Is there a way I can under clock monitor's refresh rate?

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
sepiashimmer

Post by sepiashimmer » 19 Jul 2019, 08:34

Will under clocking or over clocking a monitor's refresh rate make subliminal messages less effective?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way I can under clock monitor's refresh rate?

Post by RealNC » 19 Jul 2019, 10:23

I don't know about subliminal messages, but I've been "underclocking" monitors for a long time using ToastyX CRU". My previous monitor only had a 60Hz mode. Nothing else. So I used CRU to add 50Hz (for viewing European PAL Formula 1 races, which are 50FPS). I also added a 48Hz mode (for viewing 24FPS movies).

Many monitors will accept lower refresh rates without issues. But there's also many that won't. Or a combination of both. Some monitors will accept much lower Hz than others. Mine would bottom out at 42Hz, for example. Others might be able to go even lower.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Man

Post by Man » 05 Aug 2021, 11:10

RealNC wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 10:23
I don't know about subliminal messages, but I've been "underclocking" monitors for a long time using ToastyX CRU". My previous monitor only had a 60Hz mode. Nothing else. So I used CRU to add 50Hz (for viewing European PAL Formula 1 races, which are 50FPS). I also added a 48Hz mode (for viewing 24FPS movies).

Many monitors will accept lower refresh rates without issues. But there's also many that won't. Or a combination of both. Some monitors will accept much lower Hz than others. Mine would bottom out at 42Hz, for example. Others might be able to go even lower.
I deeply apologize for bringing this old thread to life but I'd truly appreciate it if you could tell me the procedure of underclocking the monitor. I've been Googling for ages about almost all tutorials cover only overclocking and you seem to be the only person on the whole internet who have been underclocking his monitors with CRU hence the 'exhumation' of this old thread!

For reference, I've an Asus VH222T monitor (1080p60) and I'm trying to underclock it to 48Hz (for 24FPS films) and perhaps even 40Hz, if possible, as my GPU is struggling to run a lot of titles at 1080p60 or even 900p60 and 30FPS half-vsync cap is just... awful.

I'm a total noob when it comes to tinkering with monitors so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Aug 2021, 20:37

Man wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 11:10
I deeply apologize for bringing this old thread to life but I'd truly appreciate it if you could tell me the procedure of underclocking the monitor. I've been Googling for ages about almost all tutorials cover only overclocking and you seem to be the only person on the whole internet who have been underclocking his monitors with CRU hence the 'exhumation' of this old thread!
It's almost exactly the same procedure as overclocking, except there is never a need to patch the GPU driver. In CRU (in the nvidia control panel, whatever you prefer,) you add a new mode and then test it. That's it. If it doesn't work, you try different CRU timings (like "auto" or "LCD".) If nothing works, then the monitor is not underclockable.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.