Flashed XL2411T to XL2411Z V2, it kind of works.

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Dasky

Flashed XL2411T to XL2411Z V2, it kind of works.

Post by Dasky » 13 Jun 2014, 15:43

So against the advice I could find I decided to flash my old T model with the new Z V2 firmware. I used the linux flashing method and all went well. The monitor continues to work and displays the correct version under the service menu and the model XL2411Z under information in the OSD but there are a few issues.

The display is detected as a non-pnp display using DVI and detected as a XL2411T using the VGA (HDMI not tested). I believe this is due to the EDID not being updated. After flashing the display, the service menu that popped up and complained about not being able to read the EDID. There is a utility to write the EDID @ https://github.com/bulletmark/edid-rw but I've not tested it and would require a kind person to dump the EDID from a XL2411Z.

Display brightness seems dimmer @ 100% probably the result of the faster PWM signal I'd probably say it close to the 50% brightness setting on the original firmware.

Enabling the blur reduction just makes the display brighter, which I expected after reading http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php ... ht_signals. This should just be a small hardware mod which I believe I'm capable of doing but I'd like to get the firmware/software fixed first.

The blur busters strobe utility does detect the display if I use the XL2411Z.inf and allows adjustment which I can confirm in the service menu.

I've currently flashed back to the original firmware with no issues until I can get the EDID for the XL2411Z I'm a little stuck.

Any thoughts on the best way of updating the EDID would be greatly appreciated.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Flashed XL2411T to XL2411Z V2, it kind of works.

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 13 Jun 2014, 21:20

There are several EDID's: for DVI, for VGA(D-SUB), for HDMI. I hope u will get EDID soon. Btw http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion- ... dware-mod/

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 14 Jun 2014, 03:45

I've made several variants of same edid: .bin .hex .inf
edid (DVI) from BenQ XL2411T V1 firmware attached
mirror: https://mega.co.nz/#!xg93lbhT!WDWNXBPLJ ... kuU6zVTyAI
Attachments
xl2411z_v1_edid.zip
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

Dasky

Post by Dasky » 14 Jun 2014, 07:43

Q83Ia7ta wrote:I've made several variants of same edid: .bin .hex .inf
edid (DVI) from BenQ XL2411T V1 firmware attached
mirror: https://mega.co.nz/#!xg93lbhT!WDWNXBPLJ ... kuU6zVTyAI
Thanks for the link and the EDID :), it will probably be sometime next week before I play around some more. I'll update the thread when I get some more news.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2014, 12:51

Dasky wrote:So against the advice I could find I decided to flash my old T model with the new Z V2 firmware.
I considered doing the same on my old XL2411T until I read StrobeMaster's work at display-corner.

I thought it probably would partially work except for blur reduction. I guess while the blur reduction did not work (or did it partially? What did TestUFO look like?), the higher PWM frequency could be useful for people looking for something resembling PWM-free operation. You would also gain Low Blue Light and extra adjustments, that could make XL2411T slightly more eye friendly, but not as bright. Your warranty will be voided as it might be driving the backlight electronics beyond the T specs (not sure)

Too bad the blur reduction feature is not enabled through this method due to the electronics difference. It is good to know you were able to firmware downgrade too!

Thanks for posting this interesting test!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dasky

Post by Dasky » 14 Jun 2014, 17:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Dasky wrote:So against the advice I could find I decided to flash my old T model with the new Z V2 firmware.
I considered doing the same on my old XL2411T until I read StrobeMaster's work at display-corner.

I thought it probably would partially work except for blur reduction. I guess while the blur reduction did not work (or did it partially? What did TestUFO look like?), the higher PWM frequency could be useful for people looking for something resembling PWM-free operation. You would also gain Low Blue Light and extra adjustments, that could make XL2411T slightly more eye friendly, but not as bright. Your warranty will be voided as it might be driving the backlight electronics beyond the T specs (not sure)

Too bad the blur reduction feature is not enabled through this method due to the electronics difference. It is good to know you were able to firmware downgrade too!

Thanks for posting this interesting test!
Due to the EDID being incorrect I wasn't able to get 120Hz, I did briefly try CRU but it wasn't playing ball. I ran the UFO test at 60Hz and it was exactly the same with and without blur reduction enabled. I also used the blur busters strobe utility and didn't notice any brightness change with the persistence setting.

I tried flashing the EDID this morning but it looks like it has write protect enabled. I used a few different programs to try and write the EDID - WinI2C, edid-rw and i2cset but no luck. I noticed a few posts mentioning benq's particularly the xl2420t didn't have write protection but I guess I'll just open it up and lift the pin. Just hoping it's not my graphics card causing me problems tried a AMD 7950 and Intel GPU.

If nothing else it's certainly a learning experience. :)

EDIT: Lifted the pin and no difference, best I look for an old gpu.

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm a moron, when you lift a pin make sure it's actually still not touching. I even hooked up a Bus Pirate before checking again. I've updated the the EDID with WinI2C and my 7950. Interestingly the XL2411T is happy with the new EDID and detected as XL2411Z by Windows. I've flashed the Z V2 firmware and everything seems well, I can confirm blur reduction is not working but I'll be looking into that tomorrow with the oscilloscope it's almost 4am.

On a side note you can just use DVI to update the firmware no VGA cable required.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Jun 2014, 22:02

This feels like area 51 worthy if you mod the hardware to get blur reduction working. Nice job.

Dasky

Post by Dasky » 15 Jun 2014, 11:40

No luck finding the strobe signal, everything else is working as expected. Just the green wire doesn't appear to do anything. I'll have to flash back and check to see if it actually works when using lightboost.