under $100), then it's a steal for a 200Hz-OC capable monitor, even if you never use strobing. The S-Switch inclusion makes it much easier, since you just press a button to dismiss the "OUT OF RANGE" to reveal the unlocked overclock mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

FastDuck

Post by FastDuck » 17 Apr 2021, 07:01

Sosabang wrote:

Use switch, when you see error message, just press any key with profile. Profile settings is no matter. I can send you video instruction