[FIXED] "Menu and Exit to Burn in Off"

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Axle Grease

[FIXED] "Menu and Exit to Burn in Off"

Post by Axle Grease » 12 Jun 2014, 04:36

I tried out the MStar upgrader by hooking up the VGA cable, but the ISP tool would only respond with "program file not ready" until I went into the service menu and set “DVI HPD” to “On”. It eventually found the device after that, even though I have no DVI cable hooked up between the upgrader and the monitor, only the VGA cable. Anyway, I managed to upgrade the firmware of my XL2720Z to V2. The ISP tool displayed a "PASS".

The problem is I can't get the monitor out of in-burn mode

"15) If your upgrade went successfully, your monitor will begin flashing solid colors in a burn-in test."

It does this only when the monitor goes into standby. I only noticed the cycling after shutting down windows. While cycling block colours the monitor shows the message "Menu and Exit to Burn Off". When I click on the Menu button at this point all I get is a list of inputs to choose from.. DVI, Dsub, hdmi etc..., but nothing else.

The instructions say: "To turn this off, turn off this mode by press the ENTER button and then RIGHT button on your Z-Series monitor to turn off burn-in mode."

"Enter"? Is that the return button on the S-switch? and by "right button" do you mean the 3rd LED on the XL2720Z?

Also, before the upgrade I could get to the service menu. I can't get into it now.. I suspect this is because the monitor is stuck in in-burn mode.

At least I have full menu functionality while the monitor detects a signal from the PC, but I still can't get to the service menu nor get the monitor out of in-burn mode. Can anyone please help?
Last edited by Axle Grease on 13 Jun 2014, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: "Menu and Exit to Burn in Off"

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jun 2014, 08:14

Some of the monitors (11Z vs 20Z) have conflicting instructions.

Instead of pressing the MENU button, press a different button, I think the second or third from top. Even try the fourth. Reboot (power cycle) the monitor if necessary.

Let me know if this works.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Axle Grease

Post by Axle Grease » 12 Jun 2014, 13:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Some of the monitors (11Z vs 20Z) have conflicting instructions.

Instead of pressing the MENU button, press a different button, I think the second or third from top. Even try the fourth. Reboot (power cycle) the monitor if necessary.

Let me know if this works.

Hello, chief. The menu button is the 4th from the top on my XL2720Z when the monitor is active. However the block colour cylcing only happens in standby, and only the 3rd button works in standby. All the 3rd button does is display a list of inputs. Cycling the power makes no difference. I tried other combination but no luck so far. And I'm still not sure which button your instructions are referring in the case of the "ENTER button".

Axle Grease

Post by Axle Grease » 12 Jun 2014, 23:58

At least I now know how to get to the service menu. It's different after the upgrade.

1) The PC should be on.
2) Turn off monitor (press Power button)
3) Hold down Menu button and press Power button once.
4) Continue to hold down the Menu button until monitor turns on.
5) Release the Menu button, then press the Menu button once more.

It's too bad there's no option in the service menu to end in-burn mode.

Axle Grease

Post by Axle Grease » 13 Jun 2014, 00:16

OMG, I'm brilliant. I thought I tried that combination a half dozen times yesterday. It's hold down Menu (button 4) and press Exit (button 5) while the monitor is in standby cycling block colours in order to exit the in-burn mode. Now the strobe utility works without an error.

Thanks, me.

Why, you're very welcome.